Thread: PA4s, slug pelleting ticket.

PA4s, slug pelleting ticket.

Hi Internet

I've just had my farm assurance inspection and got in trouble for not having a PA4 ticket to allow me to apply slug pellets.
    I normally get away with it because i haven't spread them before, just saying that my spinner was for seed/feeding the pheasants, but last year i did and recorded how much spread in my records so thought i'd better tell the truth.

I went on the NPTC website and found the list of centers where they run the course, called all in a 50 mile radius and none of them are running it, saying there is no point because no one ever signed up for it. This is a bit worrying as i cant lose my assurance, especially not on something as minor as a certificate to spread slug pellets!

Does anyone know where i can get it? I'm willing to travel a bit so anywhere like Herts, Beds, Bucks, London, Oxon, Cambs, Essex, Northants......

Thanks

Re: PA4s, slug pelleting ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmouth Strikes Again View Post
    Hi Internet

I've just had my farm assurance inspection and got in trouble for not having a PA4 ticket to allow me to apply slug pellets.
    I normally get away with it because i haven't spread them before, just saying that my spinner was for seed/feeding the pheasants, but last year i did and recorded how much spread in my records so thought i'd better tell the truth.

I went on the NPTC website and found the list of centers where they run the course, called all in a 50 mile radius and none of them are running it, saying there is no point because no one ever signed up for it. This is a bit worrying as i cant lose my assurance, especially not on something as minor as a certificate to spread slug pellets!

Does anyone know where i can get it? I'm willing to travel a bit so anywhere like Herts, Beds, Bucks, London, Oxon, Cambs, Essex, Northants......

Thanks
    Sorry, I can't help with your question, but when did you do your PA1 & 2? If it was at the beginning (late 80's) then you. Might be covered already as the PA4 hadn't been dreamt up and slug pellets were (sensibly) covered by the other certs. Don't know if Grandad rights would cover as well?

I have an inkling where your mistake was. Isn't it great how FA encourages you to be dishonest?

Vale training group at Marsh. Kate Mason.
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...49784469,d.d2k

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Sorry, I can't help with your question, but when did you do your PA1 & 2? If it was at the beginning (late 80's) then you. Might be covered already as the PA4 hadn't been dreamt up and slug pellets were (sensibly) covered by the other certs. Don't know if Grandad rights would cover as well?

I have an inkling where your mistake was. Isn't it great how FA encourages you to be dishonest?

+1 to that, be worth asking the ag college's, I done my spray cert at college and got the lot thrown in for free, none of these separate tests for each type of sprayer/applicator.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Better let the slugs eat all your crops then?

Quite remarkably the Metaldehyde Stewardship Group don't include this information in an easy to find part of the website which seems a bit daft. It appears that PA 3 and PA4 cover you if you gained them prior to June 1994, Grandfather rights cover you to some extent but you are still required to take training in application. Post 1994 and you need the most recent qualification. There is a chart from 2010 here which this has come from, I'm not sure if it has been replaced although there isn't a newer version available as far as I can tell.

With Grandfather rights being withdrawn for PPP's presumably they will disappear for slug pellet applications too?

Edit: The information above is out of date but there doesn't seem to be an update available on the campaign website to say this. I've left this post in place to keep the replies below in context.
    Last edited by foxbox; 28-07-13 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Info from pelletwise website is out of date.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Have you contacted the local Ag Colleges? They might be finished for the summer now. But will probably run these for students when they return once summer is done.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

No chance of grandfather rights, i'm 24, and my PA1 and 2 wasn't enough when i showed him.
    Its very easy to be dishonest during the inspection. When he asks to see my knapsack sprayer, i say i don't have one (I don't have a ticket). When he asks how I've sprayed all the weeds in the yard, i say i went down the garden center and bought some spray bottles of roundup... Thought i might be pushing it too far to lie about pellets, especially when i've got pellets in the spray shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    Vale training group at Marsh. Kate Mason.
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...49784469,d.d2k
    Thanks, I'll give them a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Have you contacted the local Ag Colleges? They might be finished for the summer now. But will probably run these for students when they return once summer is done.
    Yes. Oaklands flatly said they don't do it and Shuttleworth said they'd only do it if 6 other people booked at the same time. Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Moulton College run them periodically, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to register interest though as they promised to get in touch with me when the next chainsaw course was being run; that was 3 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Quite remarkably the Metaldehyde Stewardship Group don't include this information in an easy to find part of the website which seems a bit daft. It appears that PA 3 and PA4 cover you if you gained them prior to June 1994, Grandfather rights cover you to some extent but you are still required to take training in application. Post 1994 and you need the most recent qualification. There is a chart from 2010 here which this has come from, I'm not sure if it has been replaced although there isn't a newer version available as far as I can tell.

With Grandfather rights being withdrawn for PPP's presumably they will disappear for slug pellet applications too?
    I may be wrong but think this has bieng revoked and we all need to do a seperate test.Think was told it on annual NOROSO course topical update section last winter?

yup it was part of last seasons NroSo course, everyboby applying pellets needs a PA4s ticket, try your chemical suppliers they might have contact for doing the course

Quote Originally Posted by A Trebor View Post
    I may be wrong but think this has bieng revoked and we all need to do a seperate test.Think was told it on annual NOROSO course topical update section last winter?
    I had something along those lines ticking away in the back of my head too but I'm really disappointed that the website link above isn't accurate. I'll edit the post above to make that clearer.

Edit: I've emailed them asking them for the official position regarding training, I'll post the response when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    yup it was part of last seasons NroSo course, everyboby applying pellets needs a PA4s ticket, try your chemical suppliers they might have contact for doing the course
    Agree get your supplier to run a course they are in the best position to get a group together, ours run a course a couple. OF years ago well attended and help spread the cost.

contact field house assessments. They will sort out this problem, based in Sussex but can and will help. Provide a damn good service

From this November everyone will have to hold cert. To apply any crop chemicals, so where is this army of testers coming from.
    The ATB was finished years ago?

Before long you wont be able to go for a **** without a certificate

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    Before long you wont be able to go for a **** without a certificate
    Well that's you in trouble. That legislation was introduced in the Spring, did you miss the notices in the farming press? I understand DEFRA have drafted in Trading Standards to run the training courses, as they are best qualified to talk sh*te.