Thread: Triticale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Triticale

There doesn't seem to be much of this grown.

It always looks good in trials plots - really vigorous.

Apparently very competitive with grass weeds, can use Atlantis etc with it, not prone to disease and doesn't need as much fertiliser as wheat.

Why don't more people grow it ??

Re: Triticale

Quote Originally Posted by Massey View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much of this grown.

It always looks good in trials plots - really vigorous.

Apparently very competitive with grass weeds, can use Atlantis etc with it, not prone to disease and doesn't need as much fertiliser as wheat.

Why don't more people grow it ??
    Try selling it.

Try cutting it when its gone flat!! But main problem is selling it, I've grown couple of times organically but it never seems too feed very well to cows and not much yield last time, 30tons off 60acres after red clover and had spring oats do 2ton/acre 3rd year cereal so that made easy decision never again!

You won't be able to sell triticale very easily, no one wants or really knows what it is. It can grow very leggy and it is far from totally disease resistant. The agronomy is ok though.

Tough old stuff, same as rye.

If you milled it & propcorned it & fed it to store cattle, would it do the same job as barley?

We used to grow 30 acres on our sand and crushed it through the roller in a mix for the cows. It yielded well and we never had much trouble with lodging, but the straw was very tough and non-absorbant which made it a pain in the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    You won't be able to sell triticale very easily, no one wants or really knows what it is. It can grow very leggy and it is far from totally disease resistant. The agronomy is ok though.

Tough old stuff, same as rye.
    Sold it easily, grain trader came and sampled it, thought it was wheat, so sold as feed wheat. Leggy? Yes, grew 4' high, except for a patch rabbits hammered in the Winter, which on grew to 3', all stood well. Yield 2.75 t/Acre, had about same N as barley. Rabbits left it alone after Winter. It was DD'd, as was the following crop, which was OSR, which did not grow through the Winter, I put that down to the aleopathic effect inherited from its rye parent. I should have followed it with beans. If I grew it again I'd graze the regrowth during the Winter with sheep and DD Spring beans.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go

Talking to a chap at Cereals who was promoting Triticale, he is of the opinion that the reason it is not easy to sell is because not enough of it is being grown to interest the millers. Apparently, they have to change something in the set up to mill Triticale. As there is not much grown, not much is therefore offered, and so it goes round and round. Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    Try cutting it when its gone flat!! But main problem is selling it, I've grown couple of times organically but it never seems too feed very well to cows and not much yield last time, 30tons off 60acres after red clover and had spring oats do 2ton/acre 3rd year cereal so that made easy decision never again!

Did you ever arable silage it?

pellow

Strange you should ask that

I got of a forage harvester last week after chopping rye and triticale for a bio gas plant

averaged out at
    rye - 46 tons per ha
    triticale - 58 tons per ha

to make more cash than combining and selling the grain it had to average 40 tons per ha (fresh weight)
    One very happy farmer !!!!!

Triticale is quiet common in our area as it seems to do well in light soils and little rain fall biggest market is animal feed and there is plenty of straw baled behind the combines

Max
    Weiter, weiter ins Verderben,Wir müssen leben bis wir sterben

Quote Originally Posted by pellow View Post
    Did you ever arable silage it?
    No, simply because of the grain/straw ratio being poor and leading to a low energy silage. And I struggle with getting enough energy so I don't need that diluting it!

What stage did you cut it Max? I've been told the best time to cut triticale for silage is just as the flag leaf has unrolled