Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best wellies

Re: Best wellies

I cant belive that anyone would wear Noras worst foot wear ever to be invented.

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post

i find them more flexible than most others, I went to them after some chamu's that lasted over a year because I wanted light, there's no spring in them but good socks do that anyway. What do you wear?

Well they do look like they were designed for 'special' people, or maybe the cripplingly incontinent but being non-slip and washable inside and out they also suit dairy farmers.

Well I think I spend enough of my working life wearing wellies to have some idea of what's good for them. I've worn Noras most of the time, never have any foot problems and with some decent insoles find them much more comfortable than Dunlops and with much better grip. The only disadvantages are that they aren't spectacularly warm and don't last as long. They've been going since the 1960's and are still fairly popular.

First Puroforts lasted about 3 years, latest pair have a small leak after 18 months. Still wouldn't want anything else in winter, super warm and grip is excellent.

I use to like Noras in the summer but the buggers dont last me more than 6 months now ,as the cagmag turns them hard ,and then they crack ,usually at the heel or on the front where you flex your foot.
    Dunlop Puraforts I wear now , the thin ones in the summer and the insulated ones in the winter - easier to get on than Noras too

Purofort safety boots.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkymark View Post
    What brand of welly is everyone wearing on their feet and what is the best brand. My last wellies were Land masters but while comfy and light, they soon got to leaking. I've had Muckboots in the past which were warm as toast in Winter, problem was they had no grip on slippy concrete.
    Just want to hear what everyone would recommend for my next pair?
    I have always worn Nora wellies and find them really comfortable. Usually need to buy a new pair about once a year.
    Agree they always seem to eventually split in the same area around the front of the foot on the left in my case.

Usually buy them cheapo Mole Valley / Cornwall Farmers ones which seem OK but split in the heel after a year or so. Had some Dunlops. Terrible heavy things and split across the top in no time. Have just been given a pair of hunters. Very snug and makes me a top person. No idea how they will last.

Sealskin(z) top welly, snug and comfy (for my feet anyway) and last 12-18 months, used to wear muck boots and thought they were brill but recently quality has plummeted so changed, won't be going back to muckboots in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by BobN View Post
    Sealskin(z) top welly, snug and comfy (for my feet anyway) and last 12-18 months, used to wear muck boots and thought they were brill but recently quality has plummeted so changed, won't be going back to muckboots in a hurry
    Did'nt think Sealskinz did wellies, thought they were all socks and gloves?

Is 12 months an acceptable life span for wellies! ? I always get pissed off when they split in this time.

Owning my own farm since, oh, 1997, and farming with my Dad before that I have learned one thing about wellies. There are no good ones, just differently priced levels of shíteness.

Currently shod in Dunlop Puroforts, which are roomier around the foot than I'd like.

Had two or three pairs of muck boots, they're heavy and very, very easily torn, plus they split at seams and at the toe bend.

Holed my Nora wellies with a piece of wire, not so comfortable or grippy, OK for general use but nothing special.

Boots are the only job if it's at all dry, seeing as I live in the West of Ireland, I don't put too much wear on them!

Agree with JG all the wellies ive had have been crap. Land master and Dunlop purofort are comfy and light but don't last me a year before leaking. Had a pair redboot wellies in NZ round 1999 were less crap I think. Got redback ubok boots in Royal Welsh non steel they're the business wellies off inbetween milkings now. anyone notice the autospelling is on form

Oversized Nora Dolomites with Bama Sokkets has been my choice since the 60's, the extra layer helps prevent pressure points from within and so the sole is usually worn out after 12 months on a parlour pit floor before they split - Surely things have moved on since then

+

Gunna try a pair of these Bekina Steplite next time

http://www.totallywellies.co.uk/Prod...%20Knee%20Boot

Tried them all, 6 months seems to be all i could get out of puroforts/steplite/Nora Max. Tried pair of Buckler Wellies and 9 months and still going strong, quite heavy but nice and warm yet kept them on most of the summer and seemed fine! Just not the easiest to keep clean for farm walks etc cause of the waterproof material bit at the top.

also have a pair of aigle iso's for shooting/p2p but keep them out of slurry/dairy chemicals and had them 7 years now, and they have doubled in price in that time!

Saw a pair of wellies today by Hoggs of Fife. Looked nice, not too heavy and they were very comfy to walk in thanks to the soft sole.

Has anyone tried wellies by Hoggs? These were £65.

Try Bucklers Buckbootz really comfy.

Is anyone else having problems with Dunlop Purofort's at the moment, i bought 2 pairs in January, both of which began to leak after a week/10 days so i've now got some cheapies as i'm not paying a premium for a weeks use but i'm allready fed up with the cheapies so need to find something else that's practical to wear in sh!t.

Hope you've just been unlucky with the Puroforts. I have a new pair still in the box.

Are these the new Purofort wellies that are red inside? I looked at them also and I thought they looked a tad light compared to previous designs.

I have also been told that there are a lot of Chinese counterfeit Purofort wellies around that are not great.

My last pair but one of puroforts seemed to perish and crack within a year, the pair before didn't do it, and still got worn when it was not very wet after this next pair were binned - so were much older.
    They would no doubt say not cleaned properly or something.
    I bought another pair in the autumn and they seem OK so far.
    What I like is the soles wear slowly and are grippy on mucky concrete even though the tread does not look aggressive.

My last 2 pairs of Muckboots have been poor, splits well before the sole wore out so I have switched to Wyre Valley, same thing for half the price, give or take an inch at the top

I use Quattro Wellies.... Fantastic, slightly heavier than some but make up for that being far superior, try a pair next to any of the thin rubbish dunlops etc...

In the current climate, the best wellies are the ones with the highest leg

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    I use Quattro Wellies.... Fantastic, slightly heavier than some but make up for that being far superior, try a pair next to any of the thin rubbish dunlops etc...
    Never heard of those wellies before or even recall seeing them in any of my local stores.

Did you get them online and if so, where?

Is the sole on them soft so its not like your walking on hard concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    Never heard of those wellies before or even recall seeing them in any of my local stores.

Did you get them online and if so, where?

Is the sole on them soft so its not like your walking on hard concrete.

Yes springy sole inside - bought from TH-Whites who matched the online price I found.... Latest pair have a more grippy tread pattern.... I'm using them in the Parlour and all around the farm, they stand the parlour chemicals really well too!

Also noticed both our Foot Trimmer (well known ex-herdsman) and two of the vets from our local practise have them!

They seem to be sort of material lined, which makes them super comfortable, and lets them breath so not too hot, more like walking around in a pair of walking boots.... I think you can get both safety and non-safety versions, I did put some dunlops and some Nora's on when I decided to get a new pair, but both are just thin walled rubber/neoprene with a wafer thin bit of plastic on the bottom compared IMO. I always find a good test is to try running in them, run in the quarto's and then try run in the others!

P.s. My first pair lasted 18months of LOTS of use (I did buy 1 new insole during that time). and I've kept them still as a spare, I only finally got some new ones as the tread was starting to get pretty worn

Bekina thermolite, best wellies I have ever had and ive had them all.
    I've had Bekina boots for the last 3 years, no cold feet, last well, & not expensive.

Dunlop .. the ordinary ones

ok I take it back about Nora's i've just split my 3rd pair in under a year.. so they're lasting about 1/3rd the time they used to either they've changed the rubber or i'm working too hard 'cos i'm no heavier!