Thread: ladder trap for crows

ladder trap for crows

going to make 1 next week
    any good tips/ideas/dimensions

ta

Re: ladder trap for crows

As big as you want ideally min 10x8 and ladder spacing s of 6x6for rooks and crows and 4x4 for jackdaws, what I do is catch bulk of large birds and then lay a strip of 2x2 weld mesh on ladder and cut out 4x4 holes in mesh and cable tie on top, use to pre bait site and then build cage gradual over a period of days leaving the ladder till last, but now use call birds and location for best results, can be frustrating and normally find with rooks that it can sit for weeks and do very little and then catch like mad for a week, jackdaws catch easy, always leave about 10 birds in cage and cull out when it gets crowded, I took over 1k of jacks near an outdoor pig unit in under a year with one cage, vital to rig up a drinker system that they can't shite in as they are dirty gits.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarehill View Post
    As big as you want ideally min 10x8 and ladder spacing s of 6x6for rooks and crows and 4x4 for jackdaws, what I do is catch bulk of large birds and then lay a strip of 2x2 weld mesh on ladder and cut out 4x4 holes in mesh and cable tie on top, use to pre bait site and then build cage gradual over a period of days leaving the ladder till last, but now use call birds and location for best results, can be frustrating and normally find with rooks that it can sit for weeks and do very little and then catch like mad for a week, jackdaws catch easy, always leave about 10 birds in cage and cull out when it gets crowded, I took over 1k of jacks near an outdoor pig unit in under a year with one cage, vital to rig up a drinker system that they can't shite in as they are dirty gits.
    Thinking of doing the same. How do you go about 'culling out' the occupants?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Thinking of doing the same. How do you go about 'culling out' the occupants?
    Always leave one behind to call more, some sell them as call birds for other traps. Don't get any of their blood on or in the trap

Quote Originally Posted by rc mx110 View Post
    Always leave one behind to call more, some sell them as call birds for other traps. Don't get any of their blood on or in the trap
    i've heard that too

Dark is best and a priest, give them a tap, suggest wearing gloves and dust mask or even a chain saw helmet, be prepared for the flat flys mugging you, and I would def leave 10 in as they will give others more confidence and catching will resume quicker. Use to empty every time I could take out 50, get going ASAP as the younger ones are more naive and will catch easy now, make sure you put in perches above ladder hieght,

Can you advise on my trap? I have a timber frame cage covered in rabbit netting - 1 metre cube. I have cut a hole in the middle of top, bait with eggs etc. Bait gone, no birds! Hole is maybe 12"x 6". No idea how they are getting out, can they climb netting upside down?

Should I ctu the top off and put ladder bars instead?

If its a flat top then half the size of the hole to 6x6 and make sure no perches near to exit point, 12x6 would let them climb out with wings, if they have been going in and out regular you will soon catch them, jack daws and magpies need a smaller 4x4 hole, they can be buggers for climbing out!

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Can you advise on my trap? I have a timber frame cage covered in rabbit netting - 1 metre cube. I have cut a hole in the middle of top, bait with eggs etc. Bait gone, no birds! Hole is maybe 12"x 6". No idea how they are getting out, can they climb netting upside down?

Should I ctu the top off and put ladder bars instead?
    They fly up through the ladder on ours, as they fly up they fold their wings to get through the ladder and open them and away.

Quote Originally Posted by Maervale View Post
    They fly up through the ladder on ours, as they fly up they fold their wings to get through the ladder and open them and away.
    smaller ladder

So only 3 years late
    Finally made a ladder trap
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was told many years ago by an old hand at it that you were supposed to let your call bird go at the end, bad luck or something if you didn't?