Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: 150kw Vs 225kw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Angel Beach Antrim
    Posts
    1,307

    150kw Vs 225kw

    is it too over simplictic to say that a 150kw will produce 2/3 the power of a 225kw wind turbine if they were on the same site.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    84

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    is it too over simplictic to say that a 150kw will produce 2/3 the power of a 225kw wind turbine if they were on the same site.
    Yes because I would imagine both Turbines would have a different Power Curve. Output & Yield is dependent on swept area of the blades, rather than rated power of the generator

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    90

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    It really can vary depending on the site. On a lower wind speed site the 150kW is likely to perform better - I know of a 150kW and a 225kW in close proximity and both outputs are very very similar. However, on a good site the 225 will probably "run away" on the 150

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    94

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_tdi View Post
    It really can vary depending on the site. On a lower wind speed site the 150kW is likely to perform better - I know of a 150kW and a 225kW in close proximity and both outputs are very very similar. However, on a good site the 225 will probably "run away" on the 150
    Hmmm, yes and no. It depends on the turbine. Blade length is the single most important factor, but size of generator matters too. Some turbines cut in at a lower windspeed than others but it's not that great a difference. 2 turbines in close proximity can have very different microclimates also, but for any single site the 225kW is "likely" to perform better.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    90

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrohl View Post
    Hmmm, yes and no. It depends on the turbine. Blade length is the single most important factor, but size of generator matters too. Some turbines cut in at a lower windspeed than others but it's not that great a difference. 2 turbines in close proximity can have very different microclimates also, but for any single site the 225kW is "likely" to perform better.
    The two turbines I mention are a 27m blade dia 225kW and a 24m blade dia 150kW. The 225 is doing circa 50k per annum and the 150 is doing 53k. The problem is that the classic used 225kW is a Vestas V27 which is a class 1 turbine and doesn't suit a lot of lower wind speed sites.

    In terms of cost, the 150kW between grid connection and full refurbishment/installation is going to be in and around 80-100k less so if the 225 is going to only bring in another 10/12k per year you have to really think is it worth the extra?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    84

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_tdi View Post
    The two turbines I mention are a 27m blade dia 225kW and a 24m blade dia 150kW. The 225 is doing circa 50k per annum and the 150 is doing 53k. The problem is that the classic used 225kW is a Vestas V27 which is a class 1 turbine and doesn't suit a lot of lower wind speed sites.

    In terms of cost, the 150kW between grid connection and full refurbishment/installation is going to be in and around 80-100k less so if the 225 is going to only bring in another 10/12k per year you have to really think is it worth the extra?
    Where are you in the UK? unless you are Northern Ireland you wont be able to claim Fit on the refurbished Vestas.(no matter what some of these refurbishing companies tell you) unless you can find one which no part of which has been installed under a Feed In Tarriff anywhere in Europe, even if you did Ofgem will take some persuading, and likely not accredit it. I would think that will help you decide. The 150Kw 24M Blades should pick up the wind better anyway, as you say the V27 is a class 1 machine more suitable for installation in the Outer Hebrides!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Angel Beach Antrim
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_tdi View Post
    It really can vary depending on the site. On a lower wind speed site the 150kW is likely to perform better - I know of a 150kW and a 225kW in close proximity and both outputs are very very similar. However, on a good site the 225 will probably "run away" on the 150
    what do you call a lower wind speed site,sub 6m/sec or lower

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    94

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Yes because I would imagine both Turbines would have a different Power Curve. Output & Yield is dependent on swept area of the blades, rather than rated power of the generator
    Again, yes to a degree. However generator size does matter. For instance a Turbowinds 400kW turbine will produce a lot more than a 225kW Endurance X29 than simply 34/29 which is their blade diameter. Also Windflow do several generator sizes with exactly the same blade diameter of 33m.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    131

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    It's the relationship between swept area and generator size that's key. For lower wind sites a relatively large swept area is better but on a windier site the generator might not be big enough for the power generated by the blades.

    But all this, and other subtleties (direct drive v gearbox, upwind v down wind etc etc) is captured in the power curves. The answer the original question could be yes but the 225 would have to have exactly 1.5 times the power output of the 150 at all wind speeds. It's unlikely that there are 2 turbines out there that have exactly the same power curve shape.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Angel Beach Antrim
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    my reason for asking is too lower the cost of the project, connection for the 150kw is 30k cheaper but at a guess a 225kw should bring that amount extra in during the first year. turbine cost is another viarable. 150 not refurdished at a guess 40k cheaper,again another years extra production. the costs keep mounting for a 225kw with v27 vestas getting out of control on price.currently looking at a micon 700. cost of connection now in n.i. is getting extreme,with many cases putting the last nail in the coffin

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    6

    Re: 150kw Vs 225kw

    Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    my reason for asking is too lower the cost of the project, connection for the 150kw is 30k cheaper but at a guess a 225kw should bring that amount extra in during the first year. turbine cost is another viarable. 150 not refurdished at a guess 40k cheaper,again another years extra production. the costs keep mounting for a 225kw with v27 vestas getting out of control on price.currently looking at a micon 700. cost of connection now in n.i. is getting extreme,with many cases putting the last nail in the coffin

    Im currently in the same situation, weighing up options. It took me just over 3 years to get planning!! My original plan was to install a v27 but after the initial NIE site visit it looks like the 225kw grid connection will be 100k more expensive. If I downgrade to a 150kw, I could get away without upgrading part of the line to 100mm, which would be a substantial saving along with only needing a pole mounted transformer. Also the turbine should be 40k+ cheaper???

    I wish we could connect to the 33kv line as its right beside my site... if only.

    The site was assesed back in 2011 by an independant advisor. He described it as an "Ideal location for wind energy production on a plateau of high ground at an elevation of 132m above sea level". A desktop wind speed assesment produced a figure of 6.75m/s. But with some searching online some databases show the site as being as high as 8m/s...

    Any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.
    What decision did you eventually take zsnotdead?
    Anyone else have experience with either a 225kw or 150kw

    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •