Thread: downloading pics from iphone 5

downloading pics from iphone 5

can any 1 tell me an easy way to transfer the pics form my iphone 5 to my PC please

Re: downloading pics from iphone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    can any 1 tell me an easy way to transfer the pics form my iphone 5 to my PC please
    email if all else fails.

But if you unplug your charging lead from the Apple mains charger and plug it into the USB port on your PC, I think it should bring up a dialog box and ask you what you would like to do, just like connecting an external hard drive. Not sure about this because my iphone syncs wirelessly with my iMac. But I can connect through a wire if I want to sync the whole device, music and all other files with iTunes. You could do this with iTunes installed on your PC too, but pictures are synched outside of iTunes and you don't need it on your PC for this.

But I could be wrong, as I said above, as I have never needed to do this on a PC
    The Duck 2015

Connect your iPhone to your PC, click on Start, then Computer, in the window that comes up there should be a section "Portable Devices". There should be an icon of an iPhone. Click on it, then in the next window click on "Internal Storage", then in the next window click on DCIM, then click on the folder in the next window.

Your photo's will be shown and you can then copy/paste or drag to whichever folder/desktop you want to.

when i do that raiderz it comes up with computer can't find camera or scanner do i need to have phone on a certian setting?

Must be the same as getting them on/off an Ipad? Mrs ffs ipad has dropbox on it as does this netbook (and laptop currently upstairs on the desktop having its HD mirrored to a new HD , both have dropbox on them)

You just have to have an email address and keep below their max size limit for a free account. I have my Sammy GalaxyS3mini set up to transfer any new images when the phone gets in range of a wi-fi signal automatically to my dropbox account, which also updates the images on all or which ever PC's I have set up for it

Not 100% sold on cloud storage but using dropbox for file/image transfer works well- son was here for a week after Ferrari training and went back at the weekend to Oz, just moved the BBQ & party images to the "public" dropbox folder and sent him an email with the link so he can view\download them there if he wants. Also use it a lot to send him scanned paperwork & letters as PDF's........!

ff

should be able to swap pics and stuff over via icloud but cant seen to get it to work, i can view the pics on phone no probs but computer wont view them

should be able to swap pics and stuff over via icloud but cant seen to get it to work, i can view the pics on phone no probs but computer wont view them

Steered clear of the icloud, bad enough having an iPad!

I assume your PC isn't an apple product? if it isn't then it may be bit of a fiddle but usually get-overable!

Hopefully someone who is more into i stuff will be along in a while??

ff

Can it be done via dropbox?
    With my Android I have dropbox installed and as soon as it gets back on wifi it uploads any new pictures to a chosen folder on dropbox which can be accessed from any of the computers which have dropbox installed.

when i do that raiderz it comes up with computer can't find camera or scanner do i need to have phone on a certian setting?
    What version of windows are you using??

If you have Windows 7, its a doddle. Start by making sure the PC is connected to the web.

Simply connect phone to PC via USB port, and Windows will recognise the phone. Using the windows explorer/folder window, you see a list of drives/devices connected to the machine. Double click the one called iphone etc, and inside will be this fabled DCIM folder. Inside that is all you pictures on your phone. Copy and paste the ones you want to your hard drive, probably best in the pictures folder in your documents.

I would NOT recommend messing with itunes, or the icloud, or any other apple branded software/crap to do this. Apple for some reason can't write user friendly software to save their lives, and finding how the hell you sync, save, transfer etc etc on these programs is just painful. If you ask me why android devices are so popular it is possibly to do with how open and simple they are and how well they function with windows, IE flawlessly, seamlessly, and best of all, hardware talks amongst itself in a co-operative and friendly stressfree fashion.

What I can't help you with is how you would transfer a photo from your PC to your Iphone. For some reason, mostly because they are a monopolistic or controlling bunch of r soles, apple will not let you just move stuff around at will without their own third party (and shit) software being involved.

A shame because apple hardware is or was the market leader, only they lack the flexibility of their rivals and so they are justly being screwed by more user friendly rivals.

If all else fails, get someone with a W7 PC to copy the photos to a flash drive for you.

i can get to the point where it says i have 58 pics on my phone and the boxes show on computer screen but they only have a red x in the box no pic i think i'm on windows 7

iTunes isn't used on a PC to transfer photos. Everything else maybe, but not photos.

On W7 I think the transfer dialog box should auto-start. But if it doesn't, it should be simple enough to bring it up manually with a right click in file explorer or whatever its called these days.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I would NOT recommend messing with itunes, or the icloud, or any other apple branded software/crap to do this. Apple for some reason can't write user friendly software to save their lives, and finding how the hell you sync, save, transfer etc etc on these programs is just painful.
    You don't half spout some sort of bile. Apple are well known for user friendly software.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    You don't half spout some sort of bile. Apple are well known for user friendly software.
    I fear your idea of user friendly differs from mine. Have you ever actually used any other software besides that peddled by the freaky fruit company?

I fear your idea of user friendly differs from mine. Have you ever actually used any other software besides that peddled by the freaky fruit company?
    I use the hardware peddled by said fruity company so have little need or desire to use anything else. Seriously, yes I have but not on a Windows machine. I have Adobe software, have used M$ Office (Excel is more powerful than Numbers). I also use Firefox in preference to Safari but that started because of the want of an adblocker before Safari allowed 3rd party addons. My daughter has to use Windows at school and always comes home complaining about it.

Just use icloud and save all the messing about.

make sure 'photo stream' is switched on, on both the phone an computer.

The pictures are on the laptop usually by the time i want them.

Think they only sync when phone is plugged into charger

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I use the hardware peddled by said fruity company so have little need or desire to use anything else. Seriously, yes I have but not on a Windows machine. I have Adobe software, have used M$ Office (Excel is more powerful than Numbers). I also use Firefox in preference to Safari but that started because of the want of an adblocker before Safari allowed 3rd party addons. My daughter has to use Windows at school and always comes home complaining about it.
    You highlight the crux of the matter in my eyes.

Software designed for and running under windows, is both flexible, powerful and compatible. As someone who can happily remember using a C64 and moving slowly but surely to Windows 3.1, I can tell you W7 feels like a 16 cylinder time machine today. And the best part is, everything is intuitive and where you would expect to find it, and how you would expect it to work. Hence the complaints about Windows 8. Its like BMW deciding to swap the pedal arrangement on their cars around.

Apple hardware always strikes me as very good, solid and well thought out. Their software always seems like they have re-invented the wheel just to piss users off.

Like I said, you need only look at the growth of stuff like Android devices to see how the apple empire is crumbling around their ears.

You highlight the crux of the matter in my eyes.

Software designed for and running under windows, is both flexible, powerful and compatible. As someone who can happily remember using a C64 and moving slowly but surely to Windows 3.1, I can tell you W7 feels like a 16 cylinder time machine today. And the best part is, everything is intuitive and where you would expect to find it, and how you would expect it to work. Hence the complaints about Windows 8. Its like BMW deciding to swap the pedal arrangement on their cars around.

Apple hardware always strikes me as very good, solid and well thought out. Their software always seems like they have re-invented the wheel just to piss users off.

Like I said, you need only look at the growth of stuff like Android devices to see how the apple empire is crumbling around their ears.
    Never had BSOD on this Mac though Mayo Win 7 pc in the office stared out well,it seemed like Mr Gates' firm had looked at OSX and copied some of the better bits and it was as fast as my Mac running Lion, then Mountain Lion, considering the Mac is an i7 and the pc is an i3 processor with the same amount of RAM, i was impressed, however the pc is now starting to get slower, with driver issues, sudden crashes and the occasional Blue Screen of Death wheras the Mac is still going at the same speed with no slow down issues at all. Don't get me wrong, if Windows was more stable and didn't need so many third party bits and bobs (drivers etc) to work, I wouldn't bother with Apple kit.

Anyway I thought that if you connected an Iphone to a windows pc the the charging / sync wire, went into 'computer' the phone would be shown as a media device, its then just a case of locating the DCIM folder like on a digital camera

Oh and you forgot to say that Android is an absolute security nightmare due to the fact that every Tom Dick and Harry is allowed to develop apps for it with the source code being freely available, in fact it is thought that currently 99% of Android apps are vulnerable to attack and conversion to a trojan.

Still it sells the most units, so it must be the best eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Can it be done via dropbox?
    With my Android I have dropbox installed and as soon as it gets back on wifi it uploads any new pictures to a chosen folder on dropbox which can be accessed from any of the computers which have dropbox installed.
    this is exactly how i do it.
    couldnt be easier
    take photo, when phone finds a wifi, i transfers to dropbox
    then delete from phone.

just downloaded dropbox onto computer and app onto iphone so will see how it works

just downloaded dropbox onto computer and app onto iphone so will see how it works

Over the weekend I sorted Mrs ff's ipad out to do it the other way! activated her icloud account and installed icloud control panel for Windows on my laptop. ( http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/setup/pc.html and don't bother with itunes if you don't want it)

Control panel places folders in your photos folder, Photo Stream, with subfolders- My Photostream, upload & download Photostream is what you get saved on icloud and it on your apple device, put images in upload and they will appear on the ipad, put them in download on the ipad and they will arrive in the same folder on the laptop (must be images, apple seems unable to read/spot windows type folders!!)

ff

Dropbox seams to have worked do far, free app for phone and download for computer, tool a while to read the 62 pics on the phone but hopefully now if I have any new 1s it will download them automatically as soon as phone gets back onto wifi when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by jmm View Post
    Never had BSOD on this Mac though Mayo Win 7 pc in the office stared out well,it seemed like Mr Gates' firm had looked at OSX and copied some of the better bits and it was as fast as my Mac running Lion, then Mountain Lion, considering the Mac is an i7 and the pc is an i3 processor with the same amount of RAM, i was impressed, however the pc is now starting to get slower, with driver issues, sudden crashes and the occasional Blue Screen of Death wheras the Mac is still going at the same speed with no slow down issues at all. Don't get me wrong, if Windows was more stable and didn't need so many third party bits and bobs (drivers etc) to work, I wouldn't bother with Apple kit.

Anyway I thought that if you connected an Iphone to a windows pc the the charging / sync wire, went into 'computer' the phone would be shown as a media device, its then just a case of locating the DCIM folder like on a digital camera

Oh and you forgot to say that Android is an absolute security nightmare due to the fact that every Tom Dick and Harry is allowed to develop apps for it with the source code being freely available, in fact it is thought that currently 99% of Android apps are vulnerable to attack and conversion to a trojan.

Still it sells the most units, so it must be the best eh?
    for a PC will crush a Mac in any intensive application. I'd put money on it.

I have intensively used my PC now for some time, and never had a single error with the OS itself, over three separate pieces of hardware with clean installs each time. I have had third party applications throw errors or crash but nothing in Windows itself. Given the intense memory and CPU loadings involved with the games I run, It is hard to see how an everyday user could possibly give their machine any grief except by extreme user error?

Drivers are required to use third party hardware or other bolt ons. You can hardly expect MS to provide the software or firmware to run other peoples kit. I'd never rely on Apple (or MS actually) to provide this for me anyway, if you use a piece of kit from a third party, best to use the driver they provide for it. Whether it be a printer, SSD, graphics card etc. Using the (usually outdated) generics included in an OS installation usually gives less than perfect results.

I have about a dozen different drivers for my motherboard alone, all provided and updated periodically by its maker. The trouble is that you, in the apple camp, have absolutely no choice about what hardware you have and are paying a big sticker price for an apple logo on a box containing someone elses outmoded bits.

If you love the Apple OS so much, buy a PC and run OSX or Linux on it. You are not forced to use MS operating systems.

for a PC will crush a Mac in any intensive application. I'd put money on it.

I have intensively used my PC now for some time, and never had a single error with the OS itself, over three separate pieces of hardware with clean installs each time. I have had third party applications throw errors or crash but nothing in Windows itself. Given the intense memory and CPU loadings involved with the games I run, It is hard to see how an everyday user could possibly give their machine any grief except by extreme user error?

Drivers are required to use third party hardware or other bolt ons. You can hardly expect MS to provide the software or firmware to run other peoples kit. I'd never rely on Apple (or MS actually) to provide this for me anyway, if you use a piece of kit from a third party, best to use the driver they provide for it. Whether it be a printer, SSD, graphics card etc. Using the (usually outdated) generics included in an OS installation usually gives less than perfect results.

I have about a dozen different drivers for my motherboard alone, all provided and updated periodically by its maker. The trouble is that you, in the apple camp, have absolutely no choice about what hardware you have and are paying a big sticker price for an apple logo on a box containing someone elses outmoded bits.

If you love the Apple OS so much, buy a PC and run OSX or Linux on it. You are not forced to use MS operating systems.
    Tried using a PC for my main hobby, (music production),when i finally had to bin my Atari ST, got fed up with crashes, freezes, driver issues. Got a Mac, now i can run everything I need to, patched together if needs be with no problems at all, no need for AISO drivers for sound, as the Mac Core Audio is already in OSX,which is handy using controllers etc with built in sound cards, no glitchy stuttering audio output, no need to wait for drivers to download when you plug in USB peripherals. In short, it works and has done constantly since 2011, however my (same age) PC is so full of crap and bloated, i feel it is time for a clean install. Some of us don't want an overclocked racing machine that needs constant maintenance, we just want something that works, properly.

well any1 have the same trouble as i was with downloading from iphone 5 to PC with windows, i can confirm dropdox works, after downloading free app to phone and instaling on computer origional photos on phone were downloaded then i took another couple with phone the other day and as soon as i was back into house and phone picked up the wifi it downloaded the new pics automaticly into dropbox folder, just what i was looking for thanks to those who recomended it