Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cultivator bought on e-bay ???

Thumbs up Cultivator bought on e-bay ???

We wanted a small second hand spring tine cultivator to go behind our compact tractor...so had a look on e-bay.

Sure enough one came up that was not too far from us, no description in the listing other than it had not been used in a long while & needed a couple (8 in fact) of new tines. The guy has 100% feed back (as we do) so we decided to bid on it.
    We won the Auction the following day with a bid of £155.00.
    I immediately e-mailed the guy to ask the exact location. He replied with the address & postcode.
    It was further than I wanted to take our little compact on the road, and I didn't really want the hassle of driving the MTX 150 through the middle of Exeter & out the other side...so I sent him another e-mail & asked what size & weight the cultivator was so I could be sure it would fit in a mates medium sized ifor williams trailer.
    Turned out that the Cultivator in question was over 8 feet wide...so too big for the trailer, but more to the point it was too big for the compact.

I immediately e-mailed the guy & told him that the cultivator was too big for what we wanted, but as it was partly my own stupid fault for not asking about the size Before we bid on it, I had paid in full (via paypal) & asked that he relisted the thing & then, once he had sold it and received cleared funds, refunded at least £100.00 of the £155.00 we had paid him.
    We did not get a reply....but a few days later noticed that he had in fact re-listed the item ! A couple of days later it sold for £58.00.
    Another week passed without hearing from him so I sent him an e-mail...and this is what transpired -

Pleased to see you sold the Cultivator last weekend.
    We look forward to receiving our refund.

Phil.

Please forward bank details and I will transfer the£58 direct to you.
    Regards

I Have given this some thought....and you are not really showing us a lot of respect to be honest !
    After winning the Auction we could have easily just said "changed our minds...don't want it" and not paid you for it.
    The worst you could have done is leave us Negative Feedback.
    We did not do that - we explained the situation to you & paid in full...and asked that you refund £100.00 of the £155.00 selling price, once you had sold the item. I thought that £55.00 for your trouble was a very generous gesture!
    You now take the piss & insult us by offering us 58 quid ???

If that is how you want to play it then fine.....I will open a case with both e-bay & paypal asking for a refund of the full £155.00 - on the grounds that the description in your listing was not accurate.

Phil.

Phil
    When you bid on an item on ebay, it is your responsibility to ensure it is what you want. The item was not described inaccurately.
    If you had picked the item up and then decided it was not what you wanted, relisted and subsequently resold the item, you would have realised the same amount that I have realised, which I am willing to refund to you (without you having to lift a finger). Why you think I should give you more back than I got for the item is beyond comprehension. You should not have bid in the first place and wasted everybody’s time. If you are willing to accept the £58 I will forward a cheque to you.
    I look forward to receiving your reply.

We don't need a lecture in who has what responsibility when it comes to buying & selling on e-bay !
    After the sale, having been told by you how big the cultivator was, we realised we had made a genuine mistake & the machine was to large !
    You seem to be totally ignoring the very important fact that once we had "won the item" we could have very easily just not paid for it.
    That would no doubt have resulted in you leaving us negative feedback...and, under those circumstances, you would have been perfectly justified in doing that ! But it would not have cost us a single penny !!
    We "did the right thing" and paid for the machine in full...we then contacted you immediately to appologise for our error & told you that we did not want the cultivator ! We suggested that you re-list the item & upon the sale of it you refunded £100.00 of the £155.00 that we had paid you.
    You are now being greedy by trying to get away with refunding us what the Cultivator made after you re-listed it ! Did you contact any of the other bidders that were bidding in the first Auction & give them a "second chance offer" ???
    Why did it only make £58.00 in the second Auction ??
    Now it is my turn to give you a lecture.....
    It goes without saying that when it comes to e-bay there are some very unscrupulous & dishonest people that buy & sell goods !
    One of the reasons we chose to bid on your cultivator was the fact that you had 100% feedback.
    As you can see from our feedback we also have 100% !
    This means that neither one of us should fall in to the "dishonest" category or, hopefully, the unscrupulous Category!
    We will not accept a refund of £58.00 !
    If we do not receive a refund of £100.00 in the next week or so...then I'm afraid we will then know that there are obviously people in the unscrupulous category that have 100% feedback...and it certainly is not us !!!!!!!

I have not received a reply to that last e-mail...but when I came in tonight I see we have an e-mail from paypal stating that we have received a partial refund of the £155.00. The refund is £58.00.

Was I a bit of a plonker not to check out the size first....YES.
    But Did I back out of the deal & not pay after finding out it was not what we wanted...CERTAINLY NOT.

This guy is nothing far short of a con artist & I think I would have every right leaving him Negative feedback !
    It really does piss me off when good, honest decent people like us get ripped off by arse holes like him!

Re: Cultivator bought on e-bay ???

Why did he not just make a 'second chance offer' to the underbidder?

Or was he the underbidder?

Dave Applesquasher

In my opinion he did nothing wrong really. He could just as easily have said you bought it, you come and get it.
    He could also just as easily sold it for 99p and sent you that.

I doubt that is what you wanted to hear Phil, but it is my opinion.
    Ebay has some really good bargains in there but it does leave a bitter taste when things go wrong. I have had my fair share of idiots and messers to deal with. I have also kicked myself up and down the road for making a balls of things on there too.
    (anyone want to buy a lightened and not counterbalanced Essex V6 flywheel. Would make an interesting clock face. Just want my money back really, £150)

Quote Originally Posted by Thick Farmer View Post
    Why did he not just make a 'second chance offer' to the underbidder?

Or was he the underbidder?
    Precisely.

I did actually "mention" this in one of my messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    In my opinion he did nothing wrong really. He could just as easily have said you bought it, you come and get it.
    He could also just as easily sold it for 99p and sent you that.

I doubt that is what you wanted to hear Phil, but it is my opinion.
    Ebay has some really good bargains in there but it does leave a bitter taste when things go wrong. I have had my fair share of idiots and messers to deal with. I have also kicked myself up and down the road for making a balls of things on there too.
    (anyone want to buy a lightened and not counterbalanced Essex V6 flywheel. Would make an interesting clock face. Just want my money back really, £150)

He may not have done anything wrong as far as the buying & selling rules go on e-bay ?
    But morally ???

If someone had genuinely made a mistake when they bought something from me....I would give them their money back !
    Maybe I was brought up differently ?

As for the bitter taste...too damn right. I could have simply walked away from the deal & not paid.

Dave Applesquasher

I was probably brought up the same as you Phil, and I expect the other guy was too.
    I would have given you your money back and then called you something a bit nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    I was probably brought up the same as you Phil, and I expect the other guy was too.
    I would have given you your money back and then called you something a bit nasty.

Why ??

to be fair to the guy, if the boot was on the other foot and he'd bought Phil's cultivator then jibbed on the deal because he hadn't read the description properly, i think we can all guess which way the thread would be going now.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    to be fair to the guy, if the boot was on the other foot and he'd bought Phil's cultivator then jibbed on the deal because he hadn't read the description properly, i think we can all guess which way the thread would be going now.
    What, like you have not read this thread properly ?
    There was nothing about the size of the thing in the description !
    As I said....if the boot was on the other foot, I would have given him a full refund !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Why ??

Because it's an auction, not Marks and Spencers. go to a farm sale, run something up then tell the auctioneer you've changed your mind and don't want it any more, see how he takes it.

If you could have sold something for £150 but someone who hadn't read the description bids it up to £155 then tells you it's not what he wants after all, and you relist it the week after when the other buyers have now got fixed up elsewhere and only realise £50, would you not be a bit miffed?

Stuff on ebay never makes as much on the second time of listing because people who are watching the auctions think it's been relisted because the seller is running it up.

What, like you have not read this thread properly ?
    There was nothing about the size of the thing in the description !
    As I said....if the boot was on the other foot, I would have given him a full refund !
    And you wouldn't even be slightly annoyed about this, not even when it makes a third of the price when you relist it?

Because it's an auction, not Marks and Spencers. go to a farm sale, run something up then tell the auctioneer you've changed your mind and don't want it any more, see how he takes it.

If you could have sold something for £150 but someone who hadn't read the description bids it up to £155 then tells you it's not what he wants after all, and you relist it the week after when the other buyers have now got fixed up elsewhere and only realise £50, would you not be a bit miffed?

Stuff on ebay never makes as much on the second time of listing because people who are watching the auctions think it's been relisted because the seller is running it up.
    Why don't you read the posts properly...If it was at a farm sale I would have seen how wide it was and not bid on it !!!!!!!!!!!

And, for the second time, I read the description - "not been used for a while, needs new tines". It gives no dimensions!

We rarely sell anything on e-bay...but when we have we give a full & accurate description of what we are selling !

And you wouldn't even be slightly annoyed about this, not even when it makes a third of the price when you relist it?
    No, I wouldn't.....because I would damn well take a bit more time doing the listing & include a full description of the item.

O.K, O.K - So we are back to it being my fault now for even considering something when it had no detailed description at all !

I just hope that "going public" with my experience prompts people to put more detail in their listings....and also encourages buyers to ask questions if the description is a bit vague !

Why don't you read the posts properly...If it was at a farm sale I would have seen how wide it was and not bid on it !!!!!!!!!!!

And, for the second time, I read the description - "not been used for a while, needs new tines". It gives no dimensions!

We rarely sell anything on e-bay...but when we have we give a full & accurate description of what we are selling !
    perhaps you should have asked then? seeing as this is apparently so critical.

Anyway, like Dave, if i had been the seller i'd have given you a refund, though also like Dave, when i'd had my time wasted and subsequently re sold the item for considerably less, i would have been a bit annoyed. I do accept however that you would have given the refund and not been even slightly miffed at all, clearly Dave and I are nowhere near as calm and reasonable as you are, you're an example to us all Phil.

I'm with Dave & MatbroJoe on this one. Phil you seem to think the vendor was lucky that you didn't turn it up & not pay for it, but if you had then you would be in the wrong. You bid on an item, apparently accurately described, and won it. It was down to you to satisfy yourself that it suited your requirements (for size) and you failed to do so. The vendor could quite rightly have insisted that you paid for the item and collected it, as per your contract. The only reason I'd have given a full refund on it, begrudgingly, would be to save the hassle and arguments. I would also have been moaning about timewasters on ebay, which is why I dislike selling stuff on there.

I would suggest you have to take it on the chin and accept his kind gesture of the cheque. Next time, you will remember to ask the questions you should have in this instance.

Phil,

I can see both sides of the argument. However, by you asking for £100 refund, you are essentially asking the vendor to subsidise your mistake to the tune of £42 from his own pocket.

Yes, you could have jibbed and not paid, but you would have been the one who would have received the negative feedback.

If it was me in your position, i would take the £97 loss on the chin, keep your 100% feedback and chalk it down to experience. If the most expensive mistake i ever made only cost me £97, i'd be a happy chappy!

And for those classically educated; Caveat Emptor. Or, put another way for the secondary modern / comprehensive man; Let the buyer beware...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    I'm with Dave & MatbroJoe on this one. Phil you seem to think the vendor was lucky that you didn't turn it up & not pay for it, but if you had then you would be in the wrong. You bid on an item, apparently accurately described, and won it. It was down to you to satisfy yourself that it suited your requirements (for size) and you failed to do so. The vendor could quite rightly have insisted that you paid for the item and collected it, as per your contract. The only reason I'd have given a full refund on it, begrudgingly, would be to save the hassle and arguments. I would also have been moaning about timewasters on ebay, which is why I dislike selling stuff on there.

I would suggest you have to take it on the chin and accept his kind gesture of the cheque. Next time, you will remember to ask the questions you should have in this instance.
    Absolutely. If there is something missing from the item description which is important to you then it is up to you to ask the question.
    I think the seller has been more than fair by offering you the difference between your contract price and what he received second time around. I also don't think it fair for you to send him shitty messages and call him a con artist!

Quote Originally Posted by YardofTruth View Post
    Absolutely. If there is something missing from the item description which is important to you then it is up to you to ask the question.
    I think the seller has been more than fair by offering you the difference between your contract price and what he received second time around. I also don't think it fair for you to send him shitty messages and call him a con artist!
    Its down to you to satisfy its fit for purpose. I often by hook lift bins on ebay. If it says hook lift bin colour green i then email or ring and ask dimensions width of chassis rails capacity etc before i bid. Just because he put a wooly description down does not make it wrong or even right, just bloody vague, annoying i know.

I sell a lot on e bay and find farmers are normally the best customers on there , e bay is becoming a nightmare with timewasters you put the stuff on someone buys it and changes there mind etc , this seller has listed and sold it to you , your choice to bid and pay , you are lucky he agreed to any refund as I wouldnt have ,

big boys games big boys rules. i.m afraid i have to agree completely with the seller.sorry

This is probably a silly thought Phil but; why couldn't you have collected the cultivator, take an angle grinder, and cut some off?

As enough people have said already I think the seller is right on this one.

Sorry but I am with the seller. If it is agricultural equipment sold on eBay I automatically assume like many others that the equipment will fit standard tractors with cat 2 3 point lift. if you want equipment for a compact tractor then you need to be looking for equipment with cat 1 3 point lift. Most sellers with cat 1 equipment to sell refer to it being either ferguson or able to fit a ferguson tractor which was the very first cat 1 tractor on the market. As always with eBay if your not sure than ask a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilman View Post
    Phil,

I can see both sides of the argument. However, by you asking for £100 refund, you are essentially asking the vendor to subsidise your mistake to the tune of £42 from his own pocket.

Yes, you could have jibbed and not paid, but you would have been the one who would have received the negative feedback.

If it was me in your position, i would take the £97 loss on the chin, keep your 100% feedback and chalk it down to experience. If the most expensive mistake i ever made only cost me £97, i'd be a happy chappy!

And for those classically educated; Caveat Emptor. Or, put another way for the secondary modern / comprehensive man; Let the buyer beware...

+1
    I sold a hilux - extensively described with photos- on ebay before Christmas for £2200 and the twot never came up with the money. He'd put on a last second bid and topped the under bidder by £55. By the time I realised he was p!ssing me about, the under bidder had bought himself another truck and didn't need mine. I relisted and sold for £1750 - a drop of £450 or a drop of £395 from the underbidder. I could have hung the b*st*rd by his knackers from our Christmas tree.
    Not wishing to class you with him, Phil. I'm sure you are an extremely decent chap, but if what you are after is not on the description, ask the buyer before bidding.
    Myself, I'd have picked up the machine, sold it on and taken the loss on the chin. Might even have made a profit if marketed in the right place.

"If I could sell my experience for what it has cost me, I'd be a millionaire."
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Sorry phil. Am with the seller on this one as well

Quote Originally Posted by chaz View Post
    Sorry phil. Am with the seller on this one as well
    Are you the seller in disguise
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I am afraid I rather go with the seller.
    he will have lost a further £30 in eBay and PayPal fees
    at the end of the day he would have been just as well sending it scrap
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Whilst I agree with the other posters - the fact remains that if you open an eBay/PayPal dispute, you are very likely to get the full amount refunded, their protection is put in place to benefit the buyers on the site. Not saying it's right but that's the way it is.

If you paid with paypal....... Run a dispute and recall your money (100%).... Then give the guy back his 58 euro (+ the 55 you offered to begin with). Both of you were wrong but he stole money from you by accepting a payment for something he didn't provide, regardless of email traffic. Don't use the moral copout, everyone has morals, just too many use/preach them to fit the situation that serves them best at the time. You's a dummy and he's a thief... get over the bickering and get on paypal before too much time passes and get your money back. Give him back his 58 (113) bucks, and all will live happily ever after.....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Dave Applesquasher

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    If you paid with paypal....... Run a dispute and recall your money (100%).... Then give the guy back his 58 euro. Both of you were wrong but he stole money from you by accepting a payment for something he didn't provide, regardless of email traffic. Don't use the moral copout, everyone has different morals, just too many use/preach them to fit the situation that serves them best at the time. You's a dummy and he's a thief... get over the bickering and get on paypal before too much time passes and get your money back. Give him back his 58 bucks, and all will live happily ever after.....
    This is the worst part of ebay.

Hi Phil,

You are at fault. You placed a winning bid and you have bought the machine. You should then collect and pay the money. It is your mistake that your tractor is not big enough and nothing to do with the seller - you need to know what your buying - why should somebody else run round after you for free???? You see a machine on ebay, you go and look at it, check it, go home and bid. If you cant be bothered - you simply can NOT place a bid, then decide you don't fancy it and decide to just not pay as you suggested above. Its not the sellers fault he did not write the width down - ASK.

now, if the seller had written 5ft wide and in actual fact the cultivator was 8ft then fair enough

Go round, apologise, pay the money and collect the cultivator and stop ruining ebay please.