Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the best loader tractor

whats the best loader tractor

Am pondering switching back to a tractor and loader instead of our aging jcb412, as I feel tractors and loaders have come a long way over the years. Have had a look at a JD 6930 with a loader on and was very impressed with little things like power shift buttons on the loader joystick. Also had a look at a Massey which again some nioce features. We do our own silage so it would need to buckrake for 10 days of the year, clearing about 70ac per day of light cuts. Any thoughts

Re: whats the best loader tractor

What ever you get get it with an MX loader on very strong and easy on off and I really like the hydraulic self levelling on them as opposed to the bars above the boom as on JD loaders. Ill put my tin hat on now as every on with a JD loader tractor says there loaders are the only ones to have ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
    What ever you get get it with an MX loader on very strong and easy on off and I really like the hydraulic self levelling on them as opposed to the bars above the boom as on JD loaders. Ill put my tin hat on now as every on with a JD loader tractor says there loaders are the only ones to have ...
    another vote for the mx loader - our claas has the equivalent of a t10 with the armrest mounted joystick - very light easy to use and has powershift buttons

Second hand trade would suggest that the jd loader is the one to have.

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Just done our second cut and I've been using our 6520se and jd 663 loader to buckrake. It pushed in 120 acres in a day with no hassle.

It replaced a telehandler and it much prefer the tractor loader for our needs.

I recommend a jd loader.

Quote Originally Posted by dai tractor View Post
    Just done our second cut and I've been using our 6520se and jd 663 loader to buckrake. It pushed in 120 acres in a day with no hassle.

It replaced a telehandler and it much prefer the tractor loader for our needs.

I recommend a jd loader.

What fork are you using to buckrake with ? What part of wales are you, I would love to see it in action?

Jd do hydraulic self levelling on there new range of loader 340/ 360 etc range ,I have one on 6930 very good loader

When i was looking at new tractor in 2007 asked the local secondhand dealer what difference in price between same tractor with deere or chilton loader? Nothing, have the cheapest or the one you like no affect on resale value, at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    When i was looking at new tractor in 2007 asked the local secondhand dealer what difference in price between same tractor with deere or chilton loader? Nothing, have the cheapest or the one you like no affect on resale value, at that time.
    Well he either dosent know what he is talking about or is fibbing.

If you can stretch to a tractor with vario it makes it so much more usable. We have a 6930 auto power and q76 loader. Goes well. 1600 hours so far, just over a year old. Interestingly I always think a loading shovel would be good for yard work - a jcb 411? (412 to expensive?) Are they better built than the telehandlers?

Dunno if the new JD ones are any better but mx ones crowd back muck further at ground level than some of the older jd type

I must admit i am not that experienced, just an observation.
    Our JD dealer sells Stoll next to JD. I have seen broken Mailleux/MX loaders and broken JD loaders, mostly with bushes cracked off and a few older JD loaders with twisted frames but the only problems I see with Stoll loaders are broken pins (have had those myself too). I like my Stoll loader but she is getting tired, especially the joystick with cabl controls.

Back to the first post, any simple electrician can wire in powershift buttons on any breed of tractor/loader.

I have a Massey 7475 with loader on great with the vario box and loader working off electric joystick in armrest just put it in pedal mode no need for power shifts, just like using a teleporter with better all round vision only down side is not got as much reach and a bigger turning circle.

Well he either dosent know what he is talking about or is fibbing.
    Given that he'd sell probably 3 tractors a week plus other "Kit", I'd think he does!! He is a dealer so don't know about the second part!

We run a NH T6030 with quicke Q50 loader, manages everything we do, feeding with 2cube root bucket, mucking out and will just reach into bulkers with grain, had a quicke450 before this one which ran on a 7740 then a ts110 and never had any issues. whatever you get make sure you have visio roof or your neck will ache!

Given that he'd sell probably 3 tractors a week plus other "Kit", I'd think he does!! He is a dealer so don't know about the second part!
    Aye, Dealers tell people what they want them to hear.

Choice of best loader tractor comes down to the usuall deciders, price, dealer and personal preference.

for best loader tractor, you want something with a small/short bonnet (like claas, valtra n series , a decent glass roof (jd was crap) and vario box, for loader i would always have a quicke because i have always got on well with them without problems, heard good things about mx but never realy used one. had a jd one on a 6930 and it was an awful loader to use, the powershift buttons that were only available on the cable stick didnt make up for the rest of it

Had a good look around in the royal welsh on tuesday and out of all the tractor and loader combinations I looked at I liked the Massey 5410 - its just a pity its so small! It did make me wonder whether we could manage with a smaller tractor though. When we are on silage doing our lightish organic grass there is a good 15mins between loads. I really liked the high vis bonnet and the loader control with all the tractors gearbox functions on. I suppose we could go bigger either 5480 or even a 7614.

Quote Originally Posted by boyo View Post
    Had a good look around in the royal welsh on tuesday and out of all the tractor and loader combinations I looked at I liked the Massey 5410 - its just a pity its so small! It did make me wonder whether we could manage with a smaller tractor though. When we are on silage doing our lightish organic grass there is a good 15mins between loads. I really liked the high vis bonnet and the loader control with all the tractors gearbox functions on. I suppose we could go bigger either 5480 or even a 7614.
    There's a whole lot of models between the 5410 and the 5480. You will be pushed to get either model from the factory now and they are probably only dealer stock, so if you want one, get your skates on.
    The Duck 2015

Weight is the key rather than size or power IMO. Unless you have lots of level concrete you can get a few brown trouser moments in some of the lighter tractor loader combinations. Some wide tyres and cast wheel weights will help.

A counterweight is all but essential for general loader work, to be used as necessary. That means one on the links, not wheel weights or water ballast when possible.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    There's a whole lot of models between the 5410 and the 5480. You will be pushed to get either model from the factory now and they are probably only dealer stock, so if you want one, get your skates on.
    Sorry, I ment the new little one, the 3 cyl. There were no 5455s left.

Sorry, I ment the new little one, the 3 cyl. There were no 5455s left.
    5610? 100hp? Only seen one up close so far. Lovely little thing with the visio glass roof with protection bars. Not yet convinced about the 3 cylinder 100hp but a three cylinder worked well in the 135 and I suppose that this range is the new 135. It will never be as popular as the 135 of course but in its own way it might be an even more impressive machine. Time will tell.
    The Duck 2015

Chap I cart silage for's grandson won the use of a 5610 and loader for 6 months at the Dairy Event. I was talking to him recently and it pulls like a train - apparently they were using it sideloading off a self propelled with a 12 ton trailer and it isn't the flattest farm. However they also find it light on the backend and have had the odd "brown trouser moment" with a heavy weight on the loader. Like the Duck says, it needs a counterweight.

Why would he lie??? hes nothing to gain by lying. hes got the sale. if anything hes likely to be telling the truth. someday he might have to trade the tractor back in. only reason he might have for telling a white lie is if he has one loader in stock and not the other. unlikely i think

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    A counterweight is all but essential for general loader work, to be used as necessary. That means one on the links, not wheel weights or water ballast when possible.
    Exactly because that wouldn't really be a counterweight, merely ballast.

Wheel weights/water on/in the back wheels would counter the tendency for the tractor tip forwards around the front axle though surely? So better than nothing.......?

Cheers

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytlr View Post
    Wheel weights/water on/in the back wheels would counter the tendency for the tractor tip forwards around the front axle though surely? So better than nothing.......?

Cheers

Jerry
    they help but dont compare to a proper weight on the back as it has the effect of trying to pivot the tractor round the rear axle instead of the front one so takes weight from the front axle and gives it an easier life, im sure the duck will understand what i mean and explain it clearer than me

Quote Originally Posted by agrotron150.7 View Post
    they help but dont compare to a proper weight on the back as it has the effect of trying to pivot the tractor round the rear axle instead of the front one so takes weight from the front axle and gives it an easier life, im sure the duck will understand what i mean and explain it clearer than me
    You are quite correct. Less weight has more effect and eases the load on the front axle. Both Quicke and MF recommend a counterweight, as do all other brands, both for safety and to reduce the load on the front axle. A good rule of thumb is to have a counterweight of about 2/3 of the mass raised as a maximum by the loader. Obviously this varies according to the overhang of the loader in front of the front axle, the weight of the loader boom, the front axle capacity, the weight of the tractor back end, the distance of the counterweight behind the back axle and the topography of the land or workspace. But as a general rule you will not go far wrong.
    The Duck 2015