Thread: Cow Pow feeder

Cow Pow feeder

You may remember my posts on the old BFF regarding our farm's on going situation with our cow pow feeder.

In a nut shell, the story so far is:

We purchased 6 cow pow feed barriers from the NEC dairy event in 2010. We are very pleased with the actual build quality of the feeders. They were delivered on time and the sales staff were very helpfull and proffessional.

However, after 3 months use we had problems with 10% of our tall cows rubbing the top of their necks to raw blood - our conclusion was either: the cow pow steel work is made too low or our cows are too tall. Our tall cows are about 5ft at the neck top - they are large, but not really unusal in the UK.

We have had to stop using the cow pow feed barriers - it is empty and we are currently at this momment, feeding silage out side the building in a stop gap situation - untill we can get the cows out to grass and do something about the problem.

O Donovan engineering visited our farm last week - they are aware of the pictures and information I had previously posted on BFF. They have decided to look at our situation and it is agreed that I update the Bristish farming forum as to how things proceed.

I will update this post regarding what happens as things go on................................................ .................................

Re: Cow Pow feeder

At least they are doing something about it... But that's not soon enough for your cows..was it an expensive purchase ? Iv never heared of it, but I don't go to shows to see all the new things on offer, we just use round feeders

Whats the latest? have they stuck to their promise?

Hello,

I did update the other thread, but here are a few pictures for you.

We are very please with the situation and O Donovan Engineering did an excellent job in correcting the situation - all done free of charge.

Old barriers taken out and 6 brand new galvanised barriers fabricated to suit our cows measurements - higher and different bar design
    Longer forward travel to allow cows to clear silage from 5m passage way.
    New, longer side mats
    Delivered and installed by O Donovan engineering using their companies lorry and crane.

The job was competed free of charge, on time and the O Donovan engineering staff worked hard, late into the night to get them installed / bolted in.

We have just started calving and currently have 60 cows using the cow pow feeder - It works very, very well and absolutely no complaints in any way.

We look forward to dealing with O Donovan engineering in the future. We are now very pleased with the cow pow feeders and things have come right in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good, glad you got them sorted. How often do you put feed out and what weight of blocks do you put in? How many feed spaces do you need in proportion to cows eating?

Quote Originally Posted by bigw View Post
    Looking good, glad you got them sorted. How often do you put feed out and what weight of blocks do you put in? How many feed spaces do you need in proportion to cows eating?
    15 meters of feed space each side for 100 cows. (2 cows per feed space aprox)

Block cutter makes 2 ton + blocks, 6ft high and this will last them about 6 days.

Currently using silage bales - put in a double row, about 20 fusion bales in total

Got to be careful not to have too much feed space or cows cant eat silage fast enough - it might go off if you get my meaning.

Also got to make sure cows have access 24/7.

NewHolland - 12 months after the new feeders were fitted are you still happy with the modifications - any further lessons learnt?

Good to see the power of the BFF in action!
    Glad that O Donovan Engineering sorted it all out for you to avoid bad press.

Quote Originally Posted by peterr View Post
    NewHolland - 12 months after the new feeders were fitted are you still happy with the modifications - any further lessons learnt?

Good Morning,

We have learned a lot and its taken 3 years - amazing how much it is possible to keep adjusting even the most basic of simple systems!, but there again I was never very bright at school.

Yes , our new neck pushing bars work a treat - absolutely no lumps and we have 6" clearance between even the tallest cow and top of barriers. We have 8ft high blocks of silage in there now, (trioliet block + extra one tipped sideways on top.) 115 cows last about 6 days. We tried silage bales, but had problems with very lush clover bales mixed in with other bales of stalky grass from other fields - they ate the clover, very loose muck and left the other bales until they were very hungry which was a balls up.

So, - you need bales from fields which are all the same - or use clamp silage so all different types of grass are ready mixed in silage clamp by the buck rake beforehand.

The new shed has settled in now and it is a pleasure to work with - the auger bucket round outside in the morning, yoke cows for AI, PD and then fill barriers with silage ever 6 days - takes 2 hours and never touch them again till empty.

Triolet block cutter is a challenge - both to use and repair - I actually enjoy tracing its hydraulic faults / breakdowns, but this week am off to Lamma to buy the biggest shear grab I can find to replace the block cutter - the spare parts bill and frustration of breakdowns has made us move the block cutter on - despite it leaving the silage clamp looking amazing. The block cutter hydraulics also struggle with high oil flow from telehandler.

You need to be very alert as to when cow pow is empty - it has taken some months to be able learn and judge - does it need filling this afternoon? or do we leave it till the next morning? - sounds simple, but since it is a 2 hour job to refill you have to think 24hrs ahead to fit refilling silage in between other work - get it wrong and we lose a lot of milk - but then we are getting 8000lt out of a very basic system. On less litres you probably would not have to worry too much and just refill it the next morning and make cows wait with an empty feeder.......as cow numbers change they eat it quicker and catch you out - if you need to refill too early, you have to dig old silage out before new goes in, so wasted loader time.

We would make the concrete foundation different and only have a step of 2" to guide scraper blades - we have 5" which is too high, but that's how it is now, not much we can do and cows manage ok.

We wont be buying a mixer wagon - cow pow for the next 20 years, no worries!
    Last edited by Newholland; 20-01-14 at 07:58 PM.