Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: glastir

Re: glastir

Just wondering if anybody has been offered the Advanced scheme lately for 2014 as I have not heard a dicky bird from them despite being on a reserve list since last autumn.
    If anybody has could you tell me how many points did you score( PM if you like) that enabled you to be offered entry; most farmers I ask don't know, they only read the "you have been accepted" bit.
    Thanks.

Interesting stuff. We have been in TG and have been fastracked into advanced Glastir but as yet no visit from project officer so don't know what's involved yet. I worked out that our income from glastir entry is about 40% of what we got from TG and TM so I don't think we can afford not to go into advanced. Besides that with lamb and ewe prices so abysmal I don't think I'm going to object too much to a reduced stocking rate.

Really wish I could win the lottery and tell them to stuff their schemes where the sun don't shine !

join the club, couldn't get into tir gofal but got into glastir, no joy on the higher level though, even though I've been in it for nearly 2 years. tir gofal chaps are going straight in and at the higher level no bother. its who you know, not what you do.
    in one of our commons meetings the welsh office representative told every farmer they had to apply for the forms or they wouldn't get in, all except from one! he was told they had priority because they had a large farm and they would be contacted personally, one rule for some another for others. I was dumb struck with what had been said. I thought it would start from scratch and everyone would be in the same boat, smaller farms screwed over yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    join the club, couldn't get into tir gofal but got into glastir, no joy on the higher level though, even though I've been in it for nearly 2 years. tir gofal chaps are going straight in and at the higher level no bother. its who you know, not what you do.
    in one of our commons meetings the welsh office representative told every farmer they had to apply for the forms or they wouldn't get in, all except from one! he was told they had priority because they had a large farm and they would be contacted personally, one rule for some another for others. I was dumb struck with what had been said. I thought it would start from scratch and everyone would be in the same boat, smaller farms screwed over yet again.
    Have you found out what your score is? The LLandrindod office deal with Advanced(01597823777) give them a call.
    Were you notified that they had put you on a reserve list? Just trying to find out if everyone in their second year of Glastir that were not offered advanced were put on it?

We're in TG but no one ever mentioned this as any sort of advantage to getting Glastir Advanced! Just filled the Glastir entry level forms in and sent them off, heard nothing since.
    Saying that, it seemed to us that the Glastir Advanced was so onerous with not much return (£) that it wasn't worth it. However, with Glastir Entry we could pretty much farm as we wanted anyway, just lay a hedge and put up some bird boxes for a few quid in Glastir money.
    You might want to wait to see the Greening Proposals for SFP before signing up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    We're in TG but no one ever mentioned this as any sort of advantage to getting Glastir Advanced! Just filled the Glastir entry level forms in and sent them off, heard nothing since.
    Saying that, it seemed to us that the Glastir Advanced was so onerous with not much return (£) that it wasn't worth it. However, with Glastir Entry we could pretty much farm as we wanted anyway, just lay a hedge and put up some bird boxes for a few quid in Glastir money.
    You might want to wait to see the Greening Proposals for SFP before signing up anyway.
    That is the absolute key! Even WAG admit that they have put the cart before the horse and "it is likely" that some Glastir contracts will have to be amended (ie you the farmer will have to find alternative points) post CAP because of double funding. As we don't yet fully know what the EFAs are going to be (but likely to hedgerows as one option) I guess that will blow all those options out of the window?

I went to Llandrindod last year and sat down with two people at the computer and tried my best to get into the higher level, I had any gods amount of points because we never got into tir gofal so there was loads to do. we have been thinking of doing something with water power and other things, but even though the people were very helpful, no joy. this year I received a letter saying the same thing after all the same hassle so I thought bollox to it, just accept your face don't fit and be happy with what we got, its not worth the stress.

In my situation Glastir just ain't worth the hassle. I initially thought we could get a lot of points on hedgerows, we have miles of good hedges that I didn't mind cutting on alternate years or whatever. But read the small print. Some typically bureaucratic nonsense about leaving saplings to grow every so many metres.
    Now we already have more trees per mile of hedgerow than any other farm on the planet; which is great; mainly healthy oaks and a few ash. But what we don't need or want is hundreds more. I often leave the odd new tree to grow in a hedge if I think it will enhance the farm and help renew the tree population. I have planted up copses of trees in odd corners at my own expense; we have over a dozen well maintained ponds which score us no points whatsoever.

What I am not going to do is to sign up to some hare brained scheme that allows nothing for common sense or past endeavours, and puts in such ridiculous stipulations for hedgerow management, not to mention a plethora of other draconian restrictions on my farming practice, for what amounts to little more financial reward than a good crop of hay would nett me off ten acres. Rant over!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    In my situation Glastir just ain't worth the hassle. I initially thought we could get a lot of points on hedgerows, we have miles of good hedges that I didn't mind cutting on alternate years or whatever. But read the small print. Some typically bureaucratic nonsense about leaving saplings to grow every so many metres.
    Now we already have more trees per mile of hedgerow than any other farm on the planet; which is great; mainly healthy oaks and a few ash. But what we don't need or want is hundreds more. I often leave the odd new tree to grow in a hedge if I think it will enhance the farm and help renew the tree population. I have planted up copses of trees in odd corners at my own expense; we have over a dozen well maintained ponds which score us no points whatsoever.

What I am not going to do is to sign up to some hare brained scheme that allows nothing for common sense or past endeavours, and puts in such ridiculous stipulations for hedgerow management, not to mention a plethora of other draconian restrictions on my farming practice, for what amounts to little more financial reward than a good crop of hay would nett me off ten acres. Rant over!
    Same here. Had a good little TG scheme going here involving bridlepaths which were popular, wild bird cover, some grassland reversion, new tree plantings, breeding bird cover, pond digging, streamside corridors etc. and because we've got this big issue of not knowing for 12 months or more after we start whether the advanced scheme will fund some of the stuff that that the lower level scheme can't I'm not willing to take a risk, also the principle of it is wrong to put restrictions on habitat management of certain features if you can't get paid when the cost you.

So a load of haymeadow reversion which was starting to show good signs will now go back into production (done an EIA btw), bridleways shut, no wildbird cover etc and no glastir for me. I'm not that sad about it because its a poor scheme and it deserves to fail for being short sighted. I will make the money up in other ways easily enough.

I went to Llandrindod last year and sat down with two people at the computer and tried my best to get into the higher level......
    Got to remember that Higher Level (Glastir Advanced) is based on 5 WAG "key" objectives with priorities given to Carbon and Water Management in the initial years with each bit carrying various degrees of weight (points). Each farm will have multiple layers of the objectives overlying them but some are only worth a point or two whilst others will have 10, 20 or more and the higher the terminal score, the more likely you would be to qualify for GA.

Having said that, WAG offered "fast track" to existing TG holders - mainly in the uplands - to preserve their income as best they could as a lot of the hill boys rely on TG/TM payments to make ends meet.

Personally, as a lowland dairy farmer, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole as there is not enough Wonga in the pot to make it worthwhile buggering about.

Rhyl FC for the cup! (That one's for Dee Gee)

Bald Rick; thank you for your kind words of support; if only others had the same faith as you and I. Distinctly remote though the possibility may be, I think there is still infinitely more chance of Rhyl FC winning the Welsh Cup than there is of seeing a modicum of common sense and simplicity introduced into the Glastir scheme.

Thumbs up Re: glastir

Nice to see the Welsh First Minister supporting farmers in Uganda , and the same day his Agricultural AM slashing support for his own farmers ?

It was just on the itv Welsh news- mad ???

It looks like Glastir is where some of the 15% modulation money is going!

"Minister for Natural Resources and Food, Alun Davies, has published new plans aimed at ensuring the most sustainable management of Wales’ farms and forests."
    The new proposals include:

• A new sustainable production grant to support business modernisation
    • More opportunity for co-operative working in order to deliver environmental goods and services
    • Increased support for moorland and upland farmers
    • Online applications to reduce paperwork and speed up processing
    • More funding for tree planting via the next RDP

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/environ...astir/?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by bracken basher View Post

"Minister for Natural Resources and Food, Alun Davies, has published new plans aimed at ensuring the most sustainable management of Wales’ farms and forests."

• More opportunity for co-operative working in order to deliver environmental goods and services

Bullet point one is interesting. I wonder if it means that Wales will follow the example of NW/SW England and Scotland with 50% grants outside of Glastir?
    Funding for planting trees is ok but those who want to, do so in any case so I very much doubt that a bit more money is going to make a difference
    He could have supported hill farming but allowing so CAP Pillar I money to be diverted to Hill Suckler allowance

I had a chat this morning with two farmers that were in the NFU meeting with Alun Davies Min Ag last night in Bridgend.
    Their opinion of him was, he is ignorant, arrogant, and his knowledge of farming can be compared to that of a tree stump.
    If your questions criticised his decisions and ideas you were treated with contempt.
    The young farmer described him as a career politician, and is obviously anti farmer, and the sooner he is booted out the better.
    He went on to say that without doubt Alun Davies has done more damage to Welsh farming than all the bad weather we have had in the last few years.
    His last comment was, chuck him out, and let's get back to proper farming, and these comments were from a 17 year old young farmer.
    Blunt and to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by bracken basher View Post

As usual it explains nothing in detail .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    As usual it explains nothing in detail .
    you can read the consultation document here-

http://wales.gov.uk/docs/drah/consul...lastirv1en.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    I had a chat this morning with two farmers that were in the NFU meeting with Alun Davies Min Ag last night in Bridgend.
    Their opinion of him was, he is ignorant, arrogant, and his knowledge of farming can be compared to that of a tree stump.
    If your questions criticised his decisions and ideas you were treated with contempt.
    The young farmer described him as a career politician, and is obviously anti farmer, and the sooner he is booted out the better.
    He went on to say that without doubt Alun Davies has done more damage to Welsh farming than all the bad weather we have had in the last few years.
    His last comment was, chuck him out, and let's get back to proper farming, and these comments were from a 17 year old young farmer.
    Blunt and to the point.
    I have been saying the same since the first time I heard him speak...

we have the wolves in the chicken shed at Cardiff, every one of them is looking for the next step on the ladder, look who's the top man there now, what a tosser, some of the things he said when farming minister were potty!
    the only groups doing anything pro active to get more of the money for themselves are the lefty rspb and other quangos, were on the back seat asking for bread to peck at, as usual, not up front putting the case for farming as a whole, not for a few.
    where's the so called farmers union, scratching their behinds, hoping it will be decided before they actually have to throw a few f*cks about the room

we have the wolves in the chicken shed at Cardiff, every one of them is looking for the next step on the ladder, look who's the top man there now, what a tosser, some of the things he said when farming minister were potty!
    the only groups doing anything pro active to get more of the money for themselves are the lefty rspb and other quangos, were on the back seat asking for bread to peck at, as usual, not up front putting the case for farming as a whole, not for a few.
    where's the so called farmers union, scratching their behinds, hoping it will be decided before they actually have to throw a few f*cks about the room

Bit in this weeks Farmers Weekly about it all as well ?