Thread: Tool to remove staples

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tool to remove staples

Other than the standard fencing pliers are there any good tools out there to remove staples from stock netting.

I have a good distance of fence to take down and re-erect. Details of any home made tools or ones to purchase which would ease the work load would be appreciated

Many Thanks

MGH

Re: Tool to remove staples

Quote Originally Posted by mghadley View Post
    Other than the standard fencing pliers are there any good tools out there to remove staples from stock netting.

I have a good distance of fence to take down and re-erect. Details of any home made tools or ones to purchase which would ease the work load would be appreciated

Many Thanks

MGH
    get a claw hammer with a forged handle and sharpen the 2 claws with a grinder so you have something that will work on the same principal as the fencing plier

we always used to use an old combine knife finger cut in half with a handle welded on , now days we use a komatsu 360

+1 for the combine finger. Just pull on the handle as you hit it and the staple pops out.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    +1 for the combine finger. Just pull on the handle as you hit it and the staple pops out.
    I used to do this but found that they would come away from the handle at the weld point after not too much hammering. Changed to a piece of old cold chisel steel ground down to a point and welded onto a handle. Has lasted better than a combine finger so far.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sals dasd View Post
    we always used to use an old combine knife finger cut in half with a handle welded on , now days we use a komatsu 360
    Quote Originally Posted by goweresque View Post
    I used to do this but found that they would come away from the handle at the weld point after not too much hammering. Changed to a piece of old cold chisel steel ground down to a point and welded onto a handle. Has lasted better than a combine finger so far.......
    your all pinching my hammer design

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    Why ruin a good hammer?

Why ruin a good hammer?
    coz its a 120 cheaper than the link above

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    Never ever hit two hammers together, a good friend ended up with a splinter in his lung.
    Make the staple remover from something softer than the hammer.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Best thing I've found for staples is a smallish bolt cutter with a chipped blade (Don't ask how I found out!)

I'd get the cheapest Chinese boltcutters about a foot long, & just cross groove the jaws with an angle grinder enough to grip a staple without being able to cut it. A groove about 1/8 - 1/4 " back from the tips is great.You get a really good grip & staples can usually be pulled without bending & can often be re-used (did I tell you my ancestors were from Ceredigion?)

If you have an old haybob tine or similar (who doesn't) cut a length 6" or so, and grind it down like a pencil at one end - but the ground bit needs to be at least twice as long as the sharpened bit of a pencil - so a gentle increase in width.
    The tip wants to be really pointy so you can get it just into the staple even if it's almost buried - whack with hammer.
    Same principle as combine cutter bar finger idea.

Not as cheap as the above suggestions, but a brilliant tool for removing all but the tightest driven staples. A lot quicker and easier than driving something in behind the staple. Work like fencing pliers but loads better.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...l-fencing-tool

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    Not as cheap as the above suggestions, but a brilliant tool for removing all but the tightest driven staples. A lot quicker and easier than driving something in behind the staple. Work like fencing pliers but loads better.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...l-fencing-tool
    Farming must have gotten too profitable. My father did all his fencing using a hammer, a pair of pliers out of the ark, a piece of scrap angle iron with a slot cut in it to tension barbed wire and a scrap cutter bar mower finger to remove old staples, total cost about 3 and sixpence, 'cos thats all he could afford in those days.

Farming must have gotten too profitable. My father did all his fencing using a hammer, a pair of pliers out of the ark, a piece of scrap angle iron with a slot cut in it to tension barbed wire and a scrap cutter bar mower finger to remove old staples, total cost about 3 and sixpence, 'cos thats all he could afford in those days.
    Your father had a hammer?

My father had to use the heel of his boot

Farming must have gotten too profitable..

No, labour's gotten to dear!