Thread: Miscanthus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Miscanthus

Is this a decent crop to grow? what land does it like? can it be destroyed after the growing period?

Im considering growing 40 odd acres of Miscanthus. some on sand clay loam on my riverside fields , they flood most years with some loss of crop, but give good yields if flooding isnt serious. EA are withdrawing funds for flood bank repairs so the flood problems will only get worse

Other land I would consider Miscanthus on is a heavy clay, does Miscanthus like clay? do the roots firm the land allowing harvest in wet times?

What are the margins like ? I would be getting 50% of my harvest back as pellets for poultry house heating.

please post your experiences if any

Re: Miscanthus

Got to establish like normal crops in good soil>
    Some round here have spread rhizomes with muck spreader.
    think work on seeds also being done.
    Takes years to establish and years to get rid of after apparantly?

I tried coppice willow on some poor heavy land and have learned a few lesson from that, but growing my own energy does appeal, as does not loosing crops when the river comes over the banks especially after last season.

I dont think miscanthus pellets burn as well as wood pellets so a lowered boiler output, so it may be a non starter. as it would all be pointless if i end up topping up the heat with lpg heaters.

I have had 25 acres in loam for 5 years and sadly do not like it.
    we have only ever sold the straw for bedding and this year cropped 225 bales @ 480 kg each off it.
    it doesnt make much of a margin. Yes it will grow but so will nettles.

i am trying different tack this summer by multi cutting and putting into ad plant...

We have been growing it for 8 year. Never had a problem with it. Majorityheavy clay as some in brashy ground. We are averaging 15t/ha. As for gettingrid of it round up will kill it as it is shooting after harvest.

Hello all,

I am a MSc student at the University of East Anglia look at decision making for growing, or not growing for the energy crop Miscanthus.
    If you have considered growing Miscanthus or are currently growing Miscanthus, and would like to offer some insight into your decision making, please email n.jamieson@uea.ac.uk or take 10-15minutes to fill in the survey below.

Thank you for any help.

http://goo.gl/forms/Cq9O3VReO5zJvCBw2

Quote Originally Posted by @agricrob View Post
    We have been growing it for 8 year. Never had a problem with it. Majorityheavy clay as some in brashy ground. We are averaging 15t/ha. As for gettingrid of it round up will kill it as it is shooting after harvest.
    strong dose of round up plus wetters etc at said growth stage only stunned it a bit you need to knock hell out of it with some heavy discs with chain harrows behind to roll the rhizomes on to to dry out and die then you need to plant something to smother the odd ones that survive