Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons for Maxammon

Pros and cons for Maxammon

We would like to try Maxammon on our winter barley this year but we have limited shed space, would the Maxammon treated barley be safe to store in our grain store? There will be winter wheat and spring barley in the store. We.re a bit worried about the smell that might come off it and affect the wheat and does it keep as well as they say it does? Any advice from previous users will be much appreciate!

Re: Pros and cons for Maxammon

We have never used Maxammon but do use urea which is very similar, if any of the grain stored in close proxsimity is to be used as seed don't do it.
    We had a 10cwt bag of seed barley left over a couple of years ago and was stored a good 30 feet away from the well sheeted clamp of treated barley ,when sown the following year none of that seed grew

I used Home & Dry (pretty well the same as Maxammon) last year, on some Spring Barley. There is a fair bit left and it looks as good as the day I unsheeted it, so yes I'd say it does keep. As for damage to other corn in the shed, mine was sheeted in 1 corner of the shed and there was a heap of SB to sell in another corner, probably about 10' from the treated stuff at the edge. It was going for feed anyway, but a little bit I tried a germ test on was fine. Mine was only sheeted against concrete panel walls with a tarp on top & a few rails to hold the edges down. I couldn't smell any ammonia around the heap at all, until I opened it, then only a bit that soon disapated. I can't see that it could cause any issues with any other corn in the shed. I was also told that the pellets had to be mixed thoroughly (feeder wagon works well), as the ammonia gas would only travel about 6" through the grain and it wouldn't all get treated if poorly mixed.

Could there have been anything else with that seed corn Orcadian?

Well the rest of the seed that was bought that year all grew and the bag in issue was kept dry all the time till it was sown the following year cant be sure it was the ammonia from the heap but not a single seed grew from that 500 kls

dont want to hijack this thread but was wondering about using this stuff on our spring barley,does it have to be bruised and mixed with it at same time,do u have to sheet it? how long will it keep? we dont use the barley at a huge rate during the winter,we buy in a cheaper blend,tip on floor of shed then mix bruised barley with the loader bucket on floor of shed,then it either gets bagged or tipped in a creep with loader bucket,if we grow aout 25-30 acres and that see's us through most of winter,if we bruised and treated at harvest time would it keep all winter?

Quote Originally Posted by valtraman View Post
    dont want to hijack this thread but was wondering about using this stuff on our spring barley,does it have to be bruised and mixed with it at same time,do u have to sheet it? how long will it keep? we dont use the barley at a huge rate during the winter,we buy in a cheaper blend,tip on floor of shed then mix bruised barley with the loader bucket on floor of shed,then it either gets bagged or tipped in a creep with loader bucket,if we grow aout 25-30 acres and that see's us through most of winter,if we bruised and treated at harvest time would it keep all winter?
    I was told you can bruise or roll the grain either before or after the urea treatment and it didn't make a difference which. Can't tell you from experience as mine was used for sheep only, so fed whole. Worth asking the makers?

[QUOTE=NeilO;184084]I was told you can bruise or roll the grain either before or after the urea treatment and it didn't make a difference which. Can't tell you from experience as mine was used for sheep only, so fed whole. Worth asking the makers
    how long did the grain last after treating? or did u use it up quickly,i think we would probably treat it whole,sheet it,then we can bruise a batch as we do at the moment when we need it. what kind of cost is this stuff per tonne?

My neighbour was told to put the Home n dry stuff in the bottom of the bucket, take a scoop of grain and tip into the bruiser. That was all the mixing that was needed. He is going to be trying it in a few weeks.

Some Info for Home n Dry

With an expected harvesting Dry Matter content of 80-85% the application rate of Home n Dry would be 30kg per tonne of grain to create a 17% protein DM Alkagrain. For higher moisture grains the inclusion rate will be increased.

It is essential that the grain is fully mature, not necessarily fully dry, but there must be no green through the crop. Green in the crop contains sugars that will react with the ammonia and reduce the quality of the preservation.

Do not over consolidate the clamp after crimping and mixing, the ammonia needs space to migrate through the crop. After about two weeks the alkagrain will be stabilised and you could unsheet it and stack it high into a corner of a shed. Also be sure that the heap is well sheeted and kept away from water as the water will wash away the ammonium bicarbonate. The product is a pellet that is contains the urea and full fat soya for additional protein.

how long did the grain last after treating? or did u use it up quickly,i think we would probably treat it whole,sheet it,then we can bruise a batch as we do at the moment when we need it. what kind of cost is this stuff per tonne?
    Still got quite a bit sat there now, and looks the same as when it was treated last October time. I won't be using any more for a good while yet, so hoping it will last Ok and can't see why it shouldn't. I don't remember the cost of the H&D at the moment (I'll have to look it up), but got it in mind it was around 30 per t of cereal treated. Mine was some that needed drying as was 18-20% mc, and I don't have a drier. Saved cost of drying and added soya, but certainly as cheap as storing dry grain and adding soya separately, if that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    Some Info for Home n Dry

With an expected harvesting Dry Matter content of 80-85% the application rate of Home n Dry would be 30kg per tonne of grain to create a 17% protein DM Alkagrain. For higher moisture grains the inclusion rate will be increased.

It is essential that the grain is fully mature, not necessarily fully dry, but there must be no green through the crop. Green in the crop contains sugars that will react with the ammonia and reduce the quality of the preservation.

Do not over consolidate the clamp after crimping and mixing, the ammonia needs space to migrate through the crop. After about two weeks the alkagrain will be stabilised and you could unsheet it and stack it high into a corner of a shed. Also be sure that the heap is well sheeted and kept away from water as the water will wash away the ammonium bicarbonate. The product is a pellet that is contains the urea and full fat soya for additional protein.
    With the urea treatment you want the moisture content to be 40% as the enzimes in the barley react with the urea changing it into ammonia which preserves the grain and breaks down the seed coat so does away with the need to bruise.

my understanding is that the maxammon comes as two parts which need to be mixed adding an extra task to the operation? The Home and Dry comes as one?

I was told that it is essential that the two parts combine well which will depend on how well you do the job with Maxammon but is already done in the pelleted H&D?

We are doing around 200tonnes of wheat using H&D this time (first time) - will be clamped in a plastic lined, sleeper walled clamp. H&D will be added with the grain as it is bucketed into a murska mill to crimp the grain which will be in the range 18-22%? Any comments / are we doing anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman1963 View Post
    my understanding is that the maxammon comes as two parts which need to be mixed adding an extra task to the operation? The Home and Dry comes as one?

I was told that it is essential that the two parts combine well which will depend on how well you do the job with Maxammon but is already done in the pelleted H&D?

We are doing around 200tonnes of wheat using H&D this time (first time) - will be clamped in a plastic lined, sleeper walled clamp. H&D will be added with the grain as it is bucketed into a murska mill to crimp the grain which will be in the range 18-22%? Any comments / are we doing anything wrong?
    Yes, H&D is just comes as a pellet in 25kg bags, ready to use. I was told you need to mix it fairly accurately as the ammonia doesn't travel far in the heap (6" or so). Changing the amount of H&D used will change the protein of the finished feed and more is needed as mc% increases.

What you're planning sounds about right. Don't roll the clamp though, just push it up and stick a sheet over it for at least a fortnight. Rolling it will reduce the movement of the ammonia through the heap.

Its a bit more hassle using urea(just fertilizer grade made into a solution by adding water) but it is half the cost of Maxammon or H&D and doesent need to be bruised and adds the same amount of protein .

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Yes, H&D is just comes as a pellet in 25kg bags, ready to use. I was told you need to mix it fairly accurately as the ammonia doesn't travel far in the heap (6" or so). Changing the amount of H&D used will change the protein of the finished feed and more is needed as mc% increases.

What you're planning sounds about right. Don't roll the clamp though, just push it up and stick a sheet over it for at least a fortnight. Rolling it will reduce the movement of the ammonia through the heap.
    No, we werent going to try rolling - just using bunkers that are already here to increase storage capacity per m2 of floor space - just a case of pushing up as best we can with telehandler.

Quote Originally Posted by orcadian View Post
    Its a bit more hassle using urea(just fertilizer grade made into a solution by adding water) but it is half the cost of Maxammon or H&D and doesent need to be bruised and adds the same amount of protein .
    Whats the recipe? Would you have to apply as the corn goes through an auger?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post

Just to confirm, after treatment you sheet the clamp for 2-3 weeks and then remove the sheet. Does it store OK after the 3 weeks with no sheets? Could you move say a trailer load and tip it out else where without it going off?

So who supplies Home n dry in SW? And what price is it?

Downside would be that you have no "accelerator" in straight Urea. This is the Urease enzyme which releases the ammonia gas from the urea.

In Maxxamon you need to mix both, in H&Dry, its already done for you in the pellet.

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    So who supplies Home n dry in SW? And what price is it?
    Contact them through the website - www.fivefllp.com

Cost is 716/tonne or 21.5/tonne to treat @ 30kg inclusion.
    Folk will then say - Propcorn etc is cheaper, but you're Ammonia treating for a different reason.
    A neighbour uses H&D and its a great product

Quote Originally Posted by Shields Kaizer View Post
    Downside would be that you have no "accelerator" in straight Urea. This is the Urease enzyme which releases the ammonia gas from the urea.

In Maxxamon you need to mix both, in H&Dry, its already done for you in the pellet.
    Urea takes about 6 weeks to work its wonders but it does work and doesent need crimping and last year it cost about 12 per ton to treat at between 35/40%,will have to look up the mixture strengths, we use an addblue pump to add the solution to the bottom of auger at the rate of 60ltrs to ton.
    What does this accelerator do?

Quote Originally Posted by orcadian View Post
    Urea takes about 6 weeks to work its wonders but it does work and doesent need crimping and last year it cost about 12 per ton to treat at between 35/40%,will have to look up the mixture strengths, we use an addblue pump to add the solution to the bottom of auger at the rate of 60ltrs to ton.
    What does this accelerator do?
    Hazard a guess it speeds up process!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Hazard a guess it speeds up process!?
    Wow I would never have thought of that!!!! But how

Try and get this tec note fromSAC
    Attached Images Attached Images

We bruised and treated 60 tonnes of barley today with Maxammon. Just put the 2 parts of the maxammon on top of the forklift bucket full of grain and put into the bruiser hopper. Pile in corner of shed and sheeted tonight. Will see how it goes.

Have used this on the both barley and wheat the last two years. Contractor comes in with the crimper, two hoppers on the back for each part, mixes it through the unloading auger once its bruised....
    however...
    not totally convinced by it! the cows didnt do as well as when we did the grain with caustic, its not the "cure all" it's advertised to be! And if the grain is more than 20%, it doesnt work at all.
    So even though its a bit of a hassle, its back to caustic this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    We bruised and treated 60 tonnes of barley today with Maxammon. Just put the 2 parts of the maxammon on top of the forklift bucket full of grain and put into the bruiser hopper. Pile in corner of shed and sheeted tonight. Will see how it goes.
    How did it work!? We did 290t last week. We put it through bruiser then mixed maxammon in mixer wagon in 10t batches. Would save a lot of work doing it through bucket. How much did you put in bucket. White bag did 5t iirc.

Apologies for bringing up an old thread, thinking of doing some spring barley. Any updates for this, are the people who used it last year doing it again, and how did cattle perform? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 5000man View Post
    Apologies for bringing up an old thread, thinking of doing some spring barley. Any updates for this, are the people who used it last year doing it again, and how did cattle perform? Thanks.
    worked very well,no waste.did think the cattle done better on it.we going to put a different product on it this year.the liquid stuff from britmilk,supposed to be cheaper than maxammon and does the same job.