Thread: Failing to make an offering to Hephaestus the Greek god of mechanical engineering.

Failing to make an offering to Hephaestus the Greek god of mechanical engineering.

It has happened again. Make a start to silage without making an offering or sacrifice to Hephaestus the Greek god of mechanical engineering and he will show his displeasure.

We hadn't even the filled the first trailer before an ominous rumble from inside the JF 900 indicated some sort off failure. On returning to the workshop it soon turned into a scene from CSI, but instead of blood & DNA the missing pieces from our enquires were steel.

While I went off for replacement blades some of the team started searching for the cause of the blow up in the now tipped load of grass and the others checked over the full extent of the damage and making ready for new parts to arrive.

When I returned I was shown the mower blade (First picture) believed to have started the chain of events within the drum that resulted in 11 of the 18 blades in the drum to be obliterated.(Second Picture, what we found was left of the blades)

Picture 3 we were soon under way again.

Rest assured next year we will be making gestures to the gods well in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fat North; 27-06-13 at 09:31 PM.

Re: Failing to make an offering to Hephaestus the Greek god of mechanical engineering

Had much the same issues with a JF 1150 last couple of days. Owner had put a new set of blades in and after failing to find the cause in the trailer (chopper has a metal detector that's the most reliable bit anyway) we concluded he'd failed to tighten one properly. Then the actuator for turning the chute packed up and we had to do the last field at midnight moving the trailers about to fill the corners.
    Oh and I was using my Marshall trailer too and today one of the door ram pipes burst mid tipping, showering the place in hydraulic oil. I think I'd cracked the fitting by accidentally reversing into a gate.

Re: Failing to make an offering to Hephaestus the Greek god of mechanical engineering

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    Had much the same issues with a JF 1150 last couple of days. Owner had put a new set of blades in and after failing to find the cause in the trailer (chopper has a metal detector that's the most reliable bit anyway) we concluded he'd failed to tighten one properly. Then the actuator for turning the chute packed up and we had to do the last field at midnight moving the trailers about to fill the corners.
    Oh and I was using my Marshall trailer too and today one of the door ram pipes burst mid tipping, showering the place in hydraulic oil. I think I'd cracked the fitting by accidentally reversing into a gate.
    I feel your pain, it is so much easier letting the chopper man fill the trailer see the loads our man can put on. We had problems in the past when the seals go in the little door rams as the door won't close. We too had oil problems, a brake pipe and an end blowing off on the buck rake, but all the grass is in the pit and the cover on now.
    Attached Images Attached Images