Thread: Cover crop and weeds

Cover crop and weeds

I have some fields in which I need to establish a winter cover crop. However like a lot of fields in the area they are infested with weeds, mainly charlock and chamomile.

My intended method of establishing cover was Direct drill (Moore), is it best to spray off, just drill or use the weeds as cover crop??

Thank's

Re: Cover crop and weeds

Quote Originally Posted by Tim 86FR View Post
    I have some fields in which I need to establish a winter cover crop. However like a lot of fields in the area they are infested with weeds, mainly charlock and chamomile.

My intended method of establishing cover was Direct drill (Moore), is it best to spray off, just drill or use the weeds as cover crop??

Thank's
    The fields we are going to cover crop with a Claydon are all having pre-harvest glyphosate, hope that'll stuff the weeds for long enough for the cover to get going. It's worked OK with rape & turnips, although with a brassica only mix you've got more options after drilling if needed.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go

Too late to roundup pre harvest as already cut.

Would rape drill into a trashy stubble or would the weeds (sprayed off) shade the rape seedlings too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim 86FR View Post

Thank's
    The US Cover Crop farmers like diversity of the crop and say the land needs plants growing all the time. Termination of the cover is done withthe Rodale crimper roller . I've done quite a long piece in Prac Farm Ideas http://bit.ly/10Xy0JZ and the roller plans are in the new issue. Might help.
    Bright ideas for successful farming www.farmideas.co.uk