Thread: Weight of round bales.

Weight of round bales.

Decided to weigh a couple of 5ft round bales of hay today to get an idea as to price. Quite surprised to find they weighed over 370kg which equates to about 15.5 of my conventional bales of the same hay for which I charge 4. Now realise why my round bales were so popular at 35 each.
    Anybody else weighed their hay bales?
    Last edited by Shooting Mad; 20-07-13 at 09:40 AM.

Re: Weight of round bales.

Weighed mine a while back, 4x5 john deere 550, came out at 900#.

Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    Weighed mine a while back, 4x5 john deere 550, came out at 900#.
    Is that lbs,..........(900 divide by 2.2 =409kgs)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Mad View Post
    Decided to weigh a couple of 5ft round bales of hay today to get an idea as to price. Quite surprised to find they weighed over 370kg which equates to about 15.5 of my conventional bales of the same hay for which I charge 4. Now realise why my round bales were so popular at 35 each.
    Anybody else weighed their hay bales?
    What baler and how much pressure on, I have baled hay tighter this year as much fitter when baling, but other years 5ft loose baled has been 3-320kg when my weigher was working.

Quote Originally Posted by le bon paysan View Post
    Is that lbs,..........(900 divide by 2.2 =409kgs)
    Correct.

About 360kg for a 5'6'' (give or take) reasonably firm from a JD 550

[QUOTE=charlieboy;181421]What baler and how much pressure on, I have baled hay tighter this year as much fitter when baling, but other years 5ft loose baled has been 3-320kg when my weigher was working.[/QUO

Krone Vario Pack 1500. Reasonably tight but certainly not max. The problem is the people who buy them don't really consider weight whether it be conventional bales or round bales. To most of them a bale is a bale. I can make conventional bales that weigh 30kg but they'd still want to buy them at the same price as somebody else's bales that weigh only 15 kg. But I'm certainly not selling 7.5 cwt of hay this year for 35!!!!!!

I know what you mean, for sale purposes its best to do 4ft puff balls really, least thats what the pros seem to do round here with the roller balers and charge say 20. For years I was charging 20 for 5ft baled tight for my own use, don't know why I bothered selling it, then they just moan they cant handle it.

Yes I do 4ft ones as well, they run out at about 210 kg and sell for 25 which is a far better proposition. Think I'll give the 5ft ones a miss next year unless they're prepared to pay at least 50 for them.

Some have been charging 50 for a big round nearby for a year or two, think there is too much hay about this year to be too demanding maybe, also for some buyers 50 must look a lot to lay out however much weight is in it, even though with the weights quoted the smaller ones work out as better value. Have the same thing with spuds people goto Asda and buy a little bag for a quid even though it is poor value as they dont have to lay out say 7.50 for a 25kg bag.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Some have been charging 50 for a big round nearby for a year or two, think there is too much hay about this year to be too demanding maybe, also for some buyers 50 must look a lot to lay out however much weight is in it, even though with the weights quoted the smaller ones work out as better value. Have the same thing with spuds people goto Asda and buy a little bag for a quid even though it is poor value as they dont have to lay out say 7.50 for a 25kg bag.
    Hit 16-17 from local green grocer around here April/May. Still good value in terms of food.

Round bale wise a 5ft bale of a given density is around 56% more in volume than a 4ft. So if someone is happy at 25 for a 4ft this would equate to about 40 for a 5ft. I guess a 5ft is more economical to produce and shift.

You are mathmatically correct Pete in yourclaim that 5ft rounds are 56% bigger by volume but by weight I think they are nearer 80% heavier. Larger proportion of dense outer matter to loose, light centre.

[QUOTE=essexpete;181622]Hit 16-17 from local green grocer around here April/May. Still good value in terms of food.

better to buy a bag of seed and grow your own even in buckets if you dont have a garden

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Hit 16-17 from local green grocer around here April/May. Still good value in terms of food.
    This year was a one off and I was talking ex farm prices, for regulars I am content to take an average and would never chase peaks, have never received more than 10/bag. Same with 50/bale hay, but maybe I'm stupid. This week new are 6/bag here so hardly worth the effort, but hopefully I can charge a little more as I looked after people last year.

Has anybody weighed a 6ft, I always seem to end up just over 5ft and usually work on the weight is double a 4ft.

[QUOTE=Bobthebuilder;182565]
    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post

better to buy a bag of seed and grow your own even in buckets if you dont have a garden
    We do s8d about with a bit of veg but pots have never been that successful, either eaten by something or blight. This year we have had a few really nice ones from volunteers that grew well and no trace of blight or disease.

Weather related, you cant expect to grow them without blight spray really if just to protect nearby crops.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Mad View Post
    Yes I do 4ft ones as well, they run out at about 210 kg and sell for 25 which is a far better proposition. Think I'll give the 5ft ones a miss next year unless they're prepared to pay at least 50 for them.

Hey everybody, interesting thread and couldnt help weigh our 4ft bales from a gallignani baler: lowest compression = 200kg, highest compression was 250kg