Thread: TB.....Again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TB.....Again.

Following on from the various threads on the subject, and having spent far to long reading & replying to posts on the numerous articles on media sites, could we have a debate on how it would be best to go about tackling TB, and the huge overpopulation of Badgers in Britain, head on ?

I will start the ball rolling by saying we need a combination of culling Badgers in heavily infected area's & Vaccinating Badgers where they are clean! (yes, I know...stating the obvious)

And I would suggest that this could be achieved by a 3 way "coalition".

Central Government can fund the trapping and testing of Badgers in all areas to establish which Badgers have to be culled & Which Badgers have to be vaccinated...that way the Government are seen to be impartial !

Organisations such as The Badger Trust, RSPCA and The National Trust etc could fund the Vaccination program....they would therefore "not have blood on their hands" which would appease both their members & the Public.

Leaving Farmers, The NFU & possibly the CLA to fund the culling. Farmers & the NFU would obviously bare the brunt of any public outcry...but there is nothing new in that as we are already judged as being blood thirsty wildlife murdering so & so's !!!!!!!!!!!

Re: TB.....Again.

Annual testing of all cattle.
    Pre movement testing from areas where there has been TB but on a logical area base, not just by Counties.

Take Badgers off the protected list and reduce their numbers. There will still be plenty of Badgers but there will be a chance for many other species to survive.
    Kill all Badgers in an area where there is an outbreak or if people wish to vaccinate then they should pay, not the government.

Take Badgers off the protected List, all monies currently spent on vaccination, culling and annual testing stopped, to be re-invested in PCR sett tests, infected setts destroyed, setts with no positives left severely alone but monitored. I would then be prepared to pay for annual testing of my cattle if these ensures were in place.

Vaccination of badgers isn't the way forward - cattle vaccination possibly if the vaccination is 90% plus effective, but I don't believe it will be.

[QUOTE=Songsheet;174917]Take Badgers off the protected List, all monies currently spent on vaccination, culling and annual testing stopped, to be re-invested in PCR sett tests, infected setts destroyed, setts with no positives left severely alone but monitored.

I agree with the PCR test part, there would have to be some baiting with perhaps some coloured plastic pellets mixed in so any testing of dung could be identified to certain sets.

+1 for Phil suggestions

Badger vaccination is worth a try in Northern England . Cheshire northwards? May not work but has to be worth a try.

Far more openness about TB status in an area. Should know if there is a local breakdown. Data base linked to ear tag codes ?

I like the N.Z. system where each farm has a TB status code attached .
    C 5= clear for 5 years, buy one animal from a C2 farm and you drop to C2
    I = infected

I would be C1

Quote Originally Posted by Songsheet View Post
    Take Badgers off the protected List, all monies currently spent on vaccination, culling and annual testing stopped, to be re-invested in PCR sett tests, infected setts destroyed, setts with no positives left severely alone but monitored. I would then be prepared to pay for annual testing of my cattle if these ensures were in place.
    Songsheet, good suggestions, I agree with infected setts being destroyed to prevent reinfection, there would be a serious risk of reinfection if clean badgers colonised the empty setts.

In the meantime I would like to see TB testing reduced to a maximum gap of two years and other animals brought into a more rigourous testing protocol. All Camelids to be subject to the same registration (eartagging or tattooing), movement restrictions and testing as cattle. Sheep, pig, camelid, deer, goat and horse to be subject to same testing/examination at abbatoirs. Random testing of fallen stock to check % infected of above animals. Compulsory notification and testing of suspicious symptoms in pets.

All possible TB infections in humans to be tested for type.

All badgers that are vaccinated to be microchipped. We will then know more about the efficacy of the vaccine over the next few years.

Finally, and this is one of the most important points, NO RELEASE of badgers or foxes into the wild/country from the animal sanctuarys and RSPCA. (Again, all suspicious symptoms in animals to be reported) This would also apply to the removal of badgers to other areas by various groups. Heavy fines for any breaches.

Just my thoughts over the last few months on how to try to clear the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by jade35 View Post
    All badgers that are vaccinated to be microchipped. We will then know more about the efficacy of the vaccine over the next few years.

Finally, and this is one of the most important points, NO RELEASE of badgers or foxes into the wild/country from the animal sanctuarys and RSPCA. (Again, all suspicious symptoms in animals to be reported) This would also apply to the removal of badgers to other areas by various groups. Heavy fines for any breaches.

Just my thoughts over the last few months on how to try to clear the mess.
    Micro chipping is a brilliant idea.

stopping movement of badgers etc is essential and needs to be severely penalised on the same level as current legislation for interference.

Realistically - how possible is it to remove Badger from the list of protected species?