Thread: What Lighting?

What Lighting?

Need to put up some lighting in a small lambing shed 10m x 5m, and for a small outside yard ~ 12m x12m.

What type of lights to use?

Advice appreciated!

TIA

PS: there was a great thread about all this on the old forum, sadly lost!

Re: What Lighting?

Up until recently I'd have said Metal Halide floodlights. 70w or 150w would be enough for that size of area unless you need it really bright.

BUT I was on a farm the other day and they had LED floods up , kind of replacements for a 500w halogen, maybe 20 or 30w and I was really impressed how good they were, instant on too which is dead handy compared to the Sodium/Halide ones.

I put four of these up in our 80' x 50' cubicle house and they are really pretty good
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Floodl...-/230843628438

I got the 10 watt ones as I really only need see if something is thinking of calving or bullling, you might want to go up to 20w or 30w, but the 10w is bright enough unless say you needed to read a metal tag.
    The best thing is the instant on at full brightness regardless of temperature - plus if you want to leave them on all night odd times the running cost is negligible.
    The cool white ones are a little harsh and blueish, but do give good colour.
    I might have gone for the warmer version with hindsight.

The units are small enough to fit in your hand and seem more substantial than the cheaper halogen ones you see.
    The mounting brackets are a little lightweight, but will last many years if somewhere they won't get bumped.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I put four of these up in our 80' x 50' cubicle house and they are really pretty good
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Floodl...-/230843628438

I got the 10 watt ones as I really only need see if something is thinking of calving or bullling, you might want to go up to 20w or 30w, but the 10w is bright enough unless say you needed to read a metal tag.
    The best thing is the instant on at full brightness regardless of temperature - plus if you want to leave them on all night odd times the running cost is negligible.
    The cool white ones are a little harsh and blueish, but do give good colour.
    I might have gone for the warmer version with hindsight.

The units are small enough to fit in your hand and seem more substantial than the cheaper halogen ones you see.
    The mounting brackets are a little lightweight, but will last many years if somewhere they won't get bumped.
    I do professional research on LEDs for room lighting, and believe it or not, am therefore rather hesitant about posting on such things, as there is far too much bullshit posted about lighting systems. However, I think I can ethically support another member's post, and do so with 4WD's above.

I have similar leds to 4wd, 30w dimmable, I find that they throw down a hotspot of light and dont reflect much side ways. A inch square piece of white tape right in the center of the light improves things dramatically. the tape allows some light through but bounces lots more back to the reflector. the lense doesn't get hot so the tape if fine.
    The energy savings over (old) dimmable flourescents are very impressive and in a poultry shed the lights are on 18-24 hours a day so the savings stack up well.
    There are better leds out there now with much improved diffusion of light but at a price.