Thread: international 1055 project

international 1055 project

i decided to strip out the 1055 i bought to see what was wrong with the pto, the gearbox front casing has been eaten away where a bearing should be, i have located a new casting, and shaft from martin o hara in ireland , should be here early next week. thought i would strip the rest of the back end out to check the condition of the rest of it , and fit a new half shaft seal. all looks good, its even recently had a new clutch and flywheel, new hand brake band and hub which have never been set up correctly so aint been used!! i though i would share some photos for a bit of interest as i progress with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: international 1055 project

Now you've got the old girl this far, make sure you check the diff pinions. We chewed them out of the one we had. Made hell of mess. You'll get a good idea by the amount of crap in the bottom of the diff housing.

yeah, i was pig sick worried when i saw that collapsed bearing that she had been run low on oil, had one once before that had been run dry in the ass end cos the owner did not realise the tranny casing was seperate from hydraulic system, seazed the pinnion bearing and spun it in the casing then chewed up the diff. ended up breaking that one for parts. the diff and pinnion in mine are all good thank god. still waiting on my new front casing coming from ireland!! very slow!! good job i aint desperate for it. pto bearings were all loose so yesterday i replaced the tapered bearings and re shimmed them to make sure all is well.had a look at the brakes and they look about about half worn?? so they can stay for what its gonna do. got a turbo for her now so should have some serious grunt when all back together!!

did you manage to repair your diff or was all lost??

You've put the wheels on back to front!

Quote Originally Posted by Thick Farmer View Post
    You've put the wheels on back to front!

ha , now i no why it wont grip!!!

getting this thing back together now , been very busy with paying jobs so not had the time to get on much with this, but rolling chassis is nearly there
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi very impressed,do you know if I can get the tank off without removing the wiring and dash,bit nervous as had a fuel blockage and cleared it blowing it backwards with an airline,fixed it temporarily but want the tank off really.