Thread: New Holland TS110 lost power

New Holland TS110 lost power

Hello from the states. You fellas have more experience with New Holland than over here, and this tractor was mfd in Basildon. TS100 New Holland 2 WD tractor w/ 16x16 trans, cab w/air, & loader attached. Engine starts easily and seems to rev up to full throttle ok.. After about 10 minutes of running, under a light load it begins to pull down and acts as if there is no governor available. Tractor has 2293 hours and uses no oil. I have replaced the fuel lift pump twice in last week and replaced filters. It has a new Delphi inj pump installed at about 1550 hours, new fuel lift pump was installed at 1555 hours. Tractor is serviced and maintained regularly. When connected to 648 New Holland Baler, It will barely go up an incline when baling. When traveling in high gear on roadway, it will pull down to 1500 RPM on slight incline. Works fine for about 10 minutes after starting, then begins to have no power. After running about 30 minutes, I could lay my hand on the injector pump, but the fuel shutoff solenoid almost burned my finger. I have kept the filters changed and the fuel clean, so I cannot believe the pump needs rebuilding unless the Delphi pump is a pile of crap to start with. The original pump self destructed at 1550 hours, requiring a new pump. The load is not excessive as the tractor was pulling the same load fine 2 days earlier. I have sealed all possible leaks around the primary filter, and find no wet spots when pressurizing the tank. Is it possible that the shut off solenoid is bad since it is getting hot? I am about to pull the tank and check the intake line in the tank, it is all that is left.

Re: New Holland TS110 lost power

If you suspect the fuel shut off solenoid then remove it, remove the plunger inside and re fit without plunger. You won't be able to stop engine with key then but will eliminate shut off solenoid.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pūr o'r pridd

Vent for the fuel tank blocked ? Have seen a jd 6210 suck its tank in with the same problem. Does the fuel tank cap hiss if you open it after use ?

Quote Originally Posted by happy hillbily View Post
    Vent for the fuel tank blocked ? Have seen a jd 6210 suck its tank in with the same problem. Does the fuel tank cap hiss if you open it after use ?
    I have blown air in the tank vent and in fact tried it with the tank vent open with no results> Thanks for the reply...

Hello from the states. You fellas have more experience with New Holland than over here, and this tractor was mfd in Basildon.
    You'd be surprised from where over europe the parts come for Basildon to assemble!

Quote Originally Posted by damengineer View Post
    I have blown air in the tank vent and in fact tried it with the tank vent open with no results> Thanks for the reply...

Why not rule out the fuel tank/lines by rigging up a clean temporary fuel tank (ie- 25ltr drum?) and connecting it to the filter inlet/priming pump? See how it goes, but at least it will rule that out.

Another "trick" is to insert a section of clear PVC hose on the pipe feeding the fuel pump, then you can see if there are bubbles from either a leak or if the feed is blocked, the injection pump is sucking hard enough to make a vacuum

ff

G'day Cecil

haven't seen your name come up until now, so welcome to the BFF. You'll find a wealth of info here from the BFF Brains Trust.

I'm not familiar with your tractor, but from my experience recently, it sounds like fuel starvation. My guess is a blockage of some sort, somewhere. Could be a mongrel to find, but I'd go with Footsfitter's suggestion of a temporary alternative fuel supply to progressively eliminate parts of the system.

JV

I'd concur, we had the same trouble with an older IH. It would run great until the filter can was drained. By the time you'd take everything apart the filter was refilled from the tank. Found head of timothy hay in the suction line from tank with bunch of crap caught behind it. We had blown air back from filter to tank a couple of times that would fix it for a tank or two then the crap would suck back in.

The solenoid would need sorted first.Shouldn't get so hot.
    Have you checked the gauze filter in the inlet end of the injector pump? Also check the rubber olives on the fuel lines are intact.Had that problem with my 8240,in that a piece of rubber had came adrift and partially blocked the pipe.Also had one damaged that was acting like a flap inside the end of the pipe.The primer would push fuel through but the inj pump couldn't suck it through.An air line onto the pipes will clear them but not too much pressure.Don't pressurise the primer on top of the filter with the air line though as it will blow the sh&t out of the seals!

If you you have tried blowing back down the fuel line into the tank and that there is nothing floating around, then I would remove the small tap that comes up from the tank into the sediment bowl, remove the pipe and then remove the tap. Also make sure there is no blockage into the top of that filter where the tap goes into it. Have a good check around the top of the main filter head, I have had 60 series crack inside there before and cause issues. The filters are the correct ones? Also had issues with that before with the wrong mircos one being fitted. Although they are not the best fuel pumps in the world, the usual signs of them failing are when the revs shut back they try and stall. If you think some think is sticking in the fuel pump, then maybe put a couple of litres of engine oil in the fuel, that's what the local CAV agent has told some TM users over here to do if you get fuel pumps sticking. If the fuel stop solenoid is playing up it would either stop or petter out.
    I know this sounds stupid, but is it the engine that isn,t reving up? If you dip the clutch pedal does it rev up then? Only I had a 8340 once that the handbrake cables had seized on and were causing the brakes to bind, once hot(10 minutes) that would cause the tractor to not want to pull or rev up when moving?

I've had this on a few Ts series. Plastic shards in all of them jammed in pipe just before the filter. They came from the tank moulding.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 7840 View Post
    I've had this on a few Ts series. Plastic shards in all of them jammed in pipe just before the filter. They came from the tank moulding.

Rob.
    I think you hit the nail on the head...

I pressurized the tank again and this time removed the line at the sediment bowl. Fuel barely trickled. I then built a better connection to the fuel line and blew back to the tank. Some pressure built up before I heard the blockage break loose. Since I need the tractor, I will remove the tank later and find what was causing the blockage. If this happens again, I can blow out the line. I panicked because this was my only tractor left to use, and it has cost a fortune to repair in the past. I know I had blown out the line earlier, but I did not have a good connection to the line to blow out the blockage.

Thanks to everyone for the help.