Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glastonbury festival site

Glastonbury festival site

Here it is on google maps, looks like a few weeks after the event.
    I wonder if they direct drill grass afterwards on most fields?
    Considering the potential income from such a large event it is impressive really that Michael Eavis keeps it very much a commercial dairy farm for the rest of the year.

Re: Glastonbury festival site

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Here it is on google maps, looks like a few weeks after the event.
    I wonder if they direct drill grass afterwards on most fields?
    Considering the potential income from such a large event it is impressive really that Michael Eavis keeps it very much a commercial dairy farm for the rest of the year.

I think that what they do to the land is an abomination, it must get compacted.

I know that they go over the land afterwards with some sort of metal detecting machine, but I should think that metal detectorists will be finding things for hundreds of years.

I wonder if Michael Eavis's cows suffer from more than the average of metal ingestion problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post

I know that they go over the land afterwards with some sort of metal detecting machine, but I should think that metal detectorists will be finding things for hundreds of years.

I wonder if Michael Eavis's cows suffer from more than the average of metal ingestion problems.
    big magnets

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post

Probably less, because the magnets will pick up the odd bits of fence wire and such?

I'd like to see his Soil Protection Review.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

He should get one decent cut of silage off those fields every year (which is all I really got last year) and it should help keep badgers away, no TB fail in all these years, he's not daft

How's the new age travellers this year, with their crap buses, vans, lorries, that you and me would have been booked for years ago?
    You would'nt use half of them to haul bales on the farm?
    But they get away with it every year?

Read somewhere recently that he had lost two cows to wire blamed on Chinese lanterns which are banned on the festival site. Doesn't prevent the damned things drifting over for the rest of the year.
    with 175000 on site at 200 a head plus fees from concessions and the BBC he probably doesn't have to give a monkeys about SFP and all the nonsense that goes with it!

Direct drill (moore) or seed box, and yes, every time they go over the land at all it is with a very potent electromagnet.

They use an umbilical to spread slurry over the ground most years and have a slitter on the tractor at the same time.

In a wet year they will basically have to re-seed 1000 acres.

That land there is hideous stuff, during the winter I was trying to walk it for slugs, you couldn't take a quadbike across some of it without it being stuck.

The place is home to a serious dairy and poultry operation as well.

It's a 900 acre site, presumably he's renting land in from neighbours to get that area as as far as i recall it never used to be as big as that. I seem to recall that one fo the reasons he didn't go organic was because they fed a lot of apple pomace from cider production during the summer when all the grass was trod up.

Why isn't it called Shepton Mallet festival? Its closer!

Possibly doesn't have the same ring to it. Been once, I think its an amazing festival. Real British Institution.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyScale View Post
    Why isn't it called Shepton Mallet festival? Its closer!

Possibly doesn't have the same ring to it. Been once, I think its an amazing festival. Real British Institution.
    It is the Pilton pop festival!
    Shepton Mallet is a nice place to come from as you will know if you have ever been there.
    There is a lot of purple worn throughout the year in Glastonbury.

Well he has to spend his money on something!

Quote Originally Posted by topground View Post
    with 175000 on site at 200 a head plus fees from concessions and the BBC he probably doesn't have to give a monkeys about SFP and all the nonsense that goes with it!
    Is it still the case that all the profits are donated to a couple of nominated charities, after 'costs' are deducted of course? It would be interesting to see the accounts, with full details of those costs and salaries.

I may be totally wrong but I thought the money from the festival went to charity but Michael Eavis owns the company that supplies the fencing and roadways I presume he does all right out of it.
    Still mickstup

I can't believe people are moaning about what he does with his land! he obviously isn't going bust, yet has 400 odd cows and a large shed roof PV set up, as well as 2million gallons of slurry storage for the festival alone. he's got a badger set in his farm and seems to be able to keep them healthy.

I think his daughter manages the day to day festival stuff. I also suspect the drainage he's installed on the land benefits the farming side of it too

Best of luck to him and his family.
    Funny he's not into biomass heating with all that litter there on the main field this morning on the news?

Michael eavis owns eve trackway.

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    Michael eavis owns eve trackway.

Sure...?

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...s-eve-trakway/

Money makes money.
    Sought after venue now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    I had been told the same story a few years ago and just assumed it was right , but just googled it and eve trackway was founded 40 odd years ago in chesterfield and no mention of Mr Eavis being involved , just a coincidence of similar names.

Any way good look to him he has tidy business there now however I would not rush to count how much he makes the cost of putting that show on will be HUGE and will devour the majority of the cash tickets bring In.

He has given millions to charities over the years, and no doubt has to put up with the same sort of hassle from "clipboard man" that we all do for the rest of the year. He has given employment and enjoyment to many many people, so more power to his elbow!

Indeed, will be enjoying the Rolling Stones any minute on BBC2

Even if you do have to look at prominent Greenpeace banners.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    ............. a couple of nominated charities,........
    Greenpeace, Oxfam and Wateraid judging by the banners along the front of stages.

Stones are shocking. Keef can hardly stand, session musicians holding it together, BBC coverage starts mid set. Dissapointing. I'm over to chases and status

Stones are shocking. Keef can hardly stand, session musicians holding it together, Charlie looks mental and BBC coverage starts mid set. Dissapointing. I'm over to public enemy

Stones looking old now?

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Stones looking old now?
    + 1 to that time to retire with some dignity I think. They are starting to show up even Maca now who was easily holding 1st position for poor performances after last years royal do !

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boar View Post
    He has given millions to charities over the years, and no doubt has to put up with the same sort of hassle from "clipboard man" that we all do for the rest of the year. He has given employment and enjoyment to many many people, so more power to his elbow!
    Quite agree, when it started I bet no one would ever invisage it becoming such a huge annual event. Long may it continue.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    + 1 to that time to retire with some dignity I think. They are starting to show up even Maca now who was easily holding 1st position for poor performances after last years royal do !
    Try as I might I can't chuck cwt bags up into the spinner like I did 40 years ago.