Thread: Walker Loss's / Combine setting...(Deere W series)

Walker Loss's / Combine setting...(Deere W series)

Having a bit of trouble with the combine this year (2 years old, such crap harvest last year wasnt really much to go by...), seem to be having trouble keeping grain off the walkers....Heavy crop granted, and we are cutting it low for straw, but im sure the girl would eat more than I am if i could keep it off the walkers but having the crawl along at the moment or else the loss monitors on the walkers go mad, and sure enough if you look on the ground, its loosing corn...

Cutting winter barley mainly at the moment, good sample, good straw (not beaten to hell) etc, going downhill you can get it going better (as expected with walker machine) but on the level anything over 2.3-2.5 ground speed and the walker monitors on fire, and look at an uphill bit, and its even worse....its a hillmaster W540 i should add with back axle up as high as i can make it...not talking about major hills here with regards to driving up and down, just light inclines really...didnt use to effect the 1177 much at all...

Been in the back today to investigate, seems the "curtain" behind the beater is much further back than what it was on the old machine, there apearrs to be some bungs further fowards, does anyone know if its possible to move this curtain fowards closer to the beater? And if it would help? Walkers appear to have the large sqaure hole plates every other, so would expect plenty of material to be falling thro rather than getting stuck in the matt / out the back....

Any ideas welcome as would like to push on a bit harder really if possible!

Re: Walker Loss's / Combine setting...(Deere W series)

If you have not already , try closing the concave to get more grain through it. also consider a booster bar that you fit through the stone trap. it is a bit harder on the straw but made a huge difference to the neighbours wts that used to cut here.

I still think the old fashioned cross shakers in the likes of the 2200series worked better than the power tine separator . I am convinced the tine separator is too far back and throws grain out with the straw.

If you do a lot of hill work a serrated grain pan below the walkers also helps. not sure what models have what but the smooth grain pan would build up going up hills and then over load the sieves . the serrated one keeps the flow moving forward.

Check the curtains arnt rolled and cable tied like the a few new machines I went to that were doing that drum was throwing grain straight on to walkers cut cable ties problem sorted

hi we had a wts once and it was a nightmare for grain over straw walkers wts Want Thrash Straw

Made a bit of progress....

Have already tried all sorts of setups with the drum speed / clearance, but never really giving much gain...tried putting de awning plates in / out, we have said booster bar bolted underneath the feeder house, might try this?

I have moved the curtain above the walkers from the back holes, to the front...I think thats helped slightly, Has anyone ever seen one with both curtains fitted at same time up above walkers? Just wonder if it might be worth getting another to try....

I have the serrated pan under the walkers already, and this is where the next problem appears, does anyone have a photo of the rear of this pan? The appears to be a line of holes along the back of this, but nothing bolted to it, and ive noticed even on level ground, material is coming off the rear of this, and landing on the back / floor! This surely has to be throwing grain off the back going up hill...admitantly it doesnt explain the sensors going mad but im sure its not right, Should there be something at the back off this pan to prevent material simply falling off the back of it?

hi forgot to say try removing the 2 rows of plugs in the back of concave it lets the grain out of the straw

Could anyone else with a machine like this (Any T/W series) tell me if they have a plate on the back of the pan under the walkers...or is it just the pan, and then level right off the back?

This is an interesting thread as we have a new model 2012 W550 and I'm experiencing similar problems on our machine.
    last year was a really poor season and took us the whole season to get it to perform anything like what it should do, but we're not there yet. We have the booster bar fitted and it makes a tremendous difference to the combine. We only harvest spring barley and oats, but they're pretty difficult to thresh. i would fit the booster bar as it will allow the concave to run further open and get more material through the machine. The combine threshes perfect as the every grain is striped off of the head and we run the concave at 16/17 mm spacing with booster bar fitted.

The problem is shaking the grain out of the straw especially in damp conditions. i have been told that a W series should have next to no grain loss via the sieves as the capacity of the sieves is much greater than that of the separator as the sieve set up comes out of the CTS combines. We were told by john deere to fit straw walker extensions a.k.a - fish backs [ as found in the parts book in the straw walker section ]. This is supposed to help this problem in soft conditions which we regularly experience in the north of scotland, however i would think this should help in any conditions as your effectively adding an extra step to the machine. After much debate as to where to fit them we did eventually fit them for this season on the fourth walker step as this was jd's recommendation. However, once they were fitted we discovered that the grid that they were fitted on to was choking up with chaff build up. This leads me to think that the grids on top of the walkers are not letting the grain through. there are three if not four of these grids in the machine, the rest of the 11 walker steps are bigger inch or larger squares. During the process of trying to establish where the fish backs should go i spoke to netherton tractors and the mechanic i spoke to told me on some 2nd hand machines the grids had to be replaced as they wern't suitible for the crops that the customer intended to harvest i.e. cereals. another tip i was told was to reduce the spacing between the straw beater and the beater gate from 75mm to 65mm by redrilling holes on the linkage which holds the gate in place.

To me the threshing is spot on and the sieves are spot on, the problem is that the returns over load the walkers and the key obviously is to get the grain out. I'm going to make some new grids with larger openings and hopefully the grain will get out.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheEdge View Post
    This is an interesting thread as we have a new model 2012 W550 and I'm experiencing similar problems on our machine.
    last year was a really poor season and took us the whole season to get it to perform anything like what it should do, but we're not there yet. We have the booster bar fitted and it makes a tremendous difference to the combine. We only harvest spring barley and oats, but they're pretty difficult to thresh. i would fit the booster bar as it will allow the concave to run further open and get more material through the machine. The combine threshes perfect as the every grain is striped off of the head and we run the concave at 16/17 mm spacing with booster bar fitted.

The problem is shaking the grain out of the straw especially in damp conditions. i have been told that a W series should have next to no grain loss via the sieves as the capacity of the sieves is much greater than that of the separator as the sieve set up comes out of the CTS combines. We were told by john deere to fit straw walker extensions a.k.a - fish backs [ as found in the parts book in the straw walker section ]. This is supposed to help this problem in soft conditions which we regularly experience in the north of scotland, however i would think this should help in any conditions as your effectively adding an extra step to the machine. After much debate as to where to fit them we did eventually fit them for this season on the fourth walker step as this was jd's recommendation. However, once they were fitted we discovered that the grid that they were fitted on to was choking up with chaff build up. This leads me to think that the grids on top of the walkers are not letting the grain through. there are three if not four of these grids in the machine, the rest of the 11 walker steps are bigger inch or larger squares. During the process of trying to establish where the fish backs should go i spoke to netherton tractors and the mechanic i spoke to told me on some 2nd hand machines the grids had to be replaced as they wern't suitible for the crops that the customer intended to harvest i.e. cereals. another tip i was told was to reduce the spacing between the straw beater and the beater gate from 75mm to 65mm by redrilling holes on the linkage which holds the gate in place.

To me the threshing is spot on and the sieves are spot on, the problem is that the returns over load the walkers and the key obviously is to get the grain out. I'm going to make some new grids with larger openings and hopefully the grain will get out.
    Very interesting to read from somewhere with near enough an identical machine, ours is also a new 2012 model, but slightly less hp being 540 model, not that hp really appears to ever be an issue.

I will get the booster bar fitted and see if we can notice any change, as you say, the sieves are no problem AT all, not loosing a grain over them / easily in capacity, just throwing it over the walkers....Our machine seems to have the large square hole every other step on the walkers, this the same in yours? The holes look huge to be fair, hence just cant understand how the grain is going up over them, I honestly just think there not steep enough alot of the time, but axle isjacked right up, and cant see any other options...let me know how you get on....

I find the best way to increase performance of a John Deere walker combine is to roundup the crop before harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmer View Post
    I find the best way to increase performance of a John Deere walker combine is to roundup the crop before harvest.
    Defo makes a difference as we round up ours at 1kg/ha and straw quality is superb, however still not getting the forward speed out of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenjlobb View Post
    Our machine seems to have the large square hole every other step on the walkers, this the same in yours? The holes look huge to be fair, hence just cant understand how the grain is going up over them, I honestly just think there not steep enough alot of the time, but axle isjacked right up, and cant see any other options...let me know how you get on....
    Yes this sounds the same. our axle is also jacked up fully. thought the walker step extensions would solve this but i think the grids are part of the problem too. will hopefully get a chance to make up some new grids this week and give that a go.

Let us know how you get on....dealer is waste of my time.

If you get a chance. stand in the engine compartment of a old deere with walker hood open. watch the cross shaker in the back and then do the same with yours.

im convinced the separator grabs the straw into clumps and throws it over the back rather than fluffing it up to remove grains .

It's not a NH with a rotary seperator so the options are limited,roundup, wait till its dryer,leave a couple more inches of stubble, its better to service than a NH so you can start a bit sooner,swings and roundabouts.