Thread: Single Skin Oil Tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Single Skin Oil Tank

In the next few weeks we will be replacing our single skin 1300L domestic oil tank for a more secure bunded tank. Problem is - what to do with the old one!

Is it something that we need to dispose of or is there still a demand for single skin tanks? We are not sure what to do with it once it is removed from use - does anyone have any suggestions? We would be very happy to give it away to a good home if there are any takers ...........

Re: Single Skin Oil Tank

Quote Originally Posted by bracken basher View Post
    If you sell it and the buyer then doesn't want it, don't offer to sell it for him

Good luck..... May be different for you folks, but I can't even give mine away. I was told that if I had them professionally cleaned that I could have them picked up for free with the trash truck..... Brainstorming other uses for them now..... Think 1 or two will be grain bins and maybe a couple for rainwater...
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

I have a friend who is a one man band oil tank installer, so I asked him how he disposes of old plastic tanks.

He cuts them up into manageable pieces and takes them into our local council recycling centre, which has a skip for hard plastics. He has to be careful to take them in as a private individual and not make it obvious that he is in the trade.

About 20 miles away, there is quite a large tank installing company who will take them in for a charge of 15. However, they now require them to be cut into 12" squares. They send them to a company in Kidderminster, which turns recycled plastic into other products.

Kidderminster is in your part of the world Belle, so the solution could be on your doorstep.

Be sure not to keep it and throw it onto the next large pile of bushes you are burning...

Quote Originally Posted by farmer phil View Post
    If you sell it and the buyer then doesn't want it, don't offer to sell it for him
    LOL

I would possibly but the old one up somewhere with a very small amount of red in it, use it as a false Red Diesel Tank for when someone tries to nick your diesel :-(

Cut a door in the side and they make an excellent chemical store. Remember to wash out well before cutting otherwise you have a potential bomb.