Thread: Fordson major chassis number????

Fordson major chassis number????

Where can I find the serial/chassis number on a Fordson Major?

The reason I ask is that I've been told its an early one but seems to have later bits and bobs on it so not sure of its age!

Re: Fordson major chassis number????

Ford used the engine number as the tractor number on Majors. On Diesel Majors there is an aluminum plate mounted on the engine side on right hand of the battery firewall plate . The engine number is stamped on a machined flat on the right hand side of the upper engine block between #1 & #2.

These two numbers should coincide but in service many engines were replaced.

For true dating use the casting numbers off the engine, clutch housing and rear axle. The tractors were built in such numbers that the casting numbers will be very close to each other. Its doubtful if the axle & gearbox have been changed so this will give you a date of manufacture within a few days.

Casting number locations:-

engine = front left hand side of block
    gearbox = left side behind the clutch lever linkage {going from pedal up to clutch housing
    rear axle = left side under footplate near front of trumpet housing

The casting letters & numbers are in raised characters

example CV03V = March 3rd 1954

Post YOUR casting numbers and tractor number on here and I'll date your tractor

Hello. I am very new to forums, this is the first one I have ever joined! I have an E1A Major that doesn't appear to have ever been registered and I would like to get it registered so that I can take it on the road. The only problem is it seems to have had a power major engine put in as the engine number according to tractor data suggests it's a power major and it also has a taco drive on the side of the engine where my tractor doesn't have a clock on the dash. The engine number is 1497044. The casting is on the rear axle are all I have to go on to date it and these appear to be E1AOKN 4025 T1 and A19G I think underneath that. If anyone could help I would be very grateful. Thank you

This is useful:

http://www.selen.nu/cgi-bin/trnr.pl?lang=en

I wonder if the G you have posted is a C as G does not appear to have been used. A19C would tie up with the engine no dating it as a Jan 1959 tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by WIZZO View Post
    Ford used the engine number as the tractor number on Majors. On Diesel Majors there is an aluminum plate mounted on the engine side on right hand of the battery firewall plate . The engine number is stamped on a machined flat on the right hand side of the upper engine block between #1 & #2.

These two numbers should coincide but in service many engines were replaced.

For true dating use the casting numbers off the engine, clutch housing and rear axle. The tractors were built in such numbers that the casting numbers will be very close to each other. Its doubtful if the axle & gearbox have been changed so this will give you a date of manufacture within a few days.

Casting number locations:-

engine = front left hand side of block
    gearbox = left side behind the clutch lever linkage {going from pedal up to clutch housing
    rear axle = left side under footplate near front of trumpet housing

The casting letters & numbers are in raised characters

example CV03V = March 3rd 1954

Post YOUR casting numbers and tractor number on here and I'll date your tractor
    Thank you my number are Gearbox number is 7007f 3E3. Axle number is 4025
    T1. T1
    colin

We have an engine number of S42 8894 and not sure what year as we need to get an engine rebuild kit can anyone help please
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Richanderton View Post
    We have an engine number of S42 8894 and not sure what year as we need to get an engine rebuild kit can anyone help please
    Thank you
    Pretty sure that engine numbers starting wit an S are replacement engines. do you have any pictures?