Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: lime question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    202

    lime question

    now that I have the hay(almost)removed
    could I spread lime in this dry weather?
    also
    would it be prudent to divide the application as 3 t an acre is required
    should of been done in the spring
    but logistics would not allow
    grass will be (possibly) cut again
    or grazed in the winter with sheep
    tia

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    202

    Re: lime question

    Bump

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    172

    Re: lime question

    I'm no expert but if you're not pushing it hard then I would get it all on in one go when you can. If ploughing the field then there may be a benefit in splitting the application either side of ploughing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: lime question

    I'd split it over 2 years, and apply asap. Big doses will lock up some trace elements and release others that may cause problems in livestock. On our own, liming (and only at 2t last year) increased already high Molybdenum levels, locking up copper almost completely, and inducing some pretty severe deficiency problems.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    584

    Re: lime question

    Get it all on now while the ground is hard and dry

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    I'd split it over 2 years, and apply asap. Big doses will lock up some trace elements and release others that may cause problems in livestock. On our own, liming (and only at 2t last year) increased already high Molybdenum levels, locking up copper almost completely, and inducing some pretty severe deficiency problems.
    Agreed. I would not apply more than 2t/ac at any one time. Do 1-2t/ac now and the remainder next spring maybe. Would try to avoid letting stock in until we have had some rain, not toxic but lime can be irritating to nasal/throat passages so best to wait for it to be blown/washed off foliage.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Westisbest
    Posts
    76

    Re: lime question

    +1 NeilO
    +1 Uwork4menow

  8. #8
    Senior Member Henarar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    zumerzet
    Posts
    341

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Agreed. I would not apply more than 2t/ac at any one time. Do 1-2t/ac now and the remainder next spring maybe. Would try to avoid letting stock in until we have had some rain, not toxic but lime can be irritating to nasal/throat passages so best to wait for it to be blown/washed off foliage.
    It never irritated my nasel/throat passages all the time i was speading it they could eat the stuff and it wouldnt hurt them unless your talking about burnt lime that is, split the application would be best though i have spread loads at 3 ton to the acre

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by Henarar View Post
    It never irritated my nasel/throat passages all the time i was speading it they could eat the stuff and it wouldnt hurt them unless your talking about burnt lime that is, split the application would be best though i have spread loads at 3 ton to the acre
    +1 I grazed soon after applying lime last year, with just a light shower to get it off the leaves in some fields. Isn't limestone flour added to feed as a rumen acidity buffer?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    +1 I grazed soon after applying lime last year, with just a light shower to get it off the leaves in some fields. Isn't limestone flour added to feed as a rumen acidity buffer?
    Yes it is.
    Beat me to it!

  11. #11

    Re: lime question

    Good advice so far.

    Just get it on in one or two splits this year and the winter rain will take it in and be there ready for the spring.

  12. #12

    Re: lime question

    We applied 9t/ha in March,cattle on ground 2 weeks later,grass improved dramatically but we did have normal west coast rain for a week after spreading.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    101

    Re: lime question

    We just use the granulated lime and sow it in the fertilizer sower. Less mess and you don't need to pray for rain to wash it in quickly before half of it is blown away. Sowed it today on ground we just ploughed.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    584

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    We just use the granulated lime and sow it in the fertilizer sower. Less mess and you don't need to pray for rain to wash it in quickly before half of it is blown away. Sowed it today on ground we just ploughed.
    Yes but its not as good as the real thing .

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Yes but its not as good as the real thing .
    It is as good as it's the same stuff, it's just 4x the cost.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    17

    Re: lime question

    Is it possible to spread ground limestone with a fertilizer spinner i mean an old one a vicon 802

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: lime question

    Quote Originally Posted by renoir9 View Post
    We applied 9t/ha in March,cattle on ground 2 weeks later,grass improved dramatically but we did have normal west coast rain for a week after spreading.
    Applications that hefty are not recommended, I would split it and do half autumn half spring. You can cause some interesting trace element lockups applying so much calcium in one go.

    I would not use granulated lime, ever. Far too expensive for what it is.

    I would not put stock in immediately after liming, lime dust is not nice to your eyes or throat, better to let them in after some rain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •