Thread: lime question

lime question

now that I have the hay(almost)removed
    could I spread lime in this dry weather?
    also
    would it be prudent to divide the application as 3 t an acre is required
    should of been done in the spring
    but logistics would not allow
    grass will be (possibly) cut again
    or grazed in the winter with sheep
    tia

Re: lime question

Bump

I'm no expert but if you're not pushing it hard then I would get it all on in one go when you can. If ploughing the field then there may be a benefit in splitting the application either side of ploughing.

I'd split it over 2 years, and apply asap. Big doses will lock up some trace elements and release others that may cause problems in livestock. On our own, liming (and only at 2t last year) increased already high Molybdenum levels, locking up copper almost completely, and inducing some pretty severe deficiency problems.

Get it all on now while the ground is hard and dry

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    I'd split it over 2 years, and apply asap. Big doses will lock up some trace elements and release others that may cause problems in livestock. On our own, liming (and only at 2t last year) increased already high Molybdenum levels, locking up copper almost completely, and inducing some pretty severe deficiency problems.
    Agreed. I would not apply more than 2t/ac at any one time. Do 1-2t/ac now and the remainder next spring maybe. Would try to avoid letting stock in until we have had some rain, not toxic but lime can be irritating to nasal/throat passages so best to wait for it to be blown/washed off foliage.

+1 NeilO
    +1 Uwork4menow

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Agreed. I would not apply more than 2t/ac at any one time. Do 1-2t/ac now and the remainder next spring maybe. Would try to avoid letting stock in until we have had some rain, not toxic but lime can be irritating to nasal/throat passages so best to wait for it to be blown/washed off foliage.
    It never irritated my nasel/throat passages all the time i was speading it they could eat the stuff and it wouldnt hurt them unless your talking about burnt lime that is, split the application would be best though i have spread loads at 3 ton to the acre

Quote Originally Posted by Henarar View Post
    It never irritated my nasel/throat passages all the time i was speading it they could eat the stuff and it wouldnt hurt them unless your talking about burnt lime that is, split the application would be best though i have spread loads at 3 ton to the acre
    +1 I grazed soon after applying lime last year, with just a light shower to get it off the leaves in some fields. Isn't limestone flour added to feed as a rumen acidity buffer?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    +1 I grazed soon after applying lime last year, with just a light shower to get it off the leaves in some fields. Isn't limestone flour added to feed as a rumen acidity buffer?
    Yes it is.
    Beat me to it!

Good advice so far.

Just get it on in one or two splits this year and the winter rain will take it in and be there ready for the spring.

We applied 9t/ha in March,cattle on ground 2 weeks later,grass improved dramatically but we did have normal west coast rain for a week after spreading.

We just use the granulated lime and sow it in the fertilizer sower. Less mess and you don't need to pray for rain to wash it in quickly before half of it is blown away. Sowed it today on ground we just ploughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    We just use the granulated lime and sow it in the fertilizer sower. Less mess and you don't need to pray for rain to wash it in quickly before half of it is blown away. Sowed it today on ground we just ploughed.
    Yes but its not as good as the real thing .

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Yes but its not as good as the real thing .
    It is as good as it's the same stuff, it's just 4x the cost.

Is it possible to spread ground limestone with a fertilizer spinner i mean an old one a vicon 802

Quote Originally Posted by renoir9 View Post
    We applied 9t/ha in March,cattle on ground 2 weeks later,grass improved dramatically but we did have normal west coast rain for a week after spreading.
    Applications that hefty are not recommended, I would split it and do half autumn half spring. You can cause some interesting trace element lockups applying so much calcium in one go.

I would not use granulated lime, ever. Far too expensive for what it is.

I would not put stock in immediately after liming, lime dust is not nice to your eyes or throat, better to let them in after some rain.