Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cyclists a real pest .

cyclists a real pest .

Why do cyclists act so arrogant and awkward towards tractors they neather wave you by pull into side or let you past they seem to of been out in droves this weekend if they gave a little respect they would gain a little respect in return

Re: cyclists a real pest .

Quote Originally Posted by rws View Post
    Why do cyclists act so arrogant and awkward towards tractors they neather wave you by pull into side or let you past they seem to of been out in droves this weekend if they gave a little respect they would gain a little respect in return
    Usually because they are having the shite frightened out of them as you hurtle along at 40kms/hr

Quote Originally Posted by rws View Post
    Someone tries to knock me off most days. There is no type that tries to kill me nor is there a type of person that is careful. You'd think that young lads would be more wreckless than school run mums, but I'm just as likely if not more so, have a mum who should know better try to squeeze past than a young tearaway.

Perhaps sir would like to get off his tractor and see what it is like with a tractor bearing down on you or see how to react to the unmistakable roar of an SUV gaining quickly, or are you too fat for cycling?
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Dave Applesquasher

They are closing the roads around here for a cycle run in August.
    5 hours on a Sunday so nobody can get to our farm shop, nobody can get to the busy local pub for Sunday lunch, I can't get to and from work, etc etc.
    Weekends really are a pain around here with cyclists holding you up. I don't mean single cyclists, I can cope with them and have no problem whatsoever with that, It is the gangs of 10-20+ riding 5 abreast and on the wrong side of the road. Plus the attitude you get from nearly all of them.

It's getting nearly as bad in the week with a lot of geriatrics in lycra too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    They are closing the roads around here for a cycle run in August.
    5 hours on a Sunday so nobody can get to our farm shop, nobody can get to the busy local pub for Sunday lunch, I can't get to and from work, etc etc.
    Weekends really are a pain around here with cyclists holding you up. I don't mean single cyclists, I can cope with them and have no problem whatsoever with that, It is the gangs of 10-20+ riding 5 abreast and on the wrong side of the road. Plus the attitude you get from nearly all of them.

What, nobody at all? oh sorry, you mean nobody whose arse is glued to the seat of a car, anyone capable of walking or cycling a few yards can still get there.

Shock, horror...old people getting outside and exercising!
    Why don't you just speed up on your tractor and mow them all down, better still, have them all shot!

Kin' ell' Apples I thought you were above all that shite.

Dave Applesquasher

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    What, nobody at all? oh sorry, you mean nobody whose arse is glued to the seat of a car, anyone capable of walking or cycling a few yards can still get there.
    Oh yes sorry, of course everybody goes shopping on foot these days don't they.
    It is a farm shop, it is at a farm, not in the middle of a town or village. Nobody is going to walk 3 miles to do their grocery shopping are they.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuffler View Post
    Shock, horror...old people getting outside and exercising!
    Why don't you just speed up on your tractor and mow them all down, better still, have them all shot!

Kin' ell' Apples I thought you were above all that shite.
    Above all what shite? The bit where I'm not mad keen on dozens of cyclists whizzing round the corner on the wrong side of the road?
    I had it firmly ground into me as a child that you stay on your own side of the road and keep well out of the way of cars. That's all.
    They worry me because the last thing I would ever want to do is hurt someone, I also try very hard never to inconvenience anybody in any way if I can help it. It irritates me when I don't get the same in return, unfortunately I'm not above that shite either but we all have our faults.
    If they want to risk crashing into me in my car or my tractor I can promise you it isn't me that is going to come off worse.

A fella had his car written off just up the road recently when cyclists decided to come round the corner on the wrong side and crash into him. I doubt he's above all that shite either now.
    The air ambulance and 14 police cars attended that one. The police told the car driver he would have to pay for the car because the cyclists very rarely have insurance. I suppose being a cyclist they are above all that shite.

Live and let live Wuffler, simple as that.

Live and let live Wuffler, simple as that.
    You want to try that yourself sometime.

They're closing the road for 5 whole hours, for the rest of the day, and indeed the other 365 days of the year, people can still drive to your shop. for those 5 hours, people get to participate in a healthy pastime in safety, who knows, some of them might even spend some money with you.

You want to try that yourself sometime.

who knows, some of them might even spend some money with you.
    Heaven forbid!
    I hope they haven't been reading some of his anti-cycling twatwaffle.

cyclists are even worse than horses at least you can hear a horse or the rider can hear you comming, most of the cyclists around here have their bloody iplayer earphones in and can't hear, if more than 1 nearly always running side by side. what is it with people not just cyclists on narrow roads that can see you comming towards them and they still drive past a gateway rather than pull in till you pass them, and don't even get me started on 4x4 drivers that wont even put a wheel on the verge

Total arrogant dick heads some of them.......A class road around here....all to often you come across single cyclist pedalling along in poor visibility conditions WEARING AN ALL BLACK OUTFIT with a piddling flashing LED rear light....talk about having a death wish.
    But of course self righteous arrogance takes over and the entire wheeled world should step aside to allow them to progress in their bubble of arrogance.
    If they want to use the roads, respect other users (who actually pay through fuel duty and taxation to use the roads) and think safe.
    Motor cyclists come a close second, overtaking a line of 60mph traffic 18 inches from the doors of the aforementioned vehicles?? Another Death wish.
    4x4's pulling horse boxes!!!! No way is the side of the road even a consideration, close the eyes and grip the steering wheel tightly, always worked before.......and anyways, if it all goes wrong Daddy will pay.
    Grrr
    Grrr

gee

as a cyclist type myself, there's nothing I enjoy more than holding up other cyclists with the dairy herd on their daily walk down the road.. it'll ruin their Strava times

I gave up cycling when I was 16, well, didn't really give up, my bike was worn out, too small and had other things such as shotguns and clay pigeon traps to spend my few quid on, but... I wouldn't fancy taking up cycling now, seems to be more traffic on the road in comparison to 15 years ago, or am I just more aware of it now? I might buy a bike and go cycling on the new cycling trails we have up here, a lot safer than the roads, IMO. It is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, a few years ago a whole herd of cyclists were mown down near Abergele, they were out at 5 am on a frozen morning, the road had frozen again, and some fool going to work with bald tyres flattened them on a bend, a catalogue of unfortunate events, but I said to myself at the time the roads are no longer safe for cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    Someone tries to knock me off most days. There is no type that tries to kill me nor is there a type of person that is careful. You'd think that young lads would be more wreckless than school run mums, but I'm just as likely if not more so, have a mum who should know better try to squeeze past than a young tearaway.

Perhaps sir would like to get off his tractor and see what it is like with a tractor bearing down on you or see how to react to the unmistakable roar of an SUV gaining quickly, or are you too fat for cycling?
    If I try driving past loads of passing places with my tractor, pc plod will have words with me, probably inviting me to write a cheque in return for some points, same if I go through a red light, drive on the pavement or forget to put my lights on. Mr or Mrs cyclist gets away with it.

Recently while going to the station to pick up my son i was stopped at a pedestrian crossing, a cyclist rode up the inside of me nearly knocked an old woman flying and carried on, further along at a set of road works the cyclist went on to the pavement passed the road works and back onto the road. two minutes later I met the cyclist chaining his bike to a lamp post and I let him know that I considered his conduct to be unsafe and that it was people like him that got cyclists a bad name. while I was polite and calm (not how I felt inside I must say) what returned to me was a tirade of foul mouthed abuse, this from a man in his 50's or 60's.

I know you only ever notice the bad ones but there are an awful lot of those around now. We all have to share the same roads, but we must also share the same rules.

I find reading Noggers dogs blog deals with this subject perfectly.

SNG

There has been a huge rise in the number of cyclists here over the last 5 years.

1 or 2 are fine. 3 or more and there is a proportional element of 'mob road ownership' that they start to display. The more LYCRA they wear the worse it tends to get, with the 'Tour de France' clad wannabes the worst of the lot - they typically pose around on 3 grands worth of carbon fibre in gimp suit' leggings, mirrored shades, a TEAM SKY top, and a license to ride the white line around blind corners. They have the same collective intelligence (and lack of self preservation) as a flock of sheep.

And before anyone mumps about seeing traffic from their point of cue - I'm a cyclist too.

The UK is criss crossed by millions of miles of bridle paths.

I have have absolutely no clue why anyone would wish to ride a push bike on the road unless they are particularly keen on organ donation. Surely bridle paths are more interesting and far less 'exciting'?

You only have to witness the average skill and driving style of your typical car driver these days to realise its only a matter of time before the roads are just one giant car crash. You really want to put a layer of lycra between you and the next car, be my guest.

What makes me laugh are all these cyclist idiots who complain and want the speed limit lowered. I have never experienced it, but I would think being hit at 40 hurts as much as being hit at 60, only guessing though. Anyway, vehicle drivers pay car tax and the duty on their fuel so its our road because we paid for it. If cyclists could say the same they might have a valid point.

It does amuse me to see how some cyclists choose to accept and ignore road traffic laws according to whatever situation they find themselves in. I am told cyclists should not ride pavements nor thread through traffic or undertake larger vehicles but they do.

Anyway, don't let threads like this get you down. Just watch youtube and laugh at how the logical 'the larger the vehicle the more respectful you are of it' rule is forgotten by cyclists, to their peril.

And before I forget, pro-tip- next time you overtake a cyclist, and he's behind you in your slipstream, drive so your nearside wheels are in that lovely bit of dust at the side of the carriageway. Net result: silicosis and the poor bloke dies by the time he's 40.

ah, cyclists , the devils spawn . should only be allowed out at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    The UK is criss crossed by millions of miles of bridle paths.

I have have absolutely no clue why anyone would wish to ride a push bike on the road unless they are particularly keen on organ donation. Surely bridle paths are more interesting and far less 'exciting'?

You only have to witness the average skill and driving style of your typical car driver these days to realise its only a matter of time before the roads are just one giant car crash. You really want to put a layer of lycra between you and the next car, be my guest.

What makes me laugh are all these cyclist idiots who complain and want the speed limit lowered. I have never experienced it, but I would think being hit at 40 hurts as much as being hit at 60, only guessing though. Anyway, vehicle drivers pay car tax and the duty on their fuel so its our road because we paid for it. If cyclists could say the same they might have a valid point.

It does amuse me to see how some cyclists choose to accept and ignore road traffic laws according to whatever situation they find themselves in. I am told cyclists should not ride pavements nor thread through traffic or undertake larger vehicles but they do.

Anyway, don't let threads like this get you down. Just watch youtube and laugh at how the logical 'the larger the vehicle the more respectful you are of it' rule is forgotten by cyclists, to their peril.

And before I forget, pro-tip- next time you overtake a cyclist, and he's behind you in your slipstream, drive so your nearside wheels are in that lovely bit of dust at the side of the carriageway. Net result: silicosis and the poor bloke dies by the time he's 40.
    Is there some sort of competition for who can be the biggest misanthropic bell end on the internet at the moment or something? only if there is, well done, you've got it nailed right there.

Cool Re: cyclists a real pest .

Is there some sort of competition for who can be the biggest misanthropic bell end on the internet at the moment or something? only if there is, well done, you've got it nailed right there.
    Love it

Just come back from cycling around our cattle keep thinking it is keeping me fit the bloody one bunch are always as far away as they can get on top of a steep bank, but you can bike right through the centre of them and they don't worry so get nice and close to see any problems and I am single handed saving the planet. The comments about biking bridleways is ok if you have a mountain bike but not much use for road bikes personally I can't see the pleasure in road cycling with all that traffic but then again I am privileged to have our own land and quite country lanes.

Just come back from supporting my wife at the Outlaw triathlon, which included cycling 112 miles on partially closed roads between Nottingham and Newark.

I am a cyclist, both riding on my own and in large groups, and also a tractor driver and a motorist.

Live and let live I say.

We all deserve a little understanding at times and I can equally lose road manners on any type of transport. I do try to remember though, that if I get it wrong on a bike I will die and if I get it wrong in a tractor or car someone else will die.

Riding in a group 2 abreast is a perfectly accepted means on a busy road, which I find safer as motorists have to complete a manoeuvre to overtake rather than chance by at 80mph and hope they don't clip you.

Cyclists are no more likely to end up on the wrong side of a minor road on a bend than other road users. It's probably the poor road surface to blame, or overhanging hedges.

There is nothing I hate more though than someone who thinks cyclists should get out of their way when approaching from behind. You often don't even hear a car approaching.

They are shutting the roads round here for a day next weekend to allow a cycle race. Only shutting it one way though. Traffic will be allowed to travel in the same direction as the racers. And do you know why? Because the organisers have done a risk assessment and decided that the racers cannot be trusted not to overtake on the wrong side of the road on blind corners and hill tops.

Cars and motorbikes are not allowed to race on public roads. Why should a large group of cyclists be allowed too?

Sorry. Racing cyclists are one of my few pet hates in life.

I have no problem with cyclists, unless they are racing on the roads, it should not be allowed as the head goes down and they care not who or what is going on round them. No other form of racing is allowed as far as I know so why cycle racing? Oh and they are bloody dangerous the hoards they go round in either over the entire width of the road or stretched out over half a mile so no-one can get past. Other than that it's a healthy pastime.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Matbrojoe, even I laughed at that. And its such a lovely word, too. Misanthropic. I like that.

Anyway, may your organ donating brethren continue to grace our roads, a bit of variety in the local roadkill on my way around brightens my day.

I try and respect them, I don t go bombing up behind them with the tractor hit the brakes and try and scare them by driving closely in hope I shall frighten them into pulling over. I find if I keep a safe distance behind them they pull over and let me in. This is on single track roads where overtakng impossible. Unless your my father. How many people get stuck behind tractors that don t pull in?

What does piss me off is when overtaking them on A roads they slipstream me speeding up and not letting me pull in again. Put one in the ditch once doing this a people carrier coming the other way and he wouldn t slow down so had to move over. Faced with the option of a head on with a family in a car or him grazing his legs I felt this was the appropriate option. I stopped to see if he was ok and asked what he was thinking? Told him to report me to police if he wanted to take it further. Never heard anything.

Life is too short to get mad about being stuck behind a cyclist. Everyone thinks they are most important and must get their first. Just chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    I have no problem with cyclists, unless they are racing on the roads, it should not be allowed as the head goes down and they care not who or what is going on round them.
    Chap round here last year or year before was killed whilst in a race, head down etc, cycled straight into a broken down car on the side of the road, never saw it! Broke his neck by all accounts.
    I did have one chap grab hold of the lever arm on the back of the grain cart hitch a ride for 3 miles, Darwinian selection at it`s best!!!

The thing that concerns me is that if you ever get involved in an RTA with a cyclist, I feel the police would automatically assume it is the vehicle drivers fault, yet youtube footage of them in London etc shows that this is far from always the case in reality.

if I had a dictionary id look that up its sounds really good
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

This thread makes me sad. I actually can't believe people feel so strongly against people out enjoying being in the countryside.
    Mayo, your post shows you've reached a new low.