Thread: I.C.E and 112

I.C.E and 112

Her indoors has been on a First Aid course today and one of the things that was discussed, was putting the phone number in your mobile phone of the person that you want contacted 'Incase of Emmergency' (ICE).

It appeared half the people on the course hadn't heard of this.

So just a reminder to any one that hasn't done this so far, put their next of kin under 'Ice' on your phone. (Apparently the emergency services can access this number even if you have a pin code lock on your phone.)

Also if you come across an accident and you don't have a clue where you are, ringing 112 instead of 999 will pin point you to within 10 meters.

Service announcement over!

Re: I.C.E and 112

A good tip, Wooly, and one i did several years ago. My brothers number is under the ICE entry on my mobile.

A good tip that! I have ICE, ICE 2 and ICE 3 saved in mine just in case one number is busy at the time.

Never knew about the 112 thing. Assumed it did the same as 999.

I was told the other day by the emergency services that dialling 101 gets you to the local Police force no matter wherever you are in the country.

112 and 999 will get you to exactly the same service with the same ability for location,as it comes from your phone.
    dialling either of these numbers should utilise any phone provider, if you have no signal from your own.

trust me, ringing 101 will get you nowhere in an emergency, passing you to a civilian operator,who may feel your situation, may, warrant passing to a proper policeman. They are paid on results, ie putting you on hold and finally to dead end numbers.
    101is good for venting your frustration.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
    Her indoors has been on a First Aid course today and one of the things that was discussed, was putting the phone number in your mobile phone of the person that you want contacted 'Incase of Emmergency' (ICE).

It appeared half the people on the course hadn't heard of this.

So just a reminder to any one that hasn't done this so far, put their next of kin under 'Ice' on your phone. (Apparently the emergency services can access this number even if you have a pin code lock on your phone.)

Also if you come across an accident and you don't have a clue where you are, ringing 112 instead of 999 will pin point you to within 10 meters.

Service announcement over!
    Will that be the case if you've got an ordinary mobile without GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    112 and 999 will get you to exactly the same service with the same ability for location,as it comes from your phone.
    dialling either of these numbers should utilise any phone provider, if you have no signal from your own.

trust me, ringing 101 will get you nowhere in an emergency, passing you to a civilian operator,who may feel your situation, may, warrant passing to a proper policeman. They are paid on results, ie putting you on hold and finally to dead end numbers.
    101is good for venting your frustration.
    Ringing 101 in staffordshire gets you put through to the non emergency switchboard of the police control room. I rang it last week after some muppet nearly ploughed into the cows when i was moving them up the road, and having failed to run me down then wanted to fight me for good measure. TBF, they did get a policeman to call me back within minutes, and they did do something, though it was just to go round and see the guy and 'advise' him on his driving, though apparently he makes a habit of road rage type incidents, so they've put some sort of order on his car that means it will get crushed if he commits any further minor motoring offences, which is better than nothing.