Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lamb struck with maggots

Lamb struck with maggots

Hi ,whats the best way of cleaning a lamb of maggots when it has been struck , have put crovect on them , but still keep finding live ones, done all the sheep with click now

Re: Lamb struck with maggots

Quote Originally Posted by jackp View Post
    Hi ,whats the best way of cleaning a lamb of maggots when it has been struck , have put crovect on them , but still keep finding live ones, done all the sheep with click now
    I used to use a hand spray with Jeyes fluid mix for strike.

Quote Originally Posted by jackp View Post
    Crovect alone is fine but you need to apply directly to the area affected as the product will not move through the fleece. Apologies if you've already done this but you would also need to shear/clip the wool away from the affected area to ensure the Crovect reaches everything. It will look OK but about 30seconds after applying the product you'll see all the developing maggots 'coming out' of the skin. Never had any problems after that using Crovect

I always find using crovect for sstrike is dificult, I wonder if you could water it down so you can soak it like we used to with dip, always seem to end up using a LOT more than recommended
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

5ml of spot on.
    They will drop off before your eyes and it kills new ones for a week or two at least.

Shear it if they keep appearing, nothing there to lay eggs on then and you can see where they are too
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

We have had a couple with maggots after using crovect - think we are going to stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by swedehurler View Post
    I used to use a hand spray with Jeyes fluid mix for strike.

Does modern Jeyes do as good a job? Old Jeyes had OP's in it, which worked a treat - but they had to remove the 'special' ingredients, for obvious reasons.

Currently use Dysect on fly-strike. The little b@*&%úds die infront of your eyes when you stray them with it.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

If you've caught the lamb with maggots then I find Crovect does the job - just wear rubber gloves and rub it in on the infested area. Never had any maggots survive.
    I can't see how putting drain cleaner (Jayes fluid) on your livestock is a very good idea even if it does kill maggots.

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    If you've caught the lamb with maggots then I find Crovect does the job - just wear rubber gloves and rub it in on the infested area. Never had any maggots survive.
    I can't see how putting drain cleaner (Jayes fluid) on your livestock is a very good idea even if it does kill maggots.
    Jeyes is a dissinfectant...... and used to be OP based - so was no different from what 'herds dipped their ewes and lambs with every year. Them nasty OP's used to be very effective too! Just a shame about the long-last side-effects to your health

Is it still legal to slosh some dilute OP dip over them from a 5 gallon drum? Always used to work very well, but of course I wouldn't know if it still does.

Don't remove the wool from the strucken area. The raw skin will heal far quicker if it is covered in wool. and conversely will get worse if it is fully exposed.

A cheap and most effective treatment is to use very diluted dip in a garden hand spray. But for those of you who don't have any concentrated dip left, what about diluted crovect. But what would you dilute it with?

An old and very effective remedy was to spray the infected area with turpentine. Anyone who has used turps for cleaning paint brushes will know that it doesn't irritate skin.

Mixture of jets fluid and small amount of diesel works well, before anyone says it irritates or is dangerous for them then try it and see, always works and they never seem to itch or mind at all, and because of the diesel it stays on the wool for quite a while too.

Turps, diesel.... Hope no one smokes. That really will get rid of the maggots.

bslicker. you ever tried cleaning your brushes when you've got an open cut? It'll irritate then!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Is it still legal to slosh some dilute OP dip over them from a 5 gallon drum? Always used to work very well, but of course I wouldn't know if it still does.
    Would expect it is still legal to do this, anx i suspect it is the best way to treat fly strike...... but is it really work going and sitting a course to get your tickets so you can keep, handle and dispose of these dips when all you want is a bottle for the odd ewe or lamb? Better off going to general purpose store and getting jeyes, or white spirit or using some of the pour-ons known to kill maggotts IMO

I use Crovect direct on the maggots; they scarper off very quickly . In the past, have also used SpotOn diluted in water, and then soak the area, it worked if not diluted too much.
    Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    A cheap and most effective treatment is to use very diluted dip in a garden hand spray. But for those of you who don't have any concentrated dip left, what about diluted crovect. But what would you dilute it with?
    I'm bemused by this. Can ye not get dip over there anymore? I wouldn't even need to think about the question, bit of dip carefully measured to make the amount needed. Usually use a 2 litre plastic milk jug and work from the instructions on the mix rate. Soak the little bastards and enjoy watching them die!

Don't remove the wool from the strucken area. The raw skin will heal far quicker if it is covered in wool. and conversely will get worse if it is fully exposed.

An old and very effective remedy was to spray the infected area with turpentine. Anyone who has used turps for cleaning paint brushes will know that it doesn't irritate skin.
    Meant to say smear with maggot cream when exposed but then everyone would think to do that wouldn't they??? and not leave exposed, just common sense and good animal health and care.
    Beats me why everyone is coming up with things to kill maggots when there are plenty of products on sale that are actually made for the purpose, after all we are now living in 20013 not 1952 strueth!!!!
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalway View Post
    I'm bemused by this. Can ye not get dip over there anymore? I wouldn't even need to think about the question, bit of dip carefully measured to make the amount needed. Usually use a 2 litre plastic milk jug and work from the instructions on the mix rate. Soak the little bastards and enjoy watching them die!

OP dip is only available if you have the necessary training AND a licence to dispose of the used dip afterwards. It was the best and most effective way to deal with strike, now sloshing much more concentrated less effective chemicals around is supposed to be better for the environment.

Does no one use Maggot oil, gets rid of the maggots helps heal the skin

http://www.portalheritagesociety.org/gpage.html

If you buy some turps and don't actually need to use it to kill maggots, there are plenty of other uses for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheviot 53 View Post
    Does no one use Maggot oil, gets rid of the maggots helps heal the skin
    Maggot oil is next to useless at killing maggots nowadays - again the active ingredient is gone. We've had success out in the field mixing a dose of spot-on into some maggot oil. But as above, it would be a lot easier if only you'd got a drum of dip left over, or a neighbour who'd slip you a bit...

Best solution of all - and it's 5 years since I kept sheep before Defra come after me - was to have a big ex cattle lick tub in the corner of the sheep shed full of dip solution with an old drum mower saucer as a lid. Find a lamb with maggots and dunk his entire backend in the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    OP dip is only available if you have the necessary training AND a licence to dispose of the used dip afterwards. It was the best and most effective way to deal with strike, now sloshing much more concentrated less effective chemicals around is supposed to be better for the environment.
    Sad state of affairs that Badshot. I'd love to get what ever penpusher dreamt up that nonsense with a dose of maggots up his arse. I'd stroll by with my 2ltrs of dip, very sorry fella, apparently it'd be illegal to put an end to your misery, you'll just have to make the best of it.

Agree with not removing wool, baring it will allow the flies to attack, and agree about dip. We always use Archangel tar to cover areas
    using a scrap of cloth stuck on with the AT to keep flies away. People I respect use diesel, never myself so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Would expect it is still legal to do this, anx i suspect it is the best way to treat fly strike...... but is it really work going and sitting a course to get your tickets so you can keep, handle and dispose of these dips when all you want is a bottle for the odd ewe or lamb? Better off going to general purpose store and getting jeyes, or white spirit or using some of the pour-ons known to kill maggotts IMO
    Some of us was educated proper, and managed to get certified. Buggered if I know where that particular piece of paper is though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalway View Post
    Sad state of affairs that Badshot. I'd love to get what ever penpusher dreamt up that nonsense with a dose of maggots up his arse. I'd stroll by with my 2ltrs of dip, very sorry fella, apparently it'd be illegal to put an end to your misery, you'll just have to make the best of it.

It gets worse every year

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    [B]

Meant to say smear with maggot cream when exposed but then everyone would think to do that wouldn't they??? and not leave exposed, just common sense and good animal health and care.
    Beats me why everyone is coming up with things to kill maggots when there are plenty of products on sale that are actually made for the purpose, after all we are now living in 20013 not 1952 strueth!!!!
    Many products which prevent fly-strike do not kill maggots. Depending when a struck lamb/ewe is found - and how bad the maggot infestation is - it can be critical to use whatever you have in the shed. Ofcourse we should all keep a supply of pour-on or whatever in our medicine cabnet for these such instances - but thats rarely how these things work out. Always when you have none, you need it.
    Its much better animal welfare IMO to use a product which you have at hand and you know will do the job (diesel or Jeyes etc) and cause no further suffering to the animal, rather as let the poor bugger suffer whilst you go a 45min round trip to supplies store for a bottle - or worse wait till the morning when they are open! A litre of cherry or old Jeyes is a damn sight cheaper as many of these prducts also.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Some of us was educated proper, and managed to get certified. Buggered if I know where that particular piece of paper is though.
    never did thunk some does 'av ticket!!

Dad stopped dipping in the early 90's, so i never bothered to get licence. Dipper has been filled in and im fairly sure i wont use it again (unless govt decide we must to control scab again - but theres injections do just as good a job).

Whats the bet in a few more years we need a licence to apply all medicines and full PPE to use pour-ons though

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Whats the bet in a few more years we need a licence to apply all medicines and full PPE to use pour-ons though
    I wouldn't be at all surprised. Heptavac P+ is vet admin only in Holland now, pricing it out of use by most I'd have thought.

Surprised about the recommendation from several people to use diesel, the funnel I use to fill the scraper tractor always has flies stuck to it! Not blowflies mind you, little tiny ones

Covering the animals rear end with hand full of quicklime was a method used by our neighbour,this was sixty years ago,I wonder if it would work today,