Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The pain of small bales - any answers?

Re: The pain of small bales - any answers?

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    I thought they were a good idea. Two problems though - its way over a hundre K baler and the segments are still too large for being handy. I was talking to them at LAMMA and they suggest you can move them with a sack barrow - but lots of the jobs where conv bales go are not really sack barrow situations
    Bought 2 of them (bales) several years ago when we only had a couple horses. Our barn is not machinery friendly and I tyhought the 5 smaller packs would be the ticket..... All good and pretty til I started to try storing them 150 +/- a few pound bundles... That was the inspiration to modify a couple permanent feeding arrangements and buy portable bale rings for the pastures....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

You can say that vern, but to justify a 40+K bale sledge, you have to be using it a lot (like Mr Channer), or else for most poeple, even doing 15- 20,000 little bales like we do, the figures just arnt going to stack up.
    Its bad enough having a combine sitting in the shed idle for 48 weeks/year - but you sort of NEED one of them.

We just use flat 8 sledgfe, grab on a telly (much better than tractor loader) sometimes a trailed 56 bale transporter thingy and a number of old 40 ft trailers. Building is 60 ft wide so can stack by far the most of them in the building with the flat eight. Biggest shame of the 56 squeezy thing, is when you pick them up, move them to the building, then put them down again, they sort of spread quite a bit, which makes re picking them up with the flat 8 awkward
    aye that's a very fair comment didn't for one moment think they where cheap, , again ok if you have the shed(s) and trailers to move them,, was thinking more about the contractor (like Mr Channer ) who would be doing a lot, plus when you deliver them is how many packs?? dump em off away you go.??

15,000-20,000 bales is a fair few... at least you aint got to stack em and load with a bale slave...
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    http://www.cherryproducts.co.uk/uploads/files/177.pdf

Pick up the pack from a trailed/mounted bale squeeze and stack it in one go?
    why not just look out at farm sale for a 40/48 bale carrier like a ritchie take the squeezer bit off the rest of it and fit forklift brackets, then you can stack 40/48 at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    aye that's a very fair comment didn't for one moment think they where cheap, , again ok if you have the shed(s) and trailers to move them,, was thinking more about the contractor (like Mr Channer ) who would be doing a lot, plus when you deliver them is how many packs?? dump em off away you go.??

15,000-20,000 bales is a fair few... at least you aint got to stack em and load with a bale slave...

Oh, I did my share of big bale numbers with a pery loader on a 990.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    why not just look out at farm sale for a 40/48 bale carrier like a ritchie take the squeezer bit off the rest of it and fit forklift brackets, then you can stack 40/48 at a time

I have thought of this sometimes but they squeeze like a giant pery loader so you would have to leave big gaps between the stacks - then how would you stack any more on top?

must admit - last year resorted to buying an old quadrant and an pleased to be looking at smaller numbers of conv this year

I have thought of this sometimes but they squeeze like a giant pery loader so you would have to leave big gaps between the stacks - then how would you stack any more on top?
    My thoughts exactly. The Cherry grab looks as if it would let you put the packs much closer together, albeit at a price. Anyway, we have finally converted my grass keep chap to the idea of Mini-Hesstons this year so hopefully large quantities of small bales are a thing of the past here.

Hay needs a day longer in packs and the bale baron is build for midgets , he was drunk when he got his tape out

RE pain of small bales....

came home last night to find the wife has bought a trailer load of hay, well i say a trailer load, i had to take trailer to seller, load trailer, i say pay i then had to pay seller, then had to fetch em home and stack in hay shed next to stable... i say stack after i had cleaned out all the crap, old string, ripped rugs, various bits of knackered fence post etc etc, put in some new pallets and fixed hole in roof.... just getting finnished about fourish,, the "wife" turns up and says" i was going to lend a hand/....."

still at 2.00 a bale i thought it was a good enough deal.. nice looking hay as well, wieghty, 150 in the shed, more than enough for the nag and his new sheep mates..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    RE pain of small bales....

came home last night to find the wife has bought a trailer load of hay, well i say a trailer load, i had to take trailer to seller, load trailer, i say pay i then had to pay seller, then had to fetch em home and stack in hay shed next to stable... i say stack after i had cleaned out all the crap, old string, ripped rugs, various bits of knackered fence post etc etc, put in some new pallets and fixed hole in roof.... just getting finnished about fourish,, the "wife" turns up and says" i was going to lend a hand/....."

still at 2.00 a bale i thought it was a good enough deal.. nice looking hay as well, wieghty, 150 in the shed, more than enough for the nag and his new sheep mates..
    great story...love it ....i suspect you are far from alone .......good news is at 2/bale its a steal......bad news is if your other half is typical horsey type...she'll inform you in Oct that she's going to feed hayledge and 'can you just empty that shed ?'