Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GAIA turbines

Re: GAIA turbines

is there only one person with a mark 1 tower? or could it be a problem specific to this machine? or customer? or installer?. I have gaias installed by gaia and have had none of the communication problems listed here, have I just been lucky? I would have expected the BFF to have heard from others by now?

I had a company wanting me to go with them to have my turbine serviced and would give me a price for the service, as I was told Gaia are no longer doing this in house anymore, haven't spoken to Gaia as yet to see if this is true. I know I will need to have it serviced to keep the warranty safe. What price should a service be and what's all involved in the service?

I've heard basic services range from £350 to £1600 for exactly the same thing; Myriad seem to add £1000 just for fun. So some out there are taking the pee. Services vary depending on which service interval but as far as I know the basic is just inspection and greasing bearings - about half an hours work. Every 2nd year I think the gearbox oil needs changing and another the bush for the teeter will need changing (which means the blade has to come off but can be done without a crane!) So that'll be a fair bit more. If you are on a higher wind site then the brake pads will probably need doing annually - simple job.
    I'd get hold of the 3 nearest installers/services and get written quotes off each, with a full breakdown. Then haggle, especially if you have another Gaia near who can service on the same day.
    I haven't actually had to pay for a service yet so can't tell you what I pay here.

Shop around.
    some want Thousands, mileage, lunch, etc.etc on top,others, hundreds, but check what they do?
    Expensive shot of grease otherwise (if they even do that) ?

Thanks for advice, who do you all use for your servicing, and who seems to be good at their job?

For what it is worth, WindCare service a lot of Gaia wind turbines and charge £450 for a single turbine or £850 for a twin site (+ mileage from Pickering, North Yorkshire). Due to the volume of turbines we work on, we can normally combine with another job in the area and keep the mileage cost down. By passing this saving on we can be competitive over a greater distance (today we are in Kidderminster and Bristol). We also offer a 5 year fixed price service package for the Gaia which is quite popular and includes the oil change every other yearwww.windcare.co.uk. Alex Thornton

I had GAIA service my turbine last July . £895 for about two hours work and they were in the area doing another job . I felt a bit cheated ,
    It was the first service and i was worried about warranty .
    Would WindCare go up as far as east Scotland ?
    Just gave in my FIT reading 9162 kw for three months .

I have to say, Mudman, you are right to feel cheated, that's a rip-off. First service should be under £500. Gaia ain't doing themselves any favours!

Hi Mudman, we go wherever the work takes us and spend quite a bit of time up in Scotland. We installed a couple of Gaia turbines up near Kinross a while back and I wonder whether we could try and tie in the servicing on these with yours (I think they are due March '14 but will check)? Our groundworks crew is up in Perth Mon/Tue/Wed next week (which isnít much good for you!) but our service guys are working in the Borders w/c 10thJune and then Stirling end of June so could combine with you then. Please send me an email with your postcode and I will quote for the work tomorrow. We will do you a gearbox oil change FOC as this will be your 2nd service alex.thornton@windcare.co.uk or 01751 472595/07825 994004. Kind regards. Alex Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    I had GAIA service my turbine last July . £895 for about two hours work and they were in the area doing another job . I felt a bit cheated ,
    It was the first service and i was worried about warranty .
    Would WindCare go up as far as east Scotland ?
    Just gave in my FIT reading 9162 kw for three months .
    That service charge is scandalous. Our annual check up is less than half that. I know we're in another region but that shouldn't really come into it.

You should be please with that performance so far though.

We have the following Gaia servicing slots available in June if anyone is interested?

10th June - 1 x service slot Edinburgh/Perth

21st June - 2 x service slots national

24th Ė 28th June - 4 x service slots Aberdeen /Inverness

If you are interested in any of the above, please email me with your postcode, how many turbines you have and the date of install and I will reply with a quote by return. We offer a free gearbox oil change for all 2nd/ 4th year services on the Gaia turbine alex.thornton@windcare.co.uk

Alex Thornton (I apologise in advance if I am breaking any rules by doing this)

After a bit of phoning about and E-mailing I have decided to get Gaia to service my turbine , they have got a bit cheaper and as they are the closed to me so the milage charge is the smallest and i guess they know what they are doing .
    One firm said i needed hub bushes changed at £600 and possably the Bump stops changed at £400 for its second year service .

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    After a bit of phoning about and E-mailing I have decided to get Gaia to service my turbine , they have got a bit cheaper and as they are the closed to me so the milage charge is the smallest and i guess they know what they are doing .
    One firm said i needed hub bushes changed at £600 and possably the Bump stops changed at £400 for its second year service .
    Thats not good for its SECOND YEAR ???

The Bushes do need changing more often than you'd think but £600 is taking the pee - about £300 per hour?? I'd be surprised if the bump stops ever need changing. I've got bump stops on equipment which are 60 years old and are as good as new!

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    The Bushes do need changing more often than you'd think but £600 is taking the pee - about £300 per hour?? I'd be surprised if the bump stops ever need changing. I've got bump stops on equipment which are 60 years old and are as good as new!
    Looked into this recently for a friend who was told the same. The £600 is what Gaia charge for the parts only.....there's still the labour on top of that, anything from 2-4hrs!! Absolutely crazy! Got a manufacturer name for the bushes and was going to try and source elsewhere but haven't had a chance yet. With it being a free yawing turbine (purely using the blade to turn it into the wind) there is apparently quite some wear on the bump stops, particularly on turbulent sites. My friends installer simply turned them round in his recent service (2nd year) as they were each just worn on one side.....good for another couple of years and £300 saved! Will try and source them elsewhere too at that price!

windy

Those prices really are taking the micky! I think Gaia may find a lot of people sourcing parts from other suppliers as soon as the warrantee expires. Serves them right.
    Yes Windy I suppose the bumps stops do work a bit on some sites but that's got to be one of the easier parts to make so some saving to be made there. Cheers.

Does changing the oil in the gearbox make the turbine run quieter ?
    Mine is making a bit of a whining noise , you notice it most on calm summer evenings .

Mudman - I shouldn't think so unless the oil has leaked out! Apparently the gearbox noise does vary hugely. Mine makes a whine, most noticeable on less windy days (like yours), one up the road makes no noise at all. Have asked the installer about it and mine is quite quiet apparently, there have been some that have been replaced under warantee but I think it would have to be well out of noise spec. for them to do that. Think they must have chosen a good one to do the noise tests on!

I am on my 3rd nacelle . 1st was quiet but had a crack on the frame , was replaced . 2nd made such a noise that the neighbours complained and was changed under warranty . Now the 3rd is noisier than the 1st but a lot quieter than the 2nd .
    I was just wondering if oil change makes a differance or if it gets quieter as it gets older as mybe the gears loosen off a bit , or noisier as it wares .

Sounds like you have had a run of bad luck Mudman. 3rd Nacelle!
    I'd have thought that, presuming there is oil in the gearbox, the noise will stay roughly the same throughout it's life. Since noise is a result of the friction between the moving parts, then the build quality of the gearbox will play a large part - which is a bit of a worry. The gears and how they mess together will also be a factor - take a car gearbox, the gears are cut helical so they mesh together quietly but loose efficiency, a racing car therefore has straight cut gears for maximum efficiency but makes a whining noise which you couldn't live with in a family car. If the Gaia gears are straight cut then there will always be a whine. A louder whine indicates a variation in how the gearbox is put together or the accuracy of the gear cut. This day and age there should be no difference between the gear cut.

I just had my service done by Gaia wind . The engineer came down from the tower and said we are going have to shut your machine down as you have a crack blade !
    The next day Gaia phoned and said they will replace the blade under warranty even though it is 28 months old and out off warranty . the blade is one of the bad ones made in 2010 and I will have to pay for the crane hire .
    5 days later the blade was replaced and i am up and running , not happy that the blade failed but the new one has a deeper profile and is ment to be stonger .
    but I am pleased with the service from Gaia .

How many more defective blades are out there surely it should have been replaced at there expense before a crack had time to appear.

The blade on the Gaia sent for testing in the USA (for their accreditation scheme?) was found to have cracks after 12 months, that must have been a few years ago now. I suspect some may crack others may not and even the dodgy batch may have blades which won't crack. If a crack appears Gaia should replace it. However, their warrantee never did include a crane so that was never very good. Why many bought a better warrantee through the installer.

I have a "Logic Energy Live Monitoring" modem on my gaia that transmits data via cell to a server so that you can see production of the turbine over time. The sim card gaia supplied on install stopped working, and gaia tell me I need to buy and pay for my own. So I finally found one that sounds reasonably priced. Lycamobile pay as you go looks like it will be about $10 a year. So I am trying to get it to work. Anybody else have one of these? Basically this modem has a sim card in it and a micro sd card. the micro sd card has a config.txt file on it with the settings needed to get the modem to connect to the sim data network. Anybody know what these settings should be? the gaia live monitoring person thought it needed to be something like this:
    [GPRS]
    apn=data.lycamobile.com
    usr=lmus
    pwd=plus

but that does not work. Lycamobile customer service only knows about cell phones, so I put the sim card in my cell phone and looked at the settings they sent, but of course they are not in the format of the above. google tells me a lot about cell phones settings but nothing about the Logic Energy modem. any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks