Thread: Samsung

Samsung

Bit fed up with Samsung just now . Took advantage of the promotional offer of a Galaxy 10" tab 2 after buying a Galaxy smartphone . Duly fulfilled all the requirements for this , accepting that the tablet was "In stock" , paid up , and waited --- and waited . Tracking says order being processed , said that on 5th Feb , still says same . Thought they might have been quicker off the mark with the big sales push that they have on at the moment . e mailed Expansys who are running the offer , but no reply . Poor show I think .

Re: Samsung

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note in Jan and it is a decent bit of kit. Just need to get my head around it as I have an iphone so different operating system.

Yes , I had an i phone 4 which was just starting to "creak" a bit , swapped for a Galaxy android . Still getting to grips with it . I think perhaps the apple was a bit more user friendly , but possibly it's me limited savvy silver surfer . Works OK though now . Had trouble with absolutely eating DL allowance until I found the app "advanced task killer " I always run that now , and never had trouble since . See what the Tab 2 turns out like - When I get it !

Over the last two days I've used my iPhone and iPad [and this machine which is an iMac] as well as altering settings on a fairly new Android DesireX and an older Desire phone, plus my Galaxy TabII 7inch.
    The Androids are different to the Apple but the iMac is different to iOS6 mobile devices and I had three different versions of Android to play with, that is Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and the latest Jelly Bean. The point being that the Android versions are different to each other as well. Especially if you take account of the different overlays, by Samsung and HTC in my case.

I really don't have a favourite. Both iOS and Android have their little idiosyncrasies and all have room for improvement.

None supply 'instruction books' any more, so less tech-savvy people will pull their hair out with all of them or just not really benefit in the way that they could.

DL d the manual for the Galaxy phone - 184 pages of A4 . If all else fails RTFM ! Well I would if I had the time (or patience) , just keep muddlin' on . Shame really because as you say , you lose a lot of the benefit that many software writers have flogged for . Probably only use the smallest percentage of their capabilities anyway.

The main 'problems' I find with iPhone and iPad is the lack of expandable memory, although in truth I have not got near the 16gig capacity yet and won't as long as I unload old T3 magazines and other memory hoggers now and again.

Main problem with Android is also memory related even though its memory is expandable. For the phones and possibly for tablets as well, the apps mostly reside in a small reserved section of the phone memory. My old desire hit that limit with not that many apps loaded. It has about 14 gig spare on an SD card and quite a few on the phone itself, just not for apps. Both the aforementioned DesireX phone and tablet have 32gig SD cards installed which means a massive capacity for music, magazines, pictures and other files considering the on-board standard 16 gig on top. Just concerned at the app capacity, although I vaguely remember reading something about reserve memory capacity improvements coming in with Ice Cream Sandwich. We shall see in the fullness of time.

In the meantime I have no hesitation otherwise of recommending both Apple and Android products. Make sure you get ICS or JB operating systems on Android for the best user interface.

Getting to the nitty gritty now ! 1) is ice cream sandwich a downloadable update , or is it likely to have been be pre- installed as delivered last month ? 2) what is / are ICS or JB OS ? are they pre-installed or downloadable , and how do I tell which I've got ? I've downloaded a raft of updates/ upgrades - it seems that there's something each time I connect with "Kies" , or will they be app updates ? I should say the the phone isn't locked to any provider , and is using a Voda sim . The actual phone is good and doesn't have any blind spots (well, not many and only up on the hills away from the town ) isn't that what we get them for primarily . Having said all that , I'm quite suited with what I have , and not pining to go back to i phone . Thank you all so much for your time and patience in this , and any answers appreciated.

Kies is the Samsung skin that they put on their Android devices. I have not installed it on my computers and the basic Android operating system works fine without it and all Google apps and others sync between devices with no problem whatsoever.
    Although some Android devices have updates to their operating systems available they are device specific and in general it is best to assume that unless there is a general problem with a device, what you buy is what you are lumbered with for the life of the device. So in general you will not be able to update a device with an older operating system like Honeycomb to the latest Jelly Bean.
    If buying a new device today I would expect it to be equipped with Ice Cream Sandwich [Android4] as a minimum and ideally Jelly Bean which I think is 4.1.1

They all work. No problem there. Just that those two are so much nicer to use.

To tell what you have got, go into 'Settings' 'System' 'About device'.

A partial solution to the low space on HTC Desire is to root it, however even then you can't fit that many on and need to remove anything not used much - as a certain amount of the app data seems to be needed still on the internal memory.
    But you can fit on far more than before as you can force almost all of them to the SD card.

Also the Desire if not HTC in general is not the easiest one to root does needs a bit of study.
    Like most things it seems 'easy' when you've done it but there are so many little pitfalls along the way it can be frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by perfidia View Post
    Bit fed up with Samsung just now . Took advantage of the promotional offer of a Galaxy 10" tab 2 after buying a Galaxy smartphone . Duly fulfilled all the requirements for this , accepting that the tablet was "In stock" , paid up , and waited --- and waited . Tracking says order being processed , said that on 5th Feb , still says same . Thought they might have been quicker off the mark with the big sales push that they have on at the moment . e mailed Expansys who are running the offer , but no reply . Poor show I think .
    Can't you cancel the order & just get it from John Lewis online. That what I did. Delivery v. quick, a couple of days. Samsumg Galaxy note 10.1 Its got Jelly Bean 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    A partial solution to the low space on HTC Desire is to root it, however even then you can't fit that many on and need to remove anything not used much - as a certain amount of the app data seems to be needed still on the internal memory.
    But you can fit on far more than before as you can force almost all of them to the SD card.

Also the Desire if not HTC in general is not the easiest one to root does needs a bit of study.
    Like most things it seems 'easy' when you've done it but there are so many little pitfalls along the way it can be frustrating.
    Root it? I don't think so. 99% of people just want it to work. That's where Apple have an advantage. A huge advantage that explains their success over the years.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by perfidia View Post
    My free tablet took ages to arrive, having bought an NX1000 camera back in late November. They tried every trick to get out of the deal but making it clear that I would have no hesitation in taking them to the small claims Court got both the tablet and the cashback card out of them double-quick.
    They make a huge song and dance out of verifying your purchase. Had no such issue with Sony promotions which paid out with no problem whatsoever.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by choochter View Post
    Can't you cancel the order & just get it from John Lewis online. That what I did. Delivery v. quick, a couple of days. Samsumg Galaxy note 10.1 Its got Jelly Bean 4.1.1
    Well yes, I could do that OK , but it's a promo offer , so I don't want to miss out on that . I'm not at all stuck for delivery , it's just that on-line stuff seems to arrive pretty quickly - for me anyway ,I also checked my Barclaycard today , and they haven't yet taken the money , so I'll bide a little and see what transpires . I'll look in "settings" and see what I've got but I think it' "Ice cream sandwich " Perhaps the old maxim "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here ?

It's "Android 4.1.2 " Jelly bean ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    My free tablet took ages to arrive, having bought an NX1000 camera back in late November. They tried every trick to get out of the deal but making it clear that I would have no hesitation in taking them to the small claims Court got both the tablet and the cashback card out of them double-quick.
    They make a huge song and dance out of verifying your purchase. Had no such issue with Sony promotions which paid out with no problem whatsoever.

i to bought a nx 1000 bloody good camera it is the free tablet left the shop with me shame the shop shut following week tablet works well pleased with it.

It is a good little camera at the budget end of mirrorless exchangeable lens, or compact system cameras as some call them.
    I was lucky enough to catch a bargain genuine Samsung pancake 20mm prime lens from a bulk buyer on Amazon for 75 as well. This makes it just about pocketable.
    The Duck 2015

It is a good little camera at the budget end of mirrorless exchangeable lens, or compact system cameras as some call them.
    I was lucky enough to catch a bargain genuine Samsung pancake 20mm prime lens from a bulk buyer on Amazon for 75 as well. This makes it just about pocketable.
    jessops wanted a little bit more than that for same lens though they were same price for camera.

Just a heads up on the Samsung tab . Notification just now by e mail that it has shipped , So- all's well - hopefully . Wonder why the "thumbs up " icon below here is "Thumbs Down " and the thumbs up one is next with no title ?

Quote Originally Posted by fester View Post
    jessops wanted a little bit more than that for same lens though they were same price for camera.
    Amazon now want 133 for the lens and Park Cameras an unbelievable 229 less 50 cashback, which makes it 179

Bargain tip of the moment if you have a Sony Alpha series camera is the 50mm prime lens http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-50mm-1-...2085779&sr=1-1 at 90. This seems like a genuinely good price for a superb bright lens. It is 140 at Argos.
    The Duck 2015