Thread: Dodgy campaign alert

Dodgy campaign alert

What a good idea - not.
    A bit like the mass releases of chinese lanterns.

Hi guys,

With next year marking the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War, I have heard a great idea to commemorate the event and hopefully bring awareness to those who are blissfully unaware of the sacrifice made by our antecedents, sometimes the ultimate one.

PLANT POPPY SEEDS NOW.

As the poppy season is roughly anytime soon, it is too late for now, but if you were to plant poppy seeds within the next few months, they will be blooming this time next year and if we do this in areas which we know to be relatively wild to nature, we can have a national tribute to all of these souls and those who have given their all since.

Hedgerows, wildlife gardens, school gardens, communal areas which are generally not mown regularly, woodland areas which have public walks through.

For about 3, you can get 5 Kilos of seeds, which is enough to turn your village/town/garden/etc. red in the memory of those who have fallen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIELD-POPPY-WILDFLOWER-BULK-PACK-40000-SEEDS-5g-wild-flower-seed-/281009402228?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DS IC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%25 2BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D281094910007%26ps%3D54

I have just ordered 20Kg and plan to turn as much of Aberporth as red as I can.

I have facebooked my frieds, contacted my local press and even the BBC in order to try to get this a national thing and get the country back to having pride in our rememberance.

Thanks for listening.

Oh, BTW, I know that many of you have your own opinions on conflicts, wars, rememberance, poppies, etc. so if this post offends you, I whole heartidly apologise to you now and would appreciate it if you respect my feelings and keep any replies to the constructive.

Cheers

Re: Dodgy campaign alert

Presumably the permission of the landowner will be gained? Otherwise can't see it as a problem (unless you use non-native species of-coarse) because they will only germinate if the soil is tilled- like they did with all those shells in 1914..
    Yes perhaps a good intention poorly thought through.

Where did you see the post?

They are in for a nasty shock as the link is selling it by 5 gram lots not 5 kilogram.

5kg would cost them 3,790 if they bought them from there.

I doubt it will catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robigus View Post

They are in for a nasty shock as the link is selling it by 5 gram lots not 5 kilogram.
    Yep his 20kg "bulk buy" could arrive through his letterbox for the cost of a 2nd class stamp

There are a few people around Aberporth that are nearer to Cloud-Cuckoo Land than Cardigan. Away with the fairies. Perhaps they have too much regular contact with poppies?
    The Duck 2015

I am just up the road from there. Too cold and windy for much to survive most of the time. As they only grow in newly tilled soil as has been said, and then reluctantly, they are more likely to get a lovely crop of weeds.

Don't need to be just red petalled poppies though .............

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    What a good idea - not.
    A bit like the mass releases of chinese lanterns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    There are a few people around Aberporth that are nearer to Cloud-Cuckoo Land than Cardigan. Away with the fairies. Perhaps they have too much regular contact with poppies?
    There's no doubt about it, there's some twats about.......

I'm extremely interested in WW1, have been since a teenager and have visited France and Belgium many times. There is plenty to do, to educate and to commemorate without this dopey () idea taking root. Who thinks of these things?

And while I'm on my soapbox, why, yes why are sky lanterns still legal? Went to a rural wedding a few weeks ago and during the evening a few floated skywards. No one saw my point, no one gave a sh*t and had I been so inclined, the evening could have ended with a wine fuelled ruck.

It's such a simple decision. Just ban them