Thread: Fuel theft CCTV image

Fuel theft CCTV image

Not a bad picture if someone knew them could be enough.

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/commu...ects-1-5873935

Re: Fuel theft CCTV image

Don't know who they are but I bet they live in a caravan.
    Hope someone recognises them and they get banged up soon.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

bit out of date isnt it ??

I suppose the police only just decided to release it after exploring other options, or possibly the date is wrongly set.
    The story says 2013.

if you're going to install CCTV get decent quality cameras!! that's not enough for a court!

and don't forget the sign warning them........believe it or not I don't think the footage is legal without one

Heard about a farmer who couldn't understand why so much diesel was being used on an out farm..... set up a camera and caught his long term employee stealing.........thought he had him bang to rights but the employee got a solicitor and turned the whole thing on its head just because there was no warning sign!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Knight View Post
    and don't forget the sign warning them........believe it or not I don't think the footage is legal without one
    Just checked this with N Wales Police and they say "As long as the cameras are recording on your property there is no requirement for signage."

Of course law may be different in Scotland; you're such an egalitarian lot up there!

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyToo View Post
    Just checked this with N Wales Police and they say "As long as the cameras are recording on your property there is no requirement for signage."

Of course law may be different in Scotland; you're such an egalitarian lot up there!
    I personally would not give a monkees if I was breaking some law in the pursuit of someone thieving off me, in this day and age best to deal with problems your self, as authorities are a waste of space !

Just repeating what a very reliable source in the fuel industry told me...........Im not saying I agree with it but Im certain in this case it was true........... maybe because he was filming an employee.............human rights and all that......data protection??

Seems things are a bit more complex for us farmers (business premises) than just a domestic house.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/18/06/...ed-to-know.htm

"The farmer should also ensure that he has complied with the rules of the DPA such as placing signs in the areas of use to ensure that no objections can be made to the footage that has been recorded."

Just repeating what a very reliable source in the fuel industry told me...........Im not saying I agree with it but Im certain in this case it was true........... maybe because he was filming an employee.............human rights and all that......data protection??

Seems things are a bit more complex for us farmers (business premises) than just a domestic house.

"The farmer should also ensure that he has complied with the rules of the DPA such as placing signs in the areas of use to ensure that no objections can be made to the footage that has been recorded."
    That is a load of cobblers. It is legal to take images of anyone anywhere unless on private land that explicitly prohibits it. They might argue that it invades someone's privacy but you only have to look at footage of Royalty over the years to recognise that basically anything goes. The only reason photographers have moderated their behaviour recently with royalty, but not consistently, is that there was a public backlash and the Royals themselves have co-operated more with presenting themselves to be photographed.
    I certainly have not consented to be recorded by CCTV but I am probably recorded by both public and private CCTV every other day somewhere. There are generally no signs that warn me of this.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    That is a load of cobblers. It is legal to take images of anyone anywhere unless on private land that explicitly prohibits it. They might argue that it invades someone's privacy but you only have to look at footage of Royalty over the years to recognise that basically anything goes. The only reason photographers have moderated their behaviour recently with royalty, but not consistently, is that there was a public backlash and the Royals themselves have co-operated more with presenting themselves to be photographed.
    I certainly have not consented to be recorded by CCTV but I am probably recorded by both public and private CCTV every other day somewhere. There are generally no signs that warn me of this.

Talk about "shooting the messenger"

My story is correct and I would like to think a barrister knows a bit about the law...........best you contact the firm as they must be in need of your legal brain..............you have a law degree and are in practice I take it

While your at it maybe you should pull up FW for putting out faulty advice.

I have no idea why you have not seen other signs in public I have seen plenty, do ducks have good eyesight

Our cctv installers insisted on putting up sings or the footage would not stand up in court

There have been several court cases, one I know about very well, where covert recording has been used to obtain a conviction. Warning signs are totally unnecessary in England and Wales, except they can add extra deterrence.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron150 View Post
    Our cctv installers insisted on putting up sings or the footage would not stand up in court
    If that were correct, it raises the questions of how many signs, how big, how near, how many languages etc...

How about putting the camera in a big yellow box?

A sign is not mandatory on private land at all - in law.

Also I have used a telephone recording taken without the other persons knowledge in the High Court in London as long ago as 1991. Case related to two 360 machines being stolen and the person who took them telephoned to demand money for their return from me and my partner.

At that time their were only 3 transporters that could carry two 22 Tonne machines at once in this country but three months later the Police had done nothing. Eventually employed an ex copper via our Solicitor - found machines within 4days!