Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 49 of 49

Thread: York potash project

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Talking Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    On a visit to their main competitor...next door neighbour ( in mining terms). They felt the whole scheme was fairly optimistic to say the very least!
    Apparently a few things govern output from a mine, but the main one is the capacity of the shaft in terms of being able to lift a given amount in a given time.
    Remember you need two shafts one for men and one for product.
    These are extremely deep shafts, depth equals length of lift equals time.
    Something that strikes you after more than five minutes hurtling down over in a pit cage.
    Apparently the whole thing is based on constructing a shaft of a much greater diameter than has been achieved before (no mean feat in mining terms)
    From memory about 60% of what comes up is to dispose of as waste.
    Costs can rapidly exceed income.
    Anyone used much Polyhalite before? It may well be the coming thing.
    Plus most of the money seems to have been raised from enthusiastic investors,so far!
    Any comment from the Israeli mine next door must be taken with a grain of polyhalite. They were quite adept at talking this product down whilst at the same time scavenging a grant from HMG to further their own extraction of same even though they are unable to retrofit a cooling system to allow them to dig down for the goods because ...well basically they have an old , stuffed , played out shitty little mine built with outdated ideas & they are shit scared that they will lose all their staff to the new boy on the block who swooped in while they were asleep & secured the tenements that they thought everyone had forgotten.Any conversation re shaft design would have been had with disgruntled miners who can see the future but know that they can never be part of it.If you think that finance is a problem look at the credentials of the management to see how it is done......60% waste ? FFS take a pill.I do agree though when you say POLYHALITE may be the the coming thing as testing has shown that it may well be .

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    Any comment from the Israeli mine next door must be taken with a grain of polyhalite. They were quite adept at talking this product down whilst at the same time scavenging a grant from HMG to further their own extraction of same even though they are unable to retrofit a cooling system to allow them to dig down for the goods because ...well basically they have an old , stuffed , played out shitty little mine built with outdated ideas & they are shit scared that they will lose all their staff to the new boy on the block who swooped in while they were asleep & secured the tenements that they thought everyone had forgotten.Any conversation re shaft design would have been had with disgruntled miners who can see the future but know that they can never be part of it.If you think that finance is a problem look at the credentials of the management to see how it is done......60% waste ? FFS take a pill.I do agree though when you say POLYHALITE may be the the coming thing as testing has shown that it may well be .
    Hmmm
    Bow to your greater knowledge, Isrealis are also looking at extracting Polyhalite.....Conversation was with a retired mining engineer who had spent his life in Deep mining, He spent some time explaing the physics of sinking wide bore shafts to extreme depths.
    No doubt it can be done. Most things can.
    The other issue is the length of the proposed underground tunnel etc to deliver the product to a deep water port.
    The Enviro tree huggers will not relent at all in the battle against any change.
    Time will tell.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    "Elsewhere, resource companies are seeking to develop transformative projects, which could create thousands of jobs. In the North York Moors National Park, Sirius Minerals plans to invest around £1.5bn to build a world-scale potash mine. If the project goes ahead it will turn nearby Redcar into a major export hub for fertiliser. Such is the scale of the mine, Sirius claims its production alone would reduce the UKís trade deficit by as much as 4pc.

    These are the kind of major industrial schemes that the Northern powerhouse needs if it is to succeed and save many of the regionís great cities from economic oblivion. The real danger is that the concept of a Northern powerhouse will become nothing more than a political sound bite.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11608665/Jim-ONeill-is-the-right-man-to-kickstart-Northern-powerhouse.html

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    "Elsewhere, resource companies are seeking to develop transformative projects, which could create thousands of jobs. In the North York Moors National Park, Sirius Minerals plans to invest around £1.5bn to build a world-scale potash mine. If the project goes ahead it will turn nearby Redcar into a major export hub for fertiliser. Such is the scale of the mine, Sirius claims its production alone would reduce the UKís trade deficit by as much as 4pc.

    These are the kind of major industrial schemes that the Northern powerhouse needs if it is to succeed and save many of the regionís great cities from economic oblivion. The real danger is that the concept of a Northern powerhouse will become nothing more than a political sound bite.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11608665/Jim-ONeill-is-the-right-man-to-kickstart-Northern-powerhouse.html
    For Northern Powerhouse
    google
    Tanganyika ground nut Scandal

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    might one assume that tongue is firmly you know where?

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    might one assume that tongue is firmly you know where?
    Nope just commenting on governments picking winners!
    Anyone capable of making serious money isn't interested in becoming an MP.......which leaves the door open for .....well those that can't.
    Those that are easily taken to the cleaners by smooth talking money extractors.........the bigger the project the sexier it is and the easier it is to sell it to the politicos.
    The World is awash with junk bonds issued by stuck together companies who are going to mine / drill / discover / extract zillions from somewhere that everyone else has overlooked.

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    Any comment from the Israeli mine next door must be taken with a grain of polyhalite. They were quite adept at talking this product down whilst at the same time scavenging a grant from HMG to further their own extraction of same even though they are unable to retrofit a cooling system to allow them to dig down for the goods because ...well basically they have an old , stuffed , played out shitty little mine built with outdated ideas & they are shit scared that they will lose all their staff to the new boy on the block who swooped in while they were asleep & secured the tenements that they thought everyone had forgotten.Any conversation re shaft design would have been had with disgruntled miners who can see the future but know that they can never be part of it.If you think that finance is a problem look at the credentials of the management to see how it is done......60% waste ? FFS take a pill.I do agree though when you say POLYHALITE may be the the coming thing as testing has shown that it may well be .
    APPROVED

  8. #38
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    APPROVED
    Quite surprised to be honest, but there was a great deal of local support.Many of the negative articles about it were clearly written with no local knowledge, and based on mis-information about digging a giant mine 'in the middle of the park'.They often used a picture from near us 30 miles inland all heather and stone walls etc.Reality is it's hidden by established conifers right on the edge and will be practically invisible to 99% of visitors unless they seek it out.Whether the practical difficulties of such an ambitious project can be overcome I'm still not convinced TBH.Every detail will be challenged at every opportunity by the likes of Tom Chadwick, and the lies and misrepresentation from certain elements of the media will know no bounds.

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    Well said, We have the same problem in Oz & it always amazes me how so many are ready to sink the slipper into their own country

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: York potash project

    The thing is that the realm of British commerce historically been decorated by any number of interesting, novel, unique or simply gargantuan-ally ambitious schemes which ended in failure for no other reason than the fact that somehow British schemes often go wrong for any number of political or regulatory reasons.

    If this potash project was being done in China, for example, where anything of great national interest would be pushed through with reckless abandon and to hell with any and all inconvenient red tape or other hurdles, you would have some assurance of success.

    In the UK however, notwithstanding the matter of the finance for such a venture (itself not a sure-fire concern these days) one does worry about environmental hurdles or even workers unions, much less competitiveness in the world fertiliser markets or the discussion of transport and shipping costs or heaven forbid, manufacturing costs.

    Our track record in the UK with regard to primary industries, has not been red hot, you must concede that much.

  11. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    I can't comment on UK enterprise & industry conditions however on the finance front I have seen these blokes in action before & they are very good at it , in fact I would not be surprised if the finance is in tow already.Transport costs are a good point & conveyor systems as used in the coal & Iron ore mines over here are quite cheep to run & manufacturing ? this stuff is ready to use straight from the ground , dig & spread.Environmental concerns puzzle me though as this is a tiny footprint in a tiny corner of a huge national park , below ground level & a heck of a lot nicer than the old existing Boulby mine. Any water removed from the ground go's straight back down from whence it came.
    E

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: York potash project

    But is there money to be made?

    There is a report in Canada's Financial Post today (July4) re Potash Corp. offering a price to take over German based K+S AG. K+S says Potash Corp.'s informal offer price is way too low, but analysts say that a competing bid is unlikely. According to the report, many experts argue that Potash Corp doesn't need the inferior K+S assets, and it has several million tonnes of new production capacity coming on, with lower operating costs than anything K+s has. The market is already oversupplied, says the Financial Post. Potential benefits for the deal for P.C., would be to optimizes the flow of K+S products & give the Saskatchewan based P.C. its first presence in Europe.

    Tread your own path!

    JV

  13. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    At 9 billion it's a bloody expensive way to secure a place in the European market considering that the growing demand is from China , India & Brazil.K +S is outside the two cartels ,being Russia & Canada remembering that BHP tried to buy Potash corp for 40billion a few years ago but was blocked by the Canadian Govt due to it being an asset of national Importance. As you say tread your own path but do it in an informed way.
    K

  14. #44
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: York potash project

    This is the standard of 'debate' at the planning meeting.


  15. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    Wow so many untruths . No market yet the Boulby mine is ramping up its production & has won approval(seemingly uncontested) for a huge shed to store the stuff & all being done with a Govt grant. So many times we see people with little real ability being put in positions that can change our lives. Suppose this is called democracy.

  16. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    Wow so many untruths . No market yet the Boulby mine is ramping up its production & has won approval(seemingly uncontested) for a huge shed to store the stuff & all being done with a Govt grant. So many times we see people with little real ability being put in positions that can change our lives. Suppose this is called democracy.
    Democracy is a great thing until you need progress.

    Increasingly we are becoming a second class country with massive national debt. We have outdated inefficient infrastructure, it takes years to modernise. A perfect example is London Heathrow, anyone with vision would take the bull by the horns and take up Borises estuary airport.
    It has taken my son 8 years to develop a power station, thankfully it is still coming , but why all this time?
    Wind power does not supply all our needs but now they are stopping it, clean power that does supply what is promised. Mostly because of nimbys who want to switch their electric on regardless who it affects.

    BAH HYNMBUG!

    Jack Caley

    PS I also love a scone with clotted cream at Falling Foss right near the projected mine!!

  17. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    52

    Re: York potash project

    This has progressed quite well of late , market cap of around a billion not to be sneezed at. The financing part of the equation due to be announced in coming weeks. With the amount of buying being done by Institutions it would seem they at least are confident of finance being arranged . Fund managers are notoriously averse to high risk so their activity in the market is encouraging.
    Cheers all
    Best wishes
    from the great south land

  18. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: York potash project

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    This has progressed quite well of late , market cap of around a billion not to be sneezed at. The financing part of the equation due to be announced in coming weeks. With the amount of buying being done by Institutions it would seem they at least are confident of finance being arranged . Fund managers are notoriously averse to high risk so their activity in the market is encouraging.
    Cheers all
    Best wishes
    from the great south land
    Not just working out so well.......
    So far just big hole in the ground!
    https://apple.news/AsMYQxZiBR6yfYNbL8fQc2w

  19. #49
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: York potash project

    There is a lot of activity round the main site and the (halfway along) tunnel construction shaft.
    But still just glorified holes, I'm about 50/50 on at least temporary stop on activity.
    So far several things have given the impression the more money being spent the better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •