Thread: Grass seeder for Einbock grass manager

Grass seeder for Einbock grass manager

Recently bought a 6.00 metre Einbock grass manager and thinking of adding a grass seeder unit to it so that I can overseed pastures at same time as harrowing in the spring or autumn for better grass take.

Some nice seeding units are available but wondered if the spaldings 12V slug pellater / reseeder is any good bearing in mind this is much cheaper than the Stocks or similar makes and might be more versatile as could be used for slug pellating rather than using fert spinner.

Has anyone used the spaldings 12v machine in this way and found it effective or is it a case of you get what you pay for and will be better off going for a more professional pneumatic seeder.

Appreciate your advice. - Regards to you all.

Re: Grass seeder for Einbock grass manager

I've got an opico grass harrows and attached a similar spreader to spaldings to the front of the tractor, reseeded a field with it last August crossed field both ways and it worked perfect, took a good cut of hay of it this year.

A few years ago I bought a Logic electro broadcaster, it was not so expensive as the Spaldings one. Just used for spreading grass seed & works well. Spread half the seed up and down and the other half side to side to get an even cover. I havent mounted it on the harrows, but I'm not doing scores of acres a year.

Am in the process of buying a seeder from Bullock tillage to do a similar job only on a 3m cultivator, it might well do 6m, worth a call as its not silly money.

Thanks for the pointers and feedback, I particularly like the seeder from Bullock Tillage as it does indeed look to be value for money and stoutly made and fit for purpose.

I know that the Spaldings kit seems quite good but didn't really want to mount on the front of my tractor as fear that seeds will be blown backwards into the air filters and I usually run with wafer weights in place as I'm on sloping land and also basically I'm to lazy to keep lifting them on and off.

I did come across a viztech machine from Austria, I beleive but would prefer to shop at home where parts are more readily available and supporting our own so to speak allthough I appreciate the Einbock is Austrian - it was the best I could find on ebay!

Will contact Bullock Tillage to enquire. - Many thanks for your helpful replies and good advice.

PFI has described a number of different set-ups and one useful tip was to have the seeder units shielded by a length of conveyor belting so the seeds were less likely to be blown about. The same man made a front mounted land leveller out of the side of a bull pen and had the einbock with a box seeder on the back and he towed a roller behind it all. Another set-up - from Orkney - has a front mounted einbock and an air seeder (Accord I think) on guttler type ring roller on the 3-pt. Both farmers said the set-up worked very well, and they used the kit on a yearly basis.
    Bright ideas for successful farming www.farmideas.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Springador View Post
    Thanks for the pointers and feedback, I particularly like the seeder from Bullock Tillage as it does indeed look to be value for money and stoutly made and fit for purpose.

I know that the Spaldings kit seems quite good but didn't really want to mount on the front of my tractor as fear that seeds will be blown backwards into the air filters and I usually run with wafer weights in place as I'm on sloping land and also basically I'm to lazy to keep lifting them on and off.

I did come across a viztech machine from Austria, I beleive but would prefer to shop at home where parts are more readily available and supporting our own so to speak allthough I appreciate the Einbock is Austrian - it was the best I could find on ebay!

Will contact Bullock Tillage to enquire. - Many thanks for your helpful replies and good advice.
    It's the T18 you need to ask for.

Interesting , I am not sure about a slug pelleter sowing grass seed the full 6 meteres ,I imagine 3 m might be far enough?
    I bought a second hand slug pelleter locally last autumn to go on a trike , for pelleting the stubble turnips we sometimes have in the summer.
    I am thinking of mounting it on the Browns aerator which has a full set of einboch tines attached to the back to sow clover ,and maybe a little seed!
    However , being fond of the wonderful accuracy of calibration and sowing of the 3 m Einboch we already have , it might only be occasionally

Only thing with a green hopper is that you can't see how much seed is left in the hopper. You might run out of seed and only half the field done.

Have spoken to Nigel Bullock and I am very interested in his kit - he seems to have an attractive price and seems well made. Apparently he is bringing in a version with a 300 litre hopper in the next few weeks. So the point regarding amount of seed being seen through the pot - a very valid point, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think this might be the very fellow for me as it will certainly cover a 21 acre field in one go - if not then the 180 version.

I should also mention that Bullock's do a spreader plate slug pellater which covers five and a bit metres width with grass seed and this is again an attractive bit of kit, for the price.

Anyway many thanks again for the heads up on Bullock's, as they seem a real helpfull firm and are coming my way tomorrow to show me their kit and I will have to see how much is available in the old piggy bank, as I am busy refurbishing my old Mk3 Moore drill so need to keep an eye on the budget and not get too carried away.

Best wishes to you all.

PS
    The farmideas is a good pointer - thanks, seem to remember a chap had a grass roller on a caravan type tow bar behind his cultivator ( I think) which did two jobs at once- quite novel.

Recently bought a 6.00 metre Einbock grass manager and thinking of adding a grass seeder unit to it so that I can overseed pastures at same time as harrowing in the spring or autumn for better grass take.

Some nice seeding units are available but wondered if the spaldings 12V slug pellater / reseeder is any good bearing in mind this is much cheaper than the Stocks or similar makes and might be more versatile as could be used for slug pellating rather than using fert spinner.

Has anyone used the spaldings 12v machine in this way and found it effective or is it a case of you get what you pay for and will be better off going for a more professional pneumatic seeder.

Appreciate your advice. - Regards to you all.
    You would be better if you could go the extra and get a pneumatic box for your grass manager, they spread the seed close to the ground and are not affected by wind, they have a ground wheel for turning the seed roller so once you set your rate it doesn't matter what speed you travel at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonk View Post
    You would be better if you could go the extra and get a pneumatic box for your grass manager, they spread the seed close to the ground and are not affected by wind, they have a ground wheel for turning the seed roller so once you set your rate it doesn't matter what speed you travel at.
    Its without doubt that they are better ,but like all things its a question of money and for me on my miniature estate I have been very pleased with my Spladings ,it will do 6m fine up to weather you would use a sprayer ,better than a fert` spreader.

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Anyone I see broadcasting grass seed will be shot on sight. Seriously. Grass seed is too expensive to mess around with.

I am reluctant to even let people use these grass seed harrow box things. In my mind the safest option is to get someone to direct drill the stuff in properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Anyone I see broadcasting grass seed will be shot on sight. Seriously. Grass seed is too expensive to mess around with.

I am reluctant to even let people use these grass seed harrow box things. In my mind the safest option is to get someone to direct drill the stuff in properly.
    If you mean slug pelleter type things then fair enough , but Einboch and Opico type broadcater units ,are as accurate as large Accord type seeders they were based on ! A doddle to calibrate each time and if your Mrs does not mind you fouling her kitchen scales, and your maths is good , then Bobs Your Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    If you mean slug pelleter type things then fair enough , but Einboch and Opico type broadcater units ,are as accurate as large Accord type seeders they were based on ! A doddle to calibrate each time and if your Mrs does not mind you fouling her kitchen scales, and your maths is good , then Bobs Your Uncle
    Which is what the spaldings one is as well , easy for me and Huffs to grasp as we both have used these machines
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Actually Nigel Bullock, came yesterday and I looked at his kit, I was quite impressed with the unit i saw and i am waiting to see what price and size the 300 litre pot version will be before going ahead. The unit I looked at was a 120 litre pot he said they don't do the 180 L anymore but this might be replaced with a 200L pot version. Any one know how litres = Kgms of seed for grass and clover? apparently 120 L should do 10 acres?

The smaller blown version to go on a quadbike or cultivator also looked good value as well - but for me the piped version will be better as it will deliver at ground level where i want the seed and also I can top up fields annually whilst dethatching or in the autumn before sheep grazing.

I take on board the mention of disc drilling and of course this is a good way providing that your lucky or wealthy enough to have such kit due to the cost of the grassland disc drills nowadays.

Out of pure interest I have an old Moore grassland drill which I didn't really consider using yet owing to it's general condition visually- for the most part it is all there and appears to be working - but a couple of days back I contacted Moores and was very surprised that not only did Sam Mooore, forward a handbook via the web but actually had most of the parts I needed to refurbish it in stock. A very big thankyou to Mr Moore, shame John Deere etc were not run so nice and friendly! considering that my drill was made in the late 1970's.

So this is my winter project of bead blasting, respaying and refitting it up to as near to new, calling on the services of a sheet metal firm to make a new hopper lid and my old mates to do some BZP and colour passivating of the springs. All the discs, land wheels and coulters are good as new so we shall see how this comes out and performs.

Many thanks again for all of your advice.

Actually Nigel Bullock, came yesterday and I looked at his kit, I was quite impressed with the unit i saw and i am waiting to see what price and size the 300 litre pot version will be before going ahead. The unit I looked at was a 120 litre pot he said they don't do the 180 L anymore but this might be replaced with a 200L pot version. Any one know how litres = Kgms of seed for grass and clover? apparently 120 L should do 10 acres?

The smaller blown version to go on a quadbike or cultivator also looked good value as well - but for me the piped version will be better as it will deliver at ground level where i want the seed and also I can top up fields annually whilst dethatching or in the autumn before sheep grazing.

I take on board the mention of disc drilling and of course this is a good way providing that your lucky or wealthy enough to have such kit due to the cost of the grassland disc drills nowadays.

Out of pure interest I have an old Moore grassland drill which I didn't really consider using yet owing to it's general condition visually- for the most part it is all there and appears to be working - but a couple of days back I contacted Moores and was very surprised that not only did Sam Mooore, forward a handbook via the web but actually had most of the parts I needed to refurbish it in stock. A very big thankyou to Mr Moore, shame John Deere etc were not run so nice and friendly! considering that my drill was made in the late 1970's.

So this is my winter project of bead blasting, respaying and refitting it up to as near to new, calling on the services of a sheet metal firm to make a new hopper lid and my old mates to do some BZP and colour passivating of the springs. All the discs, land wheels and coulters are good as new so we shall see how this comes out and performs.

Many thanks again for all of your advice.
    Tank on my einbock is 300L and holds 90kg grass seed so a weight of .27kg per litre. You would be running a bit light at 120L for 10 acres, that amount would do just short of 3 acres. Clover on the other hand has a density of 1kg per litre.

I'm not concerned about the metering accuracy of accord type systems or not, my concern is that people scatter grass seed in some haphazard fashion and expect it to grow perfectly.

I've put grass seed in using my stocks slug pelleter on the quad bike, currently thinking about how to mount it on the shelbourne grass harrows and purchasing a deflector plate thing from stocks to direct the seed into the harrow

Jonk's point is a good one actually on reflection and I am sure he is correct a 120 litre hopper will be far too small my average field is 15 acres and the largest 21 so the maximum capacity i can get will be the better but at least 300litres.

May also give stocks a call as i could be penny wise and pound foolish on this matter and what I want is something that is reliable and purposeful.

Anyone out there with an einbock with pic of how you mounted your seeding unit etc and how many outlets for a 6.00m width harrow as I am still trying to fathom how the pipes run for folding in transport without causing kinked pipes etc .

Pic attached to illustrate what I'm driving at.

Many thanks to you all
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jonk's point is a good one actually on reflection and I am sure he is correct a 120 litre hopper will be far too small my average field is 15 acres and the largest 21 so the maximum capacity i can get will be the better but at least 300litres.

May also give stocks a call as i could be penny wise and pound foolish on this matter and what I want is something that is reliable and purposeful.

Anyone out there with an einbock with pic of how you mounted your seeding unit etc and how many outlets for a 6.00m width harrow as I am still trying to fathom how the pipes run for folding in transport without causing kinked pipes etc .

Pic attached to illustrate what I'm driving at.

Many thanks to you all
    If you get back to your dealer they should be able to sort you out, what you have in the picture is the harrow, seedbox pipes and spreadplates would come as a kit for fitting after.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joskin-6m-...item4175c999c1

Looks a bargain at 2,250.00 , if its more sound than the shed its in .