Thread: John Deere 2140 axle seals

John Deere 2140 axle seals

I run a John Deere 2140, a few years ago about 6 months after I bought it the left hand side axle seal and bearing failed. Resulting in the trumpet housing being removed and sent to a John Deere dealers for repair.

Last week I noticed the right hand side axle seal has now gone (black drops of oil on the inside of the wheel rim). The tractor has done a total of 6500 hours and probably not many hours really between either side failing. It had 6000 plus hours on when I bought it.

A friend asked if the axle bearing/seals were a weak point the other day, so I though I would ask if this is something others have experienced with the old 40 series tractors or the 50 series?

http://www.agric.co.uk

Re: John Deere 2140 axle seals

I had a 2140 with over 7500hrs on it never had any problems with axle seals, I still have a 3050 with 11k+ hrs a mate has 2 3050's and a 2140 all with 10k+ hrs none of thems ever had axle seals or bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesston4860s View Post
    I had a 2140 with over 7500hrs on it never had any problems with axle seals, I still have a 3050 with 11k+ hrs a mate has 2 3050's and a 2140 all with 10k+ hrs none of thems ever had axle seals or bearings.
    Ok, maybe it's just mine then, it had lived part of its earlier life on a hedge trimmer on an arable farm. As evidenced by the amount of trimmings I removed from her when she arrived.

http://www.agric.co.uk

Don't grease the axle to often, it only require a pump every 1000hrs or so, if over greased it pushes the seal out and the oil follows