Thread: Matbro TS 280 Transmission

Matbro TS 280 Transmission

I have a 1996 Matbro TS280, it does work well, only it is slow, it will climb the silage pit during buckraking, however it is slow, lots of revs are required to climb. Is there anything easy I can do to fix it or is it a function of worn Torque converter and or clutch packs?
    I would be grateful for advice.

Re: Matbro TS 280 Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by devonjohn View Post
    I have a 1996 Matbro TS280, it does work well, only it is slow, it will climb the silage pit during buckraking, however it is slow, lots of revs are required to climb. Is there anything easy I can do to fix it or is it a function of worn Torque converter and or clutch packs?
    I would be grateful for advice.
    Worn TC. If the clutches were slipping, you'd have burnt them out in about 10mins on a clamp.

Were do I start!

Fuel boost diaphragm on injection pump failed so lack of engine power. Converters need power and speed to lock up.

Do a stall test engine flat out, hold brakes hard stick it in 3rd or 4th and engage forward drive, with the boom in the air and transmission guard off look out the side window and watch the engine to trans propshaft it should not be turning at all during a stall test. if it is then clutch packs and seals want doing and most definalty the converter pump too.

what does the transmission pressure gauge on the dash say? 150psi is good less than 100 is very bad. (they are not all accurate so best to plug another gauge in to compare)

could be worn torque converter, worn converter pump, worn clutch packs and seals, leaking worm gasket under forward/reverse solenoids. or a combination of all

proberly time for a complete trans over haul. so engine out to get at converter and transmission out to do the clutch packs not a five minute job.

the cheap skate way out be recon the transmission unit and fit a new converter pump with out taking the engine out but best to do the converter too.

take the transmission filter out is the oil in the bottom of the canister grey and merky? Metal if so. there is also a suction filter in the bottom of the transmission behind the big suction hose at the bottom of trans.

We've had a 96 Matbro TS280 since 2001
    We "replaced" it with a Manitou 741-120 LSU April 2012, but kept the Matbro as it was worth more to us than selling it

We only used the Matbro for one season on the clamp when we first had it, a decent tractor with loader or front linkage would easily out-perform it. Less revving = a lot less diesel used & an easier job done

pushed the odd load with the Manitou but again tractor & loader a much better job

just my 2p worth

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Were do I start!

Fuel boost diaphragm on injection pump failed so lack of engine power. Converters need power and speed to lock up.

Do a stall test engine flat out, hold brakes hard stick it in 3rd or 4th and engage forward drive, with the boom in the air and transmission guard off look out the side window and watch the engine to trans propshaft it should not be turning at all during a stall test. if it is then clutch packs and seals want doing and most definalty the converter pump too.

what does the transmission pressure gauge on the dash say? 150psi is good less than 100 is very bad. (they are not all accurate so best to plug another gauge in to compare)

could be worn torque converter, worn converter pump, worn clutch packs and seals, leaking worm gasket under forward/reverse solenoids. or a combination of all

proberly time for a complete trans over haul. so engine out to get at converter and transmission out to do the clutch packs not a five minute job.

the cheap skate way out be recon the transmission unit and fit a new converter pump with out taking the engine out but best to do the converter too.

take the transmission filter out is the oil in the bottom of the canister grey and merky? Metal if so. there is also a suction filter in the bottom of the transmission behind the big suction hose at the bottom of trans.

My 270 hi torque got a complete overhaul after finding plenty of metal in the filter housing

It is a different beast now, the tranny temp hardly moves at all, where it was getting overheated a lot, not cheap but worth it and while the engine was out it had new mounts and a recon rad, plus a few other bits and pieces, all in it came to close to 5k with labour and parts.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    My 270 hi torque got a complete overhaul after finding plenty of metal in the filter housing

It is a different beast now, the tranny temp hardly moves at all, where it was getting overheated a lot, not cheap but worth it and while the engine was out it had new mounts and a recon rad, plus a few other bits and pieces, all in it came to close to 5k with labour and parts.
    hello badshot your hi torque is a different transmission to the OP's TS280 but the same still applies for both machines.

hello badshot your hi torque is a different transmission to the OP's TS280 but the same still applies for both machines.

Hello Ace, Your recommended man done a top job on the rebuild, I reckon it's better than new. The tranny in mine seems to be different from any other handler ever made. Still got fixed though
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    Hello Ace, Your recommended man done a top job on the rebuild, I reckon it's better than new. The tranny in mine seems to be different from any other handler ever made. Still got fixed though
    your trany is the same as all the JD built handlers (Spicer Turner) just need to watch the dipstick length on the JD's as some are too short so hold about 6 or 7 litres of oil less than they should!

He did one off a TS290 for me earlier this year were the top input shaft bearing has failed and chewed the casing, rebored the casing and sleaved it. jobs a gooden.

Hi.
    I'm sorry to reply to an old thread.... But here goes!
    1997 ts270 started losing power on clamp work, half way up the pit engine revs die and she will not climb any further.
    We have checked, replaced or cleaned all the usual things i.e. diesel filter, gauzes ect
    Hoping it might be something simple before we look into injector pump and or injectors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Do not condemn me for the things I have done wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by 40serieslover View Post
    Hi.
    1997 ts270 started losing power on clamp work, half way up the pit engine revs die and she will not climb any further.
    We have checked, replaced or cleaned all the usual things i.e. diesel filter, gauzes ect
    Hoping it might be something simple before we look into injector pump and or injectors.

Supply the fuel system from a clean container as a test.

If the engine runs ok, clean the tank.

I speak from experience!

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Thanks for the reply, I don't understand why it's only running bad under load, doesn't miss a beat any other time.
    Do not condemn me for the things I have done wrong...

Thanks for the reply, I don't understand why it's only running bad under load, doesn't miss a beat any other time.
    Maybe there's is just enough restriction to the fuel supply to prevent full flow under load.

I'm guessing, of course, but a separate supply direct to the new fuel filters would help to isolate the problem.

My experience was that the engine would die under load, but there was no discernible pattern to when it happened.

Eventually convinced myself the tank had to be emptied & cleaned, and that solved the problem. As I remember, there was a leaf of some sort which came out, and I suspect it was sucked across the outlet which did not have a pencil type gauze inlet.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Hi.

boost diaghram on side of injector pump, rubber perished and you get no extra fuel when turbo on boost.

boost diaghram on side of injector pump, rubber perished and you get no extra fuel when turbo on boost.
    YEP.
    Remember it well now, "plenty of revs but no power".
    From memory not mega bucks to fix!

Hi.
    I bought used 1997 matbro ts280 this spring.
    Replaced TC and cluch packs on it because it cant pull himself uphill,and it was much better.
    Than 2 weeks ago engine started feel weak, thanks to this forum it was Fuel boost diaphragm.
    Fixed it, and now during stall test in 3rd its slipping cluch packs.
    replaced gasket and o-rings under revers solenoids,still same problem.

Are there something more to check? or need to open trans again.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsS View Post
    Hi.
    I bought used 1997 matbro ts280 this spring.
    Replaced TC and cluch packs on it because it cant pull himself uphill,and it was much better.
    Than 2 weeks ago engine started feel weak, thanks to this forum it was Fuel boost diaphragm.
    Fixed it, and now during stall test in 3rd its slipping cluch packs.
    replaced gasket and o-rings under revers solenoids,still same problem.

Are there something more to check? or need to open trans again.

do a proper transmission overhaul, with a dyno test after to prove its right.

Not uncommon to have to bore and sleeve the casings for the bearings when they are worn. also replace the transmission pump.
    Did you get the right torque converter? there are different stall angles which will make a difference.