Thread: Cycling to Paris

Cycling to Paris

Sorry if I have posted this elsewhere first having problems uploading the pictures.
    I want to give a big thank you to those on the forum who sponsored me. My ride will benefit East Anglian Children's Hospices to the tune of 2500.
    The ride started Wednesday the 17th. About 130 of us, set out from Croydon on the hottest day of the year heading for Dover, along the back roads through Seal Sevenoaks etc. At all times we were met with civility and kindness, thanks especially to the silage team outside Dover who must have had a few curses under their breath That was a sweltering 85 miles, to catch the ferry and another 4 the other side to our hotel.
    The second day we headed out for Amiens, a 100 mile stretch, and the weather was every bit as hot, we were warned to drink at least 10 litres of water and preferably 15!
    Crops generally looked good, and I found it staggering the lack of knowledge of the different crops by my fellow cyclists, some wanted to know why they grew so much spinach (sugar beet ) another question why so many fields were empty as we were passing Barley and wheat! We saw many combines, a surprising number of smaller and old ones, and balers working, but would you know what this machine was doing?

I got into Amiens at 6 pm exhausted we had climbed 5,800 feet during the day (this is the Strava thingy at work) I had also taken a wrong turning meaning I had actually knocked up 110 miles! I drank a couple of beers and went to bed!
    The next day was a doddle 65 miles through the rollling French countryside but the area here has chilling echoes as you go through, or skirt the towns and villages, with such terrible connections from WW1, Mesnil, Arras, Cambrai, to mention just 3.
    The farming looks good, with lots of Dairying in the villages set in the valleys and all arable on the tops. the top was fairly flat and really good cycling, the roads were good with virtually no traffic except the odd milk tanker.
    That evening we arrive in Criels where we had two disasters, the first, one guy nearly ended under a car on a roundabout, thankfully he was unscathed but the bike was written off! Worse was to follow, as the hotel quickly ran out of beer! Never mind we knew that could not happen in Paris the next day.
    Paris was a short hop only 50 miles away and we were quickly in the outskirts, we took the tour de France route in, for those who know Paris, it takes you up to the Opera, down to the Louvre, along Rue de Rivoli, then the ultimate, riding up the Champs Elysee and round the Arc De Triomphe.
    The traffic was great, blasts on the horn, not to say **** off , they were actually cheering us on
    Not a bad thing to be doing on your 62nd. birthday I thought.

Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Re: Cycling to Paris

A good job well done and for a good purpose. Well told, in addition. All strength to you legs for the next one

JV

Well done Stevie, us old'ns can still cut the mustard! Can't believe its over a year since the Shutts reunion!

There does seem to be a lot of people doing the Paris cycle ride, there are a group in our village doing it.

Pretty sure that machine is pulling flax, seen a lot in France. Dont know why we dont do it here?

cb

Well spotted CB
    It flummoxed me for a start until he came up the hill, as the field must have been at least half mile long
    Would have been a filthy job for the operator with no cab, going the other way he would have been in the middle of a good cloud of dust.
    Just like the good old days, on the Combine with no cab.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.