Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 213

Thread: cyclists a real pest .

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    659

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Just one small question:

    If the road is closed for 5 hours, is that not against the law unless public notices hasve been published?

    Jack Caley.

    PS Speaking personally, when my daughter used to ride her bike, I always worried because I know how easy it is to get either a cyclist or a motorcyclist in the blind spot in modern cars.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Just one small question:

    If the road is closed for 5 hours, is that not against the law unless public notices hasve been published?

    Jack Caley.

    PS Speaking personally, when my daughter used to ride her bike, I always worried because I know how easy it is to get either a cyclist or a motorcyclist in the blind spot in modern cars.
    Closing the roads takes a lot of organising, the police and the council get involved and it all has to be well publicised, normally it is a last resort.

    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    I totally agree !! They use to race down the local duel carriageway...complete madness . Where is there tax disc & insurance ??
    Vehicle Excise Duty is a duty on CO2 emissions. You can buy cars that have low enough emissions not to have to pay VED (but still display a disc). Tractor run around for free too IIRC

    Perhaps we should have a list of hobbies where we tell the class what our hobbies are and everyone else tells you what a pain in the arse you are for doing it.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  3. #63
    Senior Member daven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany (Northern Bavaria)
    Posts
    483

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    Perhaps we should have a list of hobbies where we tell the class what our hobbies are and everyone else tells you what a pain in the arse you are for doing it.

    Careful Bro.... You's gonna be over here on the group W bench too......
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,119

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Having used the road in many guises over the years including car, tractor, horse, trailer towing and cycling the common point through out is a lack of common courtesy from some road users from all different walks life. I have seen artics blocking the motorway with ridiculous over taking, had people up my rear on a Sunday bike ride for them to turn left in 25m (usually BM drivers around here), tractors that will not pull over on bad passing roads and idiots driving past horses too close and too fast. Oh and my favourite, horn going off because one has not pulled away on the second the light goes green. Turn it around the other way I have been 'let in ' in thick traffic by truck drivers, allowed to turn on a bike across a difficult junction, come across many tractors in mid Devon recently where the majority were very careful, horse riders for whom the word thanks is a mystery and cyclists riding in large groups round tight lanes.

  5. #65
    Senior Member Bumble Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    182

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Having used the road in many guises over the years including car, tractor, horse, trailer towing and cycling the common point through out is a lack of common courtesy from some road users from all different walks life. I have seen artics blocking the motorway with ridiculous over taking, had people up my rear on a Sunday bike ride for them to turn left in 25m (usually BM drivers around here), tractors that will not pull over on bad passing roads and idiots driving past horses too close and too fast. Oh and my favourite, horn going off because one has not pulled away on the second the light goes green. Turn it around the other way I have been 'let in ' in thick traffic by truck drivers, allowed to turn on a bike across a difficult junction, come across many tractors in mid Devon recently where the majority were very careful, horse riders for whom the word thanks is a mystery and cyclists riding in large groups round tight lanes.
    Ahhh... BMW drivers. We could have a whole thread devoted to those inconsiderate B******s

    @predial Badminton.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Mr Noo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    209

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    They were racing down the A168 dual carriageway near Thrisk two or three weeks back. They won't cross the line onto the hard shoulder. No, they have to ride up the main carriageway. It made me cringe when I saw it. It looked plain suicidal!.
    They were on the A419 2 weeks ago, same thing, how there wasn`t an accident I don`t know, it`s bad at the best of times

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    I do struggle with the logic that if roads are dangerous then it's the fault of cyclists for daring to ride on them rather than the fault of the motorists who are driving like tw@ts and hence making it dangerous in the first place.

    Anyway, in my mile long journey back from the hay field today i saw no less than 6 people using hand held mobiles whilst driving, so following the logic of this thread where posters can condemn all cyclists based on the behaviour of one they once saw doing something silly, i think that's sufficient evidence to say categorically that all motorists are irresponsible law breakers.

    Oh, hang on, I'm a motorist....

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Noo View Post
    They were on the A419 2 weeks ago, same thing, how there wasn`t an accident I don`t know, it`s bad at the best of times
    Oh this seems like a theme then , How about a regular time trial that's held on the A19 duel carriageway on a saturday just south of Middlesbrough if I'm up that way I see them more often than not so must be a regular thing.

    now it must be club that organises that and someday some one is sure to be killed taking part it can only be a matter of time .
    i don't know for sure but i would assume that you pay a entry fee but to do it, as they have numbers on and timers in place.
    so how would you go about justifying the use of a very busy A road like that For a club activity In say a risk assessment ?
    Sure there allowed to use it but hardly a wise choice considering the risks and traffic volumes involved and someday someone will I suspect end up in court answering some serious questions , now if an accident was to happen the vehicle driver will no doubt be to "blame" but in reality it's an accident waiting to happen.


    many years ago I had a road cyclist taking part in some sort of event started hanging on to the nearside of the header trailer behind the combine as i passed him on a steep hill i could not pull back across the road because if i did he would be in the ditch , he fell off eventually and thankfully no harm was done but what a muppet. ( Mind it was funny watching him in the mirror )

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    Vehicle Excise Duty is a duty on CO2 emissions. You can buy cars that have low enough emissions not to have to pay VED (but still display a disc).
    It used to be called "Road Fund License", and if it wasn't for motor vehicles paying it we would still be using glorified cart tracks.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I do struggle with the logic that if roads are dangerous then it's the fault of cyclists for daring to ride on them rather than the fault of the motorists who are driving like tw@ts and hence making it dangerous in the first place.

    Anyway, in my mile long journey back from the hay field today i saw no less than 6 people using hand held mobiles whilst driving, so following the logic of this thread where posters can condemn all cyclists based on the behaviour of one they once saw doing something silly, i think that's sufficient evidence to say categorically that all motorists are irresponsible law breakers.

    Oh, hang on, I'm a motorist....
    Oh another anti-motorist rant, again, what exactly are roads for then?

    For a comparatively small group of road users you have to admit cyclists do seem to have suicidal tendencies? Should cyclists be insured I wonder, so anyone who suffers paint damage from taking one out can get their car resprayed?

    I understand also that successful organ transplants are soaring, though surgeons were previously unaware that major car manufacturers were producing such things, surprised even more to spot their usual company badges imprinted in them!!!


    Seriously, get a mountain bike, ride on bridle paths and maybe avoid being collected by a passing Audi or Buckrake, or is the threat of death or serious injury part of the appeal? Maybe take up Russian roulette with a 12 bore, at least it wouldn't inconvenience genuine road users?

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Oh another anti-motorist rant, again,
    Actually it's an anti idiot rant, but i can see why you might be offended by those.

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Actually it's an anti idiot rant, but i can see why you might be offended by those.
    Seriously, I don't mind the no road tax but you hold a donors card, right?

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Seriously, I don't mind the no road tax but you hold a donors card, right?
    Is the reason that you're so keen on organ donation because you've already donated your brain?

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Road tax was abolished in 1937, BTW. Do keep up.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    324

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    Ahhh... BMW drivers. We could have a whole thread devoted to those inconsiderate B******s

    @predial Badminton.
    All German car drivers seem to be inconsiderate Tin hat is ready & waiting

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    It used to be called "Road Fund License", and if it wasn't for motor vehicles paying it we would still be using glorified cart tracks.
    It's not called Road Fund License any more and hasn't been for some time. It just goes into the general tax payers pot for spending where ever our leaders see fit. Do you assume that cyclists don't pay tax? How much money do you need to earn to afford a 5 grand bike and have enough spare time to get on your tits instead of being at work?
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    908

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Virtually all cyclists are covered by their house insurance.
    ok not all have it.
    but nor apparently do 30% of car drivers have vehicle insurance
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    324

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    Closing the roads takes a lot of organising, the police and the council get involved and it all has to be well publicised, normally it is a last resort.



    Vehicle Excise Duty is a duty on CO2 emissions. You can buy cars that have low enough emissions not to have to pay VED (but still display a disc). Tractor run around for free too IIRC

    Perhaps we should have a list of hobbies where we tell the class what our hobbies are and everyone else tells you what a pain in the arse you are for doing it.
    yeah but the low emission cars still pay tax on there fuel...where do cyclists make a contribution to the roads ? They are normally the 1st to moan about a pothole .

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Can you get grey matter off your paint work with T cut? Anyone know?

  20. #80
    Senior Member Bumble Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    182

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Now that you mention potholes.... As they are closing our road (one way) for the cycle race, the council has seen fit for the second year running, to come and fill in all the potholes, so that the cyclists do not tumble off and sue them. At least some good has come of it

  21. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    Now that you mention potholes.... As they are closing our road (one way) for the cycle race, the council has seen fit for the second year running, to come and fill in all the potholes, so that the cyclists do not tumble off and sue them. At least some good has come of it
    Where is the sport in that?!

  22. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    yeah but the low emission cars still pay tax on there fuel...where do cyclists make a contribution to the roads ? They are normally the 1st to moan about a pothole .

    PAYE, VAT, the duty they pay on the fuel they put in their cars for a start.

    Does a bike put much wear and tear on the road? My motorbike has more expensive VED than a Prius and ridden with some gusto will use more fuel. How much fuel duty is on cherry and how much wear does a tractor put on the road?
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  23. #83
    Senior Member Spotty Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    342

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    So we're almost all agreed then that cyclists are a right pain in the arse and get in everybody's way all the bloody time ?
    This thread is getting way too long.
    Like Phils ebay thread, I am henceforth not going to read it anymore.

  24. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    176

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post
    Joke

    A man wins the lottery and buys himself a big Mercedes benz,as has always wanted one.
    On the way out of the showroom he thinks ill go show my best mate my new car .
    His mate jumps in the car and stars fiddling with all the gadgets and feels how well designed and perfect the car is made
    After a few minutes he notices the star on the bonnet and asks his friend, why his new car has that thing on the bonnet the star!

    The car owner says that’s a special German cyclist’s sight to knock them off the road
    Both mean laugh and carry on driving around after a while they come up behind a cyclist
    With a knowing grin they look at each other and accelerate,then just at the last moment the driver swerves to go around the cyclist
    His much bewildered friend turns to him and asks how much this car cost!!
    boastingly the driver says 150 k
    The passenger says well if I were you, I would take it back, but for me opening my door you would have mist that cyclist!
    heard much the same joke about a deer hunter

    true story i heard mate used to take the overlander tours old bedfords and duble decker buses meddle east africa etc etc
    any hows one guys driveing along goes past one of the locals on a bike loaded up with plastic bottles ( think of the funny pic's bikes stacked 10 foot high with bottles etc etc )
    looks behind and here's the fella fallen off his bike

    next one they come to pulls out a bit more to pass same deal looks behind and the guys fallen off his bike bottles all over the road

    keep chuging along pass another guy pulls out a bit more same deal happens

    next one he passes he pulls out a bit more and watchs in the wing merror as he passes just as he gets to the back of the bus one of the travelers leans out with a broom and push's the cyclist over

  25. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    838

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post

    What does piss me off is when overtaking them on A roads they slipstream me speeding up and not letting me pull in again. Put one in the ditch once doing this a people carrier coming the other way and he wouldn t slow down so had to move over. Faced with the option of a head on with a family in a car or him grazing his legs I felt this was the appropriate option. I stopped to see if he was ok and asked what he was thinking? Told him to report me to police if he wanted to take it further. Never heard anything.
    Had the same thing a couple of months ago. Followed this bike at a respectful distance for a couple of corners, at about 30k, waiting for the straight I knew was coming up. Straight was empty so I moved up and pulled out, then he looks over his shoulder and started racing me
    So I was stuck half way over the white line, couldn't get past him, couldn't pull over without knocking him down and couldn't drop back because a lorry had moved up close, ready to be next to overtake (both of us, probably). By this time another lorry was coming the other way.
    Fortunately the lorry-driver behind me was on the ball and realised what was happening because he flashed his lights in my mirror and dropped back. Otherwise God knows what would have happened.
    He pulled off at the next junction so I never got the chance to have a quiet word

  26. #86
    Senior Member daven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany (Northern Bavaria)
    Posts
    483

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    I just knocked a guy off a bike yesterday evening... Was going thru town in the open lane when a car coming the other way didn't wait behind the parked cars on his side. I got as far over as I could without going on the sidewalk to avoid the car but bicycle that had been following me was passing on my right (not allowed).... He went asshole for teakettle into a lady's flowers and broke a little picket fence. Couple of folks there saw it and stopped the car and called the police and ambulance for the bike rider. Police came and sent me on my way after asking if I needed immediate medical or phsycological attention and spent some quality time with the bike rider and driver of the other car.
    I think some folks just get in their own little world and don't realize what they are doing. Had it been one of the neighbors with a big maching and not my little 40hp with a wagon and 40 bales of hay, that bike/rider would have been road pizza.....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

  27. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Perthshire
    Posts
    153

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Something very similar once happened to me; but I was the cyclist and I don't feel I was in the wrong... I was riding in town down a busy, congested road which narrowed further on. A lorry began to overtake me - there was plenty of room at this point but the traffic was only moving slowly - so he and I were going along side by side. However in his view, I think, I was a stationary object which he had already passed and which could be forgotten, as slowly the lorry began to draw in towards me until it caught my handlebar and threw me onto the pavement. So to him it might have seemed that I was trying to overtake on the inside, but from where I sat (on the pavement) it seemed rather that he tried to overtake without sufficient thought as to whether he could get past and without checking in his wing mirror.

    This is exactly the sort of thing which happens less today, I believe; now it would be far more usual for the driver to slow down and follow the cyclist rather than forcing the cyclist to make the adjustment or risk being put off the road.

  28. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Perthshire
    Posts
    153

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Of course, it could just be the visual impact of a generous, middle-aged physique enhanced by the ready availability of lycra and fluorescent clothing, pedalling like the wind that keeps the motorists at bay...

  29. #89
    Senior Member daven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany (Northern Bavaria)
    Posts
    483

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    Some things just can't be unseen............ If this guy wanted to pass, he should have done it correctly like any other vehicle would have to do (on the left side, guess you folks would be the right side) and not just dart around on a whim.... Maybe paying for the damage he caused (probably shared by the driver of the car), fixing his own bike, nursing the scratches and bruises, and replacing his sexy little get up will teach him a lesson... Doubt it tho, he was well into his 50's....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

  30. #90
    Senior Member Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Devon
    Posts
    792

    Re: cyclists a real pest .

    The comment about the fact you get idiots on Bikes, but also in Cars, Lorries, Vans, Tractors, Handlers & even on foot...is a pretty good reflection of reality.

    The cyclists that really do infuriate people surely have to be the ones that run Red Lights ??

    We were driving up the old A30 the other day, in & out of the various traffic lights & road works etc. We stopped at the first set of traffic lights...Matey on his bike comes up on the inside of us, waits for a bit...then decides the road is wide enough for him just to peddle on with cars & lorries etc coming the other way !
    A comment from our 12 year old in the back seat "what a pratt".
    The lights changed to green...and off we went. We overtook the cyclist a little further down the road, before we came to a set of 3-way traffic lights.
    I watched in my wing mirror as matey on the bike approached & came up on the inside once again...this time he mounted the pavement to get past the traffic lights & then went straight across the junction, forcing the driver of an L200 pick-up that was coming out of the junction (on a green light) to brake sharply to avoid hitting the idiot. A less aware driver would have hit this pillock & could well have killed him!
    When we passed the cyclist further on up the road I'm afraid I did shout "Do red lights not apply to cyclists then, you are a complete idiot" !

    A prime example of how one completely brain dead idiot can get all cyclists a bad name.

    That said...the idiot on the bike is no worse than some of the idiots you get driving tractors & trailers around at this time of year !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •