Thread: Log Gasification Boilers

Log Gasification Boilers

I'm about to start looking into getting a log boiler to heat the house and do the hot water, but before I even ring any companies I wanted to hear if anyone has any experience with log boilers?

Who should to avoid? How realistic the payback periods are? The cost of the installation? And any other bits of info that would be useful to know before I start getting quotes.

Thanks

Re: Log Gasification Boilers

Just read all the other threads on this renewables section, should help you?

I couldn't see anything relating to log boilers? I might not be looking hard enough...

Specifically I've been looking at Eco Angus so far

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I couldn't see anything relating to log boilers? I might not be looking hard enough...

Dragon is one Farm 2000 is another, etc.etc
    Farm Scale installations

Those are 2 large scale biomass boilers, I'm looking at domestic/small scale commercial log boilers. I have a large amount of firewood available on farm that just needs to be processed, I'm looking for the most efficient way to use that firewood supply

apparetly log burners are a pain to load you have to stack and pack the logs not just chuck them in, otherwise the fire burns without control,

Those are 2 large scale biomass boilers, I'm looking at domestic/small scale commercial log boilers. I have a large amount of firewood available on farm that just needs to be processed, I'm looking for the most efficient way to use that firewood supply
    They have a range from small to larger boilers.

Gasification boilers are completely different beasts to dragons etc. they are high efficiency clean burning boilers.

Dragons will always be fairly basic and inefficient and now doubtfully for rhi.

[QUOTE=kennyo;191741]Gasification boilers are completely different beasts to dragons etc. they are high efficiency clean burning boilers.

That's an interesting comment by kennyo. As I read the subject line, the OP was asking a different question to the usual that we see, and I took "gasification" to mean the high tech stuff.

As I understand it, wood & similar biomass does not "burn" (! bear with me!). The heat of combustion turns the fuel to gas, and it is that which burns.

Thus, I take 'gasification" to mean a burner system which has more than one chamber: the fuel chamber where the fuel is turned to a gas, and a second combustion chamber where it burns & produces heat.

As I understand it, controlling such systems is not easy. Forty years ago I saw a system (Waterwheel, from memory) in NZ which the developer was trying to control mechanically, and not succeeding. Control of the mix of air & heat to initiate and then maintain the gasification of the fuel and thus the amount of gas produced & thus regulate the heat output, was the problem. Having to reload the fuel - and perhaps having fuel of variable quality - tended to make the system unstable. Maybe it could be done by someone in continuous attendance (as would have been the case for vehicle mounted gas producers in WWII) but to load it leave it was a not goer. Hope someone has managed to do it, coz it would produce optimum use of fuel.

Researchers in a number of places (and certainly in Aus) are working on pyrolysis, which I think has a great future.

Pyrolysis involves heating a carbon based fuel in a controlled manner and atmosphere so that a flammable gas is produced. This is oxidised (burned) to produce process heat and biochar is the second product. This is being touted as a super soil additive, (known widely as terra preta) but I'm not sure if anyone has yet explained how it works, although it apparently does.

The Aus company doing the research has developed demonstration versions of a continuous pyrolysis unit suited for largish scale use. I'm hoping for a farm scale unit, which will produce electricity (using a Stirling engine, maybe?) plus heat plus biochar.

JV

a pellet boiler works in a similar way, much of the heat is produced in the chamber above the actual fuel fire, the pellets give off the gas when heated and this burns on its way out of the boiler, a lamdda sensor contols the combustion fans to give the correct burn, unless logs are tightly packed in a gasifaction boiler then getting the oxygen mix correct isnt possible.

I have limited knowledge of this only from chatting to the guy who set my pellet boilers up, he also works with log boilers.

Some reading

http://www.ecoangus.co.uk/angus_super_boiler.html

As a point of note I have a dragon and after 4 years I certainly feel like a slave to it when she is going and look forward to spring! Hoping to get a nice big accumulator fitted to it soon which should give us more control.

We have a 90 kw central boiler to heat 4 houses.
    runs on solid wood which we cut to 8-900mm and split a 10 inch log in half.
    although if wood is bone dry you can throw 12 inch diameter lengths in no probs.
    fill it up once every 3 days in summer running it on pure soft wood.
    when its cold once a day..
    prob be twice a day when it's in minus figures and prob have to mix some hardwood in to make it last longer.
    very pleased with it so far.
    boiler cost 15000
    inststsll just over 25000...
    more than welcome to have look if down this way

I installed a Eco Angus 80 kw boiler and 5000 litre accumulator tank last year. It heats a 6 bedroom farmhouse and 2 holiday cottages. In order for the gasification process to work correctly you really need well seasoned wood ( 20% dm). Last winter I did not have enough well seasoned wood and so ended up using Ash at about 30% dm. The boiler worked but just took longer to get into gasification mode and used more wood than it would have if the wood had been dryer. For a gasifying boiler to work properly it should burn hard and fast and heat an accumulator tank. This water in the tank is then used to heat DHW and central heating. During the summer I have been firing up the boiler twice a week and this provides DHW for 6 bathrooms, but during winter the boiler needs firing every day and during the really cold spell I was doing 2 fill ups, total burn time about 12 hours. We have about 40 acres of woodland so sourcing the wood is no problem but it is a lot of work to cut up and store and if you go away you need someone else to fuel the boiler or have a backup system. With rhi payments and fuel savings I reckon payback of 3 years . Capital cost was 30k but I installed it my self with help of local plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    I installed a Eco Angus 80 kw boiler and 5000 litre accumulator tank last year. It heats a 6 bedroom farmhouse and 2 holiday cottages. In order for the gasification process to work correctly you really need well seasoned wood ( 20% dm). Last winter I did not have enough well seasoned wood and so ended up using Ash at about 30% dm. The boiler worked but just took longer to get into gasification mode and used more wood than it would have if the wood had been dryer. For a gasifying boiler to work properly it should burn hard and fast and heat an accumulator tank. This water in the tank is then used to heat DHW and central heating. During the summer I have been firing up the boiler twice a week and this provides DHW for 6 bathrooms, but during winter the boiler needs firing every day and during the really cold spell I was doing 2 fill ups, total burn time about 12 hours. We have about 40 acres of woodland so sourcing the wood is no problem but it is a lot of work to cut up and store and if you go away you need someone else to fuel the boiler or have a backup system. With rhi payments and fuel savings I reckon payback of 3 years . Capital cost was 30k but I installed it my self with help of local plumber.
    Hi JGL,

It would be good to take a look at your installation if possible. I'm just looking at getting an 80ks Super Angus.

Regards
    Bert

Hi,
    I am currently writing a dissertation on the uptake of microgeneration (small renewable energy systems). I have got a survey below and it would be really helpful if anyone could spare 5 minutes to fill it in! Ideally, I would get a mix of people who do and don't have microgeneration systems! The survey is anonymous!

https://goo.gl/forms/1OQTL3yWUDJMVs8M2

Thanks in advance!

Hector