Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whos sown spring barley???

whos sown spring barley???

who's sown spring barley and where abouts??

Re: whos sown spring barley???

I have, done half, half to go, drilled before the rain, chitted nicely. Some sun and warmth would be nice!!!!!!

Most of it in the ground. Got a few bits and pieces to finish off.

In north Oxfordshire- Drilled some spring barley and spring wheat 19th Feb on sandy land. Heavy clay land was probably only just about dry enough the end of last week and then it rained, so almost back to square one

we have some to get in, mid somerset, still in the bags at the moment and some beans, and peas... some ground has ploughed well, plenty time yet .. march can be "cruel.." as i look out the window here in grantham at the snow coming down..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Come on Vern, you have it a bit easier down in your part of Somerset, you come have a look at some of the land around Shepton or farther north!!

thats a fair point but if its "wet an Cold" it aint gonna grow.. some of our land is petherton sand, some hamstone brash and some horrible plasterscine stuff...
    have seen the clip of heavy land your welcome.. grows good wheat if you can het it in though..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Had some that would have gone last week, but looking at the forecast, decided to hold off a while. Having been out on frozen ground working some more this evening, I'm glad we did. Any planted early will surely be feed for the 'biblical plague' of slugs that will have over wintered from last year . This year, more than most, spring corn will need to be up & away quickly, won't it?......

IMO there is no panic to sow barley; conditions are paramount and should be the main concern. Okay it wants to be in sometime in March for optimum yield, but in my experience I would rather it went into a warm dusty seedbed than a cold wet tilth. Maybe others can prove me to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    IMO there is no panic to sow barley; conditions are paramount and should be the main concern. Okay it wants to be in sometime in March for optimum yield, but in my experience I would rather it went into a warm dusty seedbed than a cold wet tilth. Maybe others can prove me to be wrong.
    just under half drilled 100 odd acres last week ...into a lovely warm dusty seedbed .......not entirely sure that matters so much when followed by 4 inches of snow and -3 temperaturers though !

Broadcast 16 acres last week in dust, had too wait 4 days for fert. before final harrow finally cambridged rolled it yesterday amidst the snow flurries. It was busy chitting in a puffy seedbed, and the corvids were looking interested.

Got about 100 acres in the ground up to last weekend, just have one more 35 acre field left to get in, still 10 acres left to plough on there once its dried out. It should have been wheat that went on there behind the spuds but it resembled a battle field in November so got left and had only just dried out enough to get on by last Thursday after being cultivated in the frosts befoe Christmas.

25 acres went in well a week ago and cambridge rolled too. Perfect apart from this week temperatures. 70 acres ready to go but some porridge patches are keeping me patient for now. Another 30 acres had tines through it last September and still resembles a floating bog. Not so sure this area will be on this spring drilling list if this weather doesn't change soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltheox View Post
    Most of it in the ground. Got a few bits and pieces to finish off.
    How did your bit after sugarbeet go that you were worried about in the other thread? Looks nice up by the roundabout.
    Done all mine bar 6acres ploughed last Mon where water sat most of the winter. All drilled and rolled lovely weekend before last into ideal seedbeds. Glad it hadn't come up before this horrible weather or it would have turned round and gone back down!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat 10 View Post
    How did your bit after sugarbeet go that you were worried about in the other thread? Looks nice up by the roundabout.
    Done all mine bar 6acres ploughed last Mon where water sat most of the winter. All drilled and rolled lovely weekend before last into ideal seedbeds. Glad it hadn't come up before this horrible weather or it would have turned round and gone back down!

Hmmmmmmmmm........................who do i know who's got a flat ten???????????

The roundabout bit was somewhat easier apart from a wet hole in the middle, which i have managed to patch in this morning. My main concern was the beet field bordering the Cambridge Park and Ride site which was in a hell of a mess. I decided not to plough it, as i could not see a plough actually being able to fill in some of the ruts. After trying out a 'new' (to me) piece of equipmant, and not finding it suitable for my land, i reverted back to my Rau Polymag and went over the field at about 15 degrees, to try to fill in the ruts a bit, and still remain comfortable on the tractor.

Three days later i did it agin with the Polymag at the opposite 15 degree angle. Then after two days, i drilled it with the Power Harrow drill combi. To be honest, it looks far better than i have any right to expect it to look, and a lot of that is down to the PHD combi. The Polymag did a good job, however, and i was glad i had it! Proof of the pudding will be in the yield, but it has chitted!

Plenty going on/in in the last few weeks, some of it worryingly taking place whilst others were drilling winter wheat.. Also a lot of winter crops finally being rolled. Lovely bit of tilth about and ground seems to be ploughing up ok, but the soil is still bitter bitter cold, least it will make the slugs unhappy.

Hmmmmmmmmm........................who do i know who's got a flat ten???????????

The roundabout bit was somewhat easier apart from a wet hole in the middle, which i have managed to patch in this morning. My main concern was the beet field bordering the Cambridge Park and Ride site which was in a hell of a mess. I decided not to plough it, as i could not see a plough actually being able to fill in some of the ruts. After trying out a 'new' (to me) piece of equipmant, and not finding it suitable for my land, i reverted back to my Rau Polymag and went over the field at about 15 degrees, to try to fill in the ruts a bit, and still remain comfortable on the tractor.

Three days later i did it agin with the Polymag at the opposite 15 degree angle. Then after two days, i drilled it with the Power Harrow drill combi. To be honest, it looks far better than i have any right to expect it to look, and a lot of that is down to the PHD combi. The Polymag did a good job, however, and i was glad i had it! Proof of the pudding will be in the yield, but it has chitted!
    Glad you got it sorted, if the summer is kind you may be surprised how it yields. I have always thought that they look like half decent pieces of land! Thought I had worked out who you were the other day and couldn't resist playing silly b***ers. We tend to meet annually on the NRoSO courses at Spaldwick.

Has anyone got / going to be putting any Optic or Forensic spring barley in?

You may be aware but Optic brckles horribly and you end up cutting half the ears off which then lay on the ground. Very upsetting.

Anyone got any Orphelia gone in? Varietal list this year for just about everything is crammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat 10 View Post
    You may be aware but Optic brckles horribly and you end up cutting half the ears off which then lay on the ground. Very upsetting.
    Yes, very sad. A good variety, but that's why i stopped growing it. Growing all Concerto this year. Time will tell if i have made the correct decision. Is yours up yet. I reckon you could be near Swaffham Bulbeck?

Ours is still all in the bags. Doesn't look like any will be drilled this month. It's all White outside today.

Got some Tipple in the shed, only just got it ploughed last week when it had begun to dry up - we were worried about it baking !!!!

Yes, very sad. A good variety, but that's why i stopped growing it. Growing all Concerto this year. Time will tell if i have made the correct decision. Is yours up yet. I reckon you could be near Swaffham Bulbeck?
    Ours all Tipple drilled 27th/28th. None up yet and bloody crows eating it all but don't regret doing it as it went in so nice. Still have 6.5acres to drill which was ploughed on 3rd and never dried enough. Be a while now i think and an average forecast going forward. Reckon the other is best off still underground. Yes nr. Swaff. mine is the rape near the bit you did that has been decimated by pigeons! (mine that's been eaten!)

Quote Originally Posted by mark5335 View Post
    who's sown spring barley and where abouts??
    Not started yet. Will go now at the next opportunity up to the end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Same here Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Just got most ploughed but had to stop now need a good few dry days again now before we get the drill out .
    will go at least to the end of aprill

Got some drilled, chitted but wet and cold, not great. Other land will need till end of April to dry out at this rate, time is ticking along and yet the rain keeps falling and temps still low and due to be lower next week, at this rate we`ll end up with winter wheat seed sat in the shed with the same amount of SB seed sat next to it going into next year, things will be getting serious soon!!

Spring wheat is just starting to come through found a few today spring barley is not far off but may be better to keep its head down for a few more days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Noo View Post
    Got some drilled, chitted but wet and cold, not great. Other land will need till end of April to dry out at this rate, time is ticking along and yet the rain keeps falling and temps still low and due to be lower next week, at this rate we`ll end up with winter wheat seed sat in the shed with the same amount of SB seed sat next to it going into next year, things will be getting serious soon!!
    What % have you got cropped so far, it is desperate in our area. I planted some spring wheat but no barley yet, was all planted this time last year.