Thread: Three signal

Three signal

I know there has been some discussion about phone signal on a couple of threads about phones but I am looking for some info. I have finally got round to getting a PAC code from Orange. They wouldn't move on price over their standard rates despite me having 3 phones with them for many years, so time to move. Best deal I could get was from Three. The only thing I am worried about is that their coverage maps seem to be the worst of the lot. Anyone out there got real world experience of their system? would rather have at least semi decent signal than cheapest deal.

Re: Three signal

Down here in Kent I find 3 excellent. Whatever you do don't get a phone company with no signal where you need it most. If you do try them I'd go into the shop, not over the phone as that'll be someone in India who couldn't give a toss, and make it clear that if there is rubbish reception then you will cancel the contract and return the phone with NO penalties, and get that in writing.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Went in to shop today, have taken out a one month sim to try it out. Coverage maps look like signal is ok round main population centres but poor further out. Most of the time I am within 20 miles of Edinburgh but do get further afield sometimes. If Three signal isn't for me will end up going with Vodafone or possibly stick with Orange. I have put 3 other phones with Three contracts as they will be used nearer home, whatever I do I will be taking out short term sim only for a while.

I've been with three since March last year and found it to be really good. I started out with a PAYG sim for a month, have found areas in populated areas that three works where my works O2 mobile doesn't.

They mast share with T-Mobile and Orange (EE) as they are all partners in a company called MBNL, plus they have an additional 4000 masts that are "three only". Three also has a 2g fallback that uses EE's network where the 3g signal is a bit pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Went in to shop today, have taken out a one month sim to try it out. Coverage maps look like signal is ok round main population centres but poor further out. Most of the time I am within 20 miles of Edinburgh but do get further afield sometimes. If Three signal isn't for me will end up going with Vodafone or possibly stick with Orange. I have put 3 other phones with Three contracts as they will be used nearer home, whatever I do I will be taking out short term sim only for a while.

You have it sorted then, as I say I find it excellent and the cost is OK too, I'm on the one plan so 2000 minutes, plus unlimited 3 to 3 minutes, and 5000 texts and unlimited data for 26/month with a sony experia T phone thrown in. Can't get close to that with others.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    I'm on the one plan so 2000 minutes, plus unlimited 3 to 3 minutes, and 5000 texts and unlimited data for 26/month with a sony experia T phone thrown in.
    I just upgraded my SIM only contract from 600 mins AYCE data and 3000 texts for 15/month to the One Plan 2000 mins, 5000 3to3 mins, 5000 texts and AYCE data with tethering for the same cost - 15/month

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post
    I've been with three since March last year and found it to be really good. I started out with a PAYG sim for a month, have found areas in populated areas that three works where my works O2 mobile doesn't.

They mast share with T-Mobile and Orange (EE) as they are all partners in a company called MBNL, plus they have an additional 4000 masts that are "three only". Three also has a 2g fallback that uses EE's network where the 3g signal is a bit pants.
    Thought you were promoting giff gaff!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Thought you were promoting giff gaff!?
    That was ages ago when I was still with O2, which are the backbone of giffgaff, but sadly since trying with a three sim I realised I can use my iPhone much more than I could with O2. There is little 3g signal on O2 up here, maybe you get it in the middle of towns on 3g, but the majority is 2g. To use a smartphone to its full potential you NEED a 3g as a minimum.

Three PAYG is now 3p a min for calls and 2p for texts, and 1p per Mb of data... 10 gets you 333 minutes rather than 100 minutes with giffgaff, or a measly 40 minutes with O2/Voda/EE on PAYG.

I just use a 3 payg sim in I pad and carry it seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I just use a 3 payg sim in I pad and carry it seperately.
    I was intending to get a 3g iPad mini but 3 have just brought down the cost of the One Plan which includes internet tethering to the same cost that I was paying them for my phone Sim only deal, so I popped into a 3 shop and 15 minutes later it was upgraded. I then went out and bought a iPad mini wifi only and now when i'm out and about I start tethering up on my iPhone and get internet on the iPad too for no extra money. In fact its saved me 400 over the 2 year contract the iPad mini would have cost me.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post

Three PAYG is now 3p a min for calls and 2p for texts, and 1p per Mb of data... 10 gets you 333 minutes rather than 100 minutes with giffgaff, or a measly 40 minutes with O2/Voda/EE on PAYG.
    That currently knocks all the others into a cocked hat.
    Just ordered a PAYG sim, as a very occasional data user it is annoying to be charged (e.g.) 1 for 100MB in a day but you only wanted to quickly check emails while out.
    Also so far as I can tell it isn't one of those where it's PAYG but top-ups expire after a month so you may as well pay monthly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    That currently knocks all the others into a cocked hat.
    Just ordered a PAYG sim, as a very occasional data user it is annoying to be charged (e.g.) 1 for 100MB in a day but you only wanted to quickly check emails while out.
    Also so far as I can tell it isn't one of those where it's PAYG but top-ups expire after a month so you may as well pay monthly anyway.
    The credit stays on till its been used up

Not a good start with Three. We have attempted to transfer 2 of our numbers over. One has failed and the other has been transferred onto some random PAYG At least with the failed one both numbers are active the other one our old number is "missing in action" hopefully the search and rescue mission will bring the number back to it's loving family

Did you use the online form to port your numbers over?

Yes. Thought it less likely to be a mistake if I typed in the numbers than try to get some unsuspecting operative in India or wherever to understand my accent. Wrong again, numbers should port over on Friday.

Luckily the numbers aren't too critical and should be sorted out anyway. It's just about tempting me to stay with Orange with my own number as it would not be good if I loose my number as so many people have it....................... on second thoughts

I'm about to port over both my parents PAYG numbers from O2 to 3 on the 8th August so I hope it goes as well as mine did last year with them.

Just about to try to port over my other sons number, I'll let you know how it goes. We're playing musical phones just now trying to get the right numbers on the right SIM in the right phone.

The 3 sim came today and I put it in but won't know how signal is until away from home tomorrow.
    It appears to have set up the APN on its own?

I remember having to do that manually with Virgin, and worse I rang the (free) helpline because I didn't know what was wrong (it was set to orange APNs).
    The lady in India was very nice of course, but did not have a clue why it would not connect even though I explained it had been used on another network.
    You would've thought that checking APNs would be quite high on the list of possible solutions

Once again I will point out that the 3-2-1 PAYG on three is an astonishingly good deal (I wonder how long it can last TBH)
    http://blog.three.co.uk/2013/07/01/g...u-go-on-three/

When I went into the 3 shop at the start of the month to upgrade my sim only contract, the lad in there said the 321 deal was likely to stay to attract new PAYG customers, it seems to be working, if everyone tops up with 10 then it will be worth it for them to do this.

Remember 3 signal used to be pants a few years ago, until they entered the MBNL deal with EE (then just Orange). Orange got a much better 3g signal coverage, 3 got 3g coverage in areas where they were patchy and also a 2g fallback service using Orange. They both then saved money by decommissioning where they both had masts on the same sites.

Trouble is people still think 3 is pants because of a few years ago, they have to cut prices to attract customers in order to make better brand awareness.

Don't forget 3 are rolling out their 4g LTE network in the Autumn and unlike EE's extortionate prices for mobile internet, 3's 4g LTE prices will be the same as the 3g prices.

Just a quick update. 1st two numbers got sorted out ok, 3rd one ported over with no problems and I am fed up carrying two phones and checking them both for signal. As far as I can see over the last week signal has been very similar so I have decided to shift my number over to Three as well. I will leave it on a rolling monthly contract till I see how the signal really is, if ok I will lock into sim only 12 month ayce if not it now looks like Virgin 15/month unlimited calls, texts and data.

My elder son who knows about these things (or so he tells me) reckons that Three will be better for data as they are going to what is effectively 4g but not increasing their price. Virgin are remaining on 3g. Only time will tell so I am not going to tie myself into any 24 month deals.

Having tried Three the last few days it is clear that you can't actually use data when it falls back to Orange/Tmobile/EE masts.
    Locally this is pretty much all the time if any signal is there at all so not as impressed as I hoped with the 321.
    However the rates for talk and text are still very good.
    Finding out why no data would work took a bit of research and I expect if you needed to do it by the helpline you would be on it for hours.

An irritation is that on their website if you want to register a credit card to top up it is unable to verify your address if it does not include a streetname!
    I could hardly believe it. You can find address by entering postcode then >find< - this fills it in wrongly - or you can enter it manually as it should be but then it won't show the >done< button until you click the >find address< - which immediately overwrites with wrong address again!
    Incredible since there are surely a great many customers with no streetname other than farms.

Anyway I bought a 10 voucher but given above problem with no data except on Three mast it will last a very long time.

Number ported over no problem and at least round home signal is better than Orange.

BUT just a hint for any of you thinking of changing. Make sure you download any invoices you need before you move your number. My number was moved at 5pm yesterday and I could not get into my account at 10am this morning as I was no longer a customer. They will send me copies at 3.50 each - I think not. Luckily there are only 2 I don't have so I will forgo the VAT on them and mark it up to experience.

Ported both of my folks numbers over no problems yesterday to 3, both ported within minutes of each other, dad used 21p worth of calls today which before would have cost him 1.75.