Thread: Single Skin Oil Tank

Single Skin Oil Tank

In the next few weeks we will be replacing our single skin 1300L domestic oil tank for a more secure bunded tank. Problem is - what to do with the old one!

Is it something that we need to dispose of or is there still a demand for single skin tanks? We are not sure what to do with it once it is removed from use - does anyone have any suggestions? We would be very happy to give it away to a good home if there are any takers ...........

Re: Single Skin Oil Tank

Quote Originally Posted by bracken basher View Post
    If you sell it and the buyer then doesn't want it, don't offer to sell it for him

Good luck..... May be different for you folks, but I can't even give mine away. I was told that if I had them professionally cleaned that I could have them picked up for free with the trash truck..... Brainstorming other uses for them now..... Think 1 or two will be grain bins and maybe a couple for rainwater...
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

I have a friend who is a one man band oil tank installer, so I asked him how he disposes of old plastic tanks.

He cuts them up into manageable pieces and takes them into our local council recycling centre, which has a skip for hard plastics. He has to be careful to take them in as a private individual and not make it obvious that he is in the trade.

About 20 miles away, there is quite a large tank installing company who will take them in for a charge of 15. However, they now require them to be cut into 12" squares. They send them to a company in Kidderminster, which turns recycled plastic into other products.

Kidderminster is in your part of the world Belle, so the solution could be on your doorstep.

Be sure not to keep it and throw it onto the next large pile of bushes you are burning...

In the past we have generally cut them up with the plasma and re-use the best sizeable sheets, the internal cross bearers and top fittings get binned.

We have also cut the end off one, lengthened it and made a strong end door with double 5 lever mortice locks so that we could securely lock up a quad bike when we used to go bunny bashing a lot. We stopped anyone wandering off with it by digging out a place in the bund bank around the quarry, placed the "bike Tank" in the hole and then buried it except for the door. Looked like the entrance to a nuke bunker!

Recently our chap who does the pigeon scaring has used old tanks where we have had problems with vandalism, putting the gun, bottle and battery in an old tank with vents cut out for the barrel and any "lose" gas to vent, he then tack welds them secure and takes them out to the field on the loadall !

ff

Quote Originally Posted by farmer phil View Post
    If you sell it and the buyer then doesn't want it, don't offer to sell it for him
    LOL

I would possibly but the old one up somewhere with a very small amount of red in it, use it as a false Red Diesel Tank for when someone tries to nick your diesel :-(

Cut a door in the side and they make an excellent chemical store. Remember to wash out well before cutting otherwise you have a potential bomb.

Having re-read the original post, I realized that Belle did no say if the tank was a steel or a plastic one.

In replying, I had assumed that it was plastic, whilst other posters have made suggestions more suitable to steel tanks.

Steel tanks will always have some scrap value. I have cut the tops off, welded attachment points on each corner and used them as scrap bins. When full the tank and contents were taken to the scrap yard and lifted off the trailer with their big grab.

These days, plastic tanks come in various elaborate shapes, which can make the contents gauge highly inaccurate. This applies both to a sight tube as well as the electronic type. Being aware of this, I chose a vertical cylindrical plastic tank for my current domestic oil tank. Having been filled, for the first time, I dipped the tank and worked out that it contained 42.86 litres per inch of depth.

Now I can measure the contents accurately.

Despite having been set up as per the instructions, my electronic gauge is flashing a red light despite the fact that there are 600 litres in the tank. Such is progress.

If I was closer I'd have many uses for it plastic or steel plastic good clean then water or make into pig ark or something
    i have had 2 very large steel ones one I cut up for the sheet steel for alsorts other I cut half one side out and use it as a log store also used bad ones as scrap bins mate did it too was given one so he got it on his trailer took it home and set about gas axeing the top off I warned him 5 mins later we had a rageing incinerator on the trailer that was on the land rover never seen him panic so much while 2 of us fell about when we said told you so I got his power washer that's always setup and sorted the problem lol

I've got a round 2600 litre one to be moved on when my steel bunded one turns up.crop assurance man said I could no longer use it.anyone want it I'm in south Norfolk,or will wait till bonfire night
    nick.......

Can't you build a bund round the tank? We did this with heating oil tank it's like a small block work shed round it. I think bundled diesel tanks are a bit if a waste of time plastic tanks won't rot though like steel wouldn't the main reason for a spill be a puncture with something like a bales spike? If so you would puncture the outer skin too maybe save some of the spillage but depends how far down the hole was

I vote for a dummy tank with a bit of diesel with an additive in it that will wreck the thief's engine.

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

L. Sod we have a plastic tank which needs to be changed because the consequences of a catastrophic leak are too awful to even think about. House is down hill from the tank and our borehole is fairly close by. The current round tank is also slightly too large for it's plinth and a little distorted at the front as a result, making the possibility of a split more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse1 View Post
    I vote for a dummy tank with a bit of diesel with an additive in it that will wreck the thief's engine.
    Nice idea but my aged uncle would fill the tractors and or combine with it.

Steel Single Skin Oil Tanks. Fuel Tank Shop Supply a range of Steel Single Skin Oil Tanks for Domestic and Commercial Properties. Our Single Skin Steel Tanks range in size from 700 Litres to 60,000 Litres. Steel Single Skin Oil Tanks are suitable for domestic installations under certain conditions. Please email or phone 01643 704328 if you are not sure of the OFTEC Guidelines. Steel Single Skin Oil Tanks can be used in Commercial properties if you have a secondary bund built to hold 110% of the tanks contents.
    read more about
    Oil Lighten Skin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Be sure not to keep it and throw it onto the next large pile of bushes you are burning...
    Absolutely, be really, really, sure you don't do this!