Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glastonbury festival site

Re: Glastonbury festival site

Quote Originally Posted by WillyScale View Post
    Stones are shocking. Keef can hardly stand, session musicians holding it together, Charlie looks mental and BBC coverage starts mid set. Dissapointing. I'm over to public enemy
    wouldn't like to say they are 100% live and I don't mean them

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Stones looking old now?
    probably because thay are bbc only showing half their set bacause of a fall out between them and the stones years ago, just goes to show haw many acts use auto tune and all the electronic gadgets on their records now when you hear them "live"

Brucie will get them going today? Good Game ??

just goes to show haw many acts use auto tune and all the electronic gadgets on their records now when you hear them "live"
    You don't get any this with main headliners that are on Pyramid stage at 9.30 tonight. When they play live, they play live and mean it! They quite often sound better live then they do on their CDs. The passion that Marcus Mumford puts in to it is unreal.

Check this out from Red Rocks, Colorado last year. There's a bit at 2:51 mins that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

They also played in a sports hall up here at Carlisle in Nov to just 1700. I was lucky enough to be on the front row.

Fair play to Mr Eavis for standing up regarding badgers and TB, considering his festival world could collapse around his ears if he upset the right people. Good to see he is a farmer as well as a psychedelic hippy dude.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyScale View Post
    Stones are shocking. Keef can hardly stand, session musicians holding it together, Charlie looks mental and BBC coverage starts mid set. Dissapointing. I'm over to public enemy
    They always have been !
    Shouting & screaming.... dressed up as music !

Jagger & his mates were put to shame by Bruce Forsyth !

Quote Originally Posted by brynseiri View Post
    Fair play to Mr Eavis for standing up regarding badgers and TB, considering his festival world could collapse around his ears if he upset the right people. Good to see he is a farmer as well as a psychedelic hippy dude.
    Don't you mean the wrong people ?

Mr E rather go to Church and sing Hymns ?

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    big magnets
    I doubt that magnets would be all that effective when an enormous amount of rubbish is trodden into the mud in a really wet festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Don't you mean the wrong people ?
    Maybe No, the right people on the other side of the fence he seems to be perched on, such as brian may for instance.

Completely dull random fact:

Michael Eavis's brother (Patrick) was my Headmaster.

I couldn't stand the liberal, sandal wearing, tofu knitting, twa...person.

I'm sure his brother is a top bloke however...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    I doubt that magnets would be all that effective when an enormous amount of rubbish is trodden into the mud in a really wet festival.
    Aren't hypodermics made from stainless anyway.......
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    Aren't hypodermics made from stainless anyway.......
    thats why theres 2000 hippies combing the fields with their fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomr View Post
    Try as I might I can't chuck cwt bags up into the spinner like I did 40 years ago.
    We use half ton bags now Granda!

a festival near me if you can cal a dance festival music. but when they finish go over with a glorified rake with magnets picking up all the junk left behind. and volunteers who get in for free in return for litter picking. i think you will find that Glastonbury is run by professional promoters on behalf of the nevis family.

I couldn't believe the number of tents abandoned on site after it all finished, dam cheek IMO to leave that sort of stuff for others to clear away, it must make an unpleasant job hard work. The chap on local news said they have a huge team ready to go in and clean up, sorting waste into recycleables as they go. It'd be interesting to hear how much they make out of it if sell this stuff.

When the festival first started I was told they used a contractor who went in with several old foragers and picked up all the rubbish after the festival finished. True or not I don't know but I was told by a man who's word I trust. Considering the different behaviour of those attending it was probably a good way of clearing the fields back in those days.

It's not something I'd be interested in going to but a workmate went last year & my neighbours went this year for the first time. Both came home well pleased with the experience. Fair play to them, the economy of the area must benefit from it no end.

BB

The old tents go in storage, to be used for disaster areas IIRC

I am sure I saw in the news today someone with a metal detector found Roman coins.

Has anyone here ever held a festival on their land, or have any of you considered it?

Biggest kacker gathering in Europe. Steam fair gets a similarly bad name in some circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairyloon View Post
    Has anyone here ever held a festival on their land, or have any of you considered it?

A friend of mine organised a Festival for a few years. Cloud 9 Festival. A huge amount of red tape to cut through. Fire access etc.

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    A huge amount of red tape to cut through. Fire access etc.
    Well yes, you would expect that.

Re. the tents left behind at Glastonbury. For a good few years leading up to the very wet year 2007 Oxfam sent volunteers from London to pack up the abandoned tents. The tents were cleaned and packed up, and sent off to be used by refugees caught up in disasters in 3rd world countries. The system worked well until 2007 when Glastonbury festival almost turned into disaster of 3rd world proportions itself, the rain was torrential and relentless and the site was thoroughly flooded out and awash with deep mud. The Oxfam volunteers (from London, remember, in their designer wellies) took one look at the site on Monday morning and scuttled back to London en masse. And although there are hundreds of Oxfam volunteers at every festival since, doing stewarding jobs, none of them have ever come back to pack tents.

As far as I know every year since 2007 all the abandoned tents have gone into landfill, but fast forward to this year......for the first time a separate trailer followed the litter pickers, all the good tents (and there were HUNDREDS) were carefully dismantled and taken off site to be sent off to various charities for re-use. About bloody time. After the festival 2 years ago revolting little G4S Security thugs were jumping on and setting fire to perfectly good abandoned tents to stop site crew people from rescuing them to recycle for themselves and other people, what a tragic waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    After the festival 2 years ago revolting little G4S Security thugs were jumping on and setting fire to perfectly good abandoned tents to stop site crew people from rescuing them to recycle for themselves and other people, what a tragic waste.
    The tents, or G4S wasting good oxygen? :?

I am giving some thought to holding some kind of event.
    Having worked at a few that did not seem well organised, yet still came together for a good result, it seems to me that it is not that difficult.

First problem is where, so if anyone might be amenable to leasing out a location, then please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairyloon View Post
    The tents, or G4S wasting good oxygen? :?

I am giving some thought to holding some kind of event.
    Having worked at a few that did not seem well organised, yet still came together for a good result, it seems to me that it is not that difficult.

First problem is where, so if anyone might be amenable to leasing out a location, then please let me know.