Thread: John Deere 2140 Injection Pump

John Deere 2140 Injection Pump

Hello All,

I am removing the injector pump from a John Deere 2140 that seems to have an issue. I have undone all the injector lines, fuel feed and return plus the stop and throttle. Undone the three nuts holding it to the timing cover. I then tried to remove the pump but it does not want to come out/off.

I have looked on the John Deere parts website and this shows a larger timing gear held on by a nut and washer. Further inspection of the tractor I have found small plate on front on the timing cover (facing radiator) do I undo this to get to the nut.

One other point would be how do you hold the timing gear in place to make sure the pump goes back in place at the correct timing?

Thanks

http://www.agric.co.uk

Re: John Deere 2140 Injection Pump

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHaymaker View Post
    Hello All,

I am removing the injector pump from a John Deere 2140 that seems to have an issue. I have undone all the injector lines, fuel feed and return plus the stop and throttle. Undone the three nuts holding it to the timing cover. I then tried to remove the pump but it does not want to come out/off.

I have looked on the John Deere parts website and this shows a larger timing gear held on by a nut and washer. Further inspection of the tractor I have found small plate on front on the timing cover (facing radiator) do I undo this to get to the nut.

One other point would be how do you hold the timing gear in place to make sure the pump goes back in place at the correct timing?

Thanks

http://www.agric.co.uk
    You are being very brave, or even foolhardy in tackling this job without any experience. But you are doing the right thing by asking before plunging in and losing the timing. Hope someone with experience can help you.
    The Duck 2015

Ha! thanks, probably both!

Since the tractor stopped about two weeks ago, we've been all through the fuel system and the only thing left is the injector pump. Everyone now seems to agree that getting the pump looked at would be the next step. Although the advice given was mark pump and timing case so it goes back where it came from, undo take off.

Obviously John Deere's are slightly different as the pump doesn't slide off, seems to have a large timing gear on the end!! This seems lose as I can waggle the pump so dont want it to drop off into the sump or something else as stupid. It then occurred to me that this will need to go back on exactly the same tooth that it comes off of.

what problems were you having? and why's the drive gear loose??
    they might be related..

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    what problems were you having? and why's the drive gear loose??
    they might be related..
    Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago the tractor failed to start, just turned over and over. The day before it had took a little time to start each time the tractor was started, this is something it has never done before always started first turn of the key for years.

We have checked the pipes, lift pump, filter etc. We get diesel at the lift pump, at the filter, at the pump, out of the bleed screws and returning to the tank via the overflow. We undid an injector line at the injector and turned over the tractor, nothing cam out of the pipe only a drip. This is why we have decided that the injector pump could be the issue.

As to why the drive gear is loose I do not know yet as I ran out of light last night to take off the little plate on the front of the timing cover. I need to investigate that tonight.

Thanks.

The gear is not loose as it's on a tapers shaft on the end of the pump, as you've taken the three bolts off the pump, this is what has made the whole assembly loose. Yes you need to take the pump off in front of the pump on the timing cover, then remove the nut and washer, do not drop the washer. Then given the pump drive shaft a little tap with a copper hide hammer and she will come free. I cannot remember if she has to be in a particular position, but I doubt it.

Having removed the small cover at the front of the timing cover and then removed nut and washer. The shaft is set up for a gear puller, but a very small one. Does anyone know if this would be John Deere specific. Everyone's threaded gear puller I've talked to is far too large to fit. Width between the two threaded holes in the timing gear are about 30mm apart.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHaymaker View Post
    Having removed the small cover at the front of the timing cover and then removed nut and washer. The shaft is set up for a gear puller, but a very small one. Does anyone know if this would be John Deere specific. Everyone's threaded gear puller I've talked to is far too large to fit. Width between the two threaded holes in the timing gear are about 30mm apart.
    normally you can get a lever in between the pump and the timing case like a big screw driver or smallish pry bar take up the slack between pump gear and back of timing case then tap the end of the pump shaft with a copper hammer and pump will fly off as its a tapered fit. or you can bugger about with a suitable puller but by the time you have assembled the puller on the gear you could have tapped it with a copper hammer.

or you can do what I did for an Iveco engine which you cant get close enough to hit with a hammer. get a bit of flat plate drill your 2 holes in it at 30mm centres if that's what your gear is drilled too. then drill another hole in the centre of those too either thread the hole for a jacking stud/bolt or weld a nut on the plate if you have no taps.

Thank you Ace, chisel between injector pump and housing and sharp crack with hammer and punch released the pump. Man at re conditioners confirmed pump is the problem. The metering needle was stuck and pump full of muck (thirty years worth I would imagine) he's ordered the bits it needs should be ready Friday.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

A word of warning,there is a moderate risk the key will fall out of the tapered shaft into the timing cover as you pull the pump clear of the cog, it happened me once on a 3040 and I ended up having to remove the whole front of the tractor including 4wd axle tombstone diesel tank timing cover etc to fish the key out of the engine,which I can chuckle about now_ BUT IT WASN'T FUNNY AT THE TIME.
    I did think about buying another key and crossing my fingers but it wasn't my tractor.probably incredibly bad luck for the key to fall out but you have been warned.

The key is still in the end of the pump, been lucky there, about time I had some!!