Thread: Butterflies

Butterflies

Don't ever remember there being so many, especially tortoiseshell and peacocks.
    I'm sure it's all down to the good weather, but no doubt when they have a bad year 'modern farming practice' will be cited as a major reason.
    Mind they are particularly fond of patches of creeping thistle wot I am doing away with

Re: Butterflies

Yes , I have not seen so many for yrs , either ! Thats in sunny Shropshire

The Buddlia bushes are buzzing with them , I counted at least 15 very large peacocks and nearly as many Red Admirals too, a Brimstone and lots of Cabbage Whites .
    Not seen any painted Ladies though , and not so many Comma's which were quite numerous last year

I'm not that observant but I have only seen 1 comma but plenty of Peacock, some Red Adm, the odd small tort, few speckled wood but no Painted Ladies. A friend into the subject thinks it has turned out to be a good year and he is particularly interested in the beautiful purple emperor. Had an abundance of Burnett moths.

Only see Speckled Wood and lately Cabbage Whites here in North Pembrokeshire, no other species at all.

Thousands of cabbage whites here too, looks impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Wellies View Post
    Thousands of cabbage whites here too, looks impressive
    Same here in Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Don't ever remember there being so many, especially tortoiseshell and peacocks.
    I'm sure it's all down to the good weather, but no doubt when they have a bad year 'modern farming practice' will be cited as a major reason.
    Mind they are particularly fond of patches of creeping thistle wot I am doing away with
    Same here, sprayed some thistles yesterday and there was literally thousands of butterflies going up just in front of the sprayer, mostly dark brown in colour.

Yes there are butterflies everywhere up here this year, can't remember seeing so many for a long long time.