Re: Tool to remove staples

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Your father had a hammer?

My father had to use the heel of his boot
    Your father had a boot?

My father had to use his heel

BB

Bahco Nail puller, look it up - it is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpit farm View Post
    Bahco Nail puller, look it up - it is brilliant.
    Not a bahco, but I have a puller that was given to me because the guy didn't know what it was......
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    B4 long someone will be on to say that they're father had no legs and done miles of fences every day walking on his hands and straining wire with his teeth, headbutting staples in etc. etc...........
    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    You knew my grandfather?
    Pull the other one. If your Grandfather had no legs and fenced in such a fashion, where would he find a wife willing to..............

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p10264...duct_info.html

got one of these, had a combine finger for a long time
    Last edited by Bob c; 05-08-13 at 10:36 PM.

Have a pronge off an old horse pulled rake. Great for staples as is curled at the top for a bit leverage

Here is a pic of it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some really good ideas, but how about this for off the peg:

http://www.tizaro.com/hand-tools/pry...king-pry-bars/

You are all over thinking this. Just use a hedgecutter, it will have that wire off there quicker than you can say 'oh bugger'

That's what I've been telling them Dan, but they're too tight to buy it, preferring to mess about driving some old bit of steel in behind every staple

all these fancy tools don't seem too much better than the old fashioned fencing tool, only problem I've found with them is they wear abit too much where you hit it with a hammer.

My neighbour told me he was in the middle of taking up some fences between his paddocks to make it all one field, and that he was taking up the barbed wire .
    I said his fingers were going to be a be sore by the time he had finished , but he told me they weren't going to be ,as he was using the loader .
    Snapping or pulling up the posts then rolling the whole length posts , wire and all , and setting in in the middle of a bonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    My neighbour told me he was in the middle of taking up some fences between his paddocks to make it all one field, and that he was taking up the barbed wire .
    I said his fingers were going to be a be sore by the time he had finished , but he told me they weren't going to be ,as he was using the loader .
    Snapping or pulling up the posts then rolling the whole length posts , wire and all , and setting in in the middle of a bonfire
    Ruff as

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Ruff as
    He is a tractor driver after all -I never actually saw him do it , but I have no doubt he used that method . Must have been like one of Hobarts Funnies by the time he reeled each section up!!

Back in the day everyone used an old cutter bar finger with a handle welded on it. It worked ok but the staples would fly all over the place. The point about using fencing pliers is that you still have the little sods gripped once you have pulled them out. They are as cheap as chips so when they lose their pointyness just buy some more.
    The way some of you make-do-and-mend characters go on makes you sound as if you have been shipwrecked on a deserted island with only what you stand up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Profi Farmer View Post
    You are all over thinking this. Just use a hedgecutter, it will have that wire off there quicker than you can say 'oh bugger'
    No thats too much work cutting it out the hedgecutter. Start at one end with the muck grab open, drive along the fenceline and push it ll into a pile. Set light to it. All the wood disappears and the heat from the fire makes the wire less springy - easier to get in the scrap skip!
    Was JD Andrew before we were reincarnated......

I just use bolt cutters chop staple then twist and wire pops out then just hit two halves of staple in to the post with one hammer blow proper quick

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    No thats too much work cutting it out the hedgecutter.
    Perhaps the answer is to use a contractor to do the hedgcutting?

Quote Originally Posted by NZDan View Post
    Best tool i've bought lately, not cheap but the amount of time saved soon pays for it.
    5 staples on netting fence out in less than 30 seconds, and if staples not rusty most can be reused as they are not damaged or bent

Quote Originally Posted by feilding View Post
    Best tool i've bought lately, not cheap but the amount of time saved soon pays for it.
    5 staples on netting fence out in less than 30 seconds, and if staples not rusty most can be reused as they are not damaged or bent
    Hi,

I am looking at getting an eze pull tool but got a few questions to ask someone who has used one as they appear quite expensive.

Which tool have you got? I am thinking of getting the eze pull ultra crimp. I presume this will join barb wire as the the other tool will only crimp upto 2.5mm.

Do you use the crimping facility and how do you rate it compared to gripples?

How effective are they at getting staples out that are driven well into the post, can/do you need to hit them with the hammer to get behind the staple?

If you don't mind me asking where did you buy it from and how much are they? Is there anywhere online to purchase as struggling to find anywhere.

thanks

jon

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotron View Post
    Hi,

I am looking at getting an eze pull tool but got a few questions to ask someone who has used one as they appear quite expensive.

Which tool have you got? I am thinking of getting the eze pull ultra crimp. I presume this will join barb wire as the the other tool will only crimp upto 2.5mm.

Do you use the crimping facility and how do you rate it compared to gripples?

How effective are they at getting staples out that are driven well into the post, can/do you need to hit them with the hammer to get behind the staple?

If you don't mind me asking where did you buy it from and how much are they? Is there anywhere online to purchase as struggling to find anywhere.

thanks

jon
    never used the crimping part (yet) only used it for removing staples. only failed to get one staple out and that was upaginst a gate hinge, it will dig out staples flush in post, once it is clamped on staple you can pull staple out with one hand and hold a broken post with other.
    I got mine from www.lanleesupplies.co.uk with no crimps, i think it was 90 ish + vat last march. worth every penny

I have modified a bolt cropper and staple pliers to help with this. It's a cheap and effective solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDV8AjX06YE&t=5s

if you can't weld a piece of bar to a finger , find someone who can
    It is far superior to any other tool you can purchase that I have ever found, and if you lose it it costs at least 5p to make another one.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

The thing that really boils my water is when people think that it's absolutely neccessary to hammer staples right in as far as they can. It doesn't do the wire or the stakes any good and they are more difficult to get out if you ever need to, i.e. when the stake/post is cream crackered and you want to use it for firewood. Might be excusable round the straining post but other than that, leave them sticking out a bit. Getting them out with fencing pliers is a doddle then. And don't put them in vertically, put them in on the scunt a bit. That's the way to stop the wire moving about within the staple, not hammering the thing in as if you are trying to get it to come out of the other side of the stake.

And don't even mention those people who think it's a good idea to staple wire half way round stakes to tighten it.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    if you can't weld a piece of bar to a finger , find someone who can
    It is far superior to any other tool you can purchase that I have ever found, and if you lose it it costs at least 5p to make another one.
    I take it you've not used an Ezepull? I used a mower finger welded to a bar for donkeys' years and thought it was the dog's doodas until I borrowed my cousin's Ezepull. We are replacing hundreds of rotten tantalised posts and stakes at the moment and the Ezepull is so fast at removing the staples.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    The thing that really boils my water is when people think that it's absolutely neccessary to hammer staples right in as far as they can. It doesn't do the wire or the stakes any good and they are more difficult to get out if you ever need to, i.e. when the stake/post is cream crackered and you want to use it for firewood. Might be excusable round the straining post but other than that, leave them sticking out a bit. Getting them out with fencing pliers is a doddle then. And don't put them in vertically, put them in on the scunt a bit. That's the way to stop the wire moving about within the staple, not hammering the thing in as if you are trying to get it to come out of the other side of the stake.

And don't even mention those people who think it's a good idea to staple wire half way round stakes to tighten it.

Rant over.
    Rant maybe - but you are spot on in all respects!

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

I made one of these from a low cost bolt cropper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDV8AjX06YE

The main part of the jaws of the bolt cropper are unchanged, so it can still be used for bolt cutting or wire cutting.

I also modified the fencing pliers by making the hook slimmer to fit into the staple hoop.