Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 3m One Pass Cultivator

Best 3m One Pass Cultivator

Anyone recommend a good 3m one pass that ticks all the boxes, well built, leaves a good finish, sensibly priced wearing parts etc... Would need to be pulled by 165ish hp over range of soils, mostly light.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Best 3m One Pass Cultivator

HEVA disc roller??

Sumo, 2.5 or 3m might struggle a bit with 3m when it's down there, our T6080 does a good enough job on stubble with a 2.5m to leave a weather proof Finnish for winter crops, followed up by a carrier drill.

carrier ?? Not sure if you could pull it deep enough and fast enough we tried one it was a 4.5 I think, that said we can blaze over stuff with the carrier drill and it will work stubble,
    what can you get on demo ???

where are u in SW, see what Compass, or smarts have on demos get em used ????
    Last edited by Big Vern; 07-09-13 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Missed a bit
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    HEVA disc roller??
    Would need something with legs tbh, but thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Sumo, 2.5 or 3m might struggle a bit with 3m when it's down there, our T6080 does a good enough job on stubble with a 2.5m to leave a weather proof Finnish for winter crops, followed up by a carrier drill.

carrier ?? Not sure if you could pull it deep enough and fast enough we tried one it was a 4.5 I think, that said we can blaze over stuff with the carrier drill and it will work stubble,
    what can you get on demo ???

where are u in SW, see what Compass, or smarts have on demos get em used ????
    Near Swindon, demo wise: McConnel, Weaving, Quivogne, maybe Horsch...

Discerator.... We tried one, it was lighter than the sumo, I think I boss got a good deal on the sumo.. And as the proverb say. - he who pays the piper calls the tune....

get them all in and see which suits, and more importantly the best deal!!! Luck
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    HEVA disc roller??
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazry View Post
    Stick a Combi Lift in front of it. But you might be struggling to pull 3m.
    I'm tesing a 2.5m version next week with similar HP to what you are at.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

http://www.plowmanbrothers.com/user/...omnitil-v2.pdf

This. Prize winning machine (best plot at power in action) was on my farm for evaluation last week, and for a cynical blunt Yorkshireman (!) I have to say I am impressed! We had 170hp pulling it in some rock hard un diggable with a spade spring barley stubble after taties last year. 16" deep, 5mph, awesome finish.
    Video to follow.

Spud

What sort of dirt, what sort of jobs are we hoping to do with it, and most importantly, what grass weeds are you up against?

Sumos, topdowns, Solos, if you have blackgrass you don't want to be using them every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazry View Post

Near Swindon, demo wise: McConnel, Weaving, Quivogne, maybe Horsch...

Swindon and South West aren't things that I would normally associate together

Sumo trio or horsch (can't remember the name, not the joker)

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    What sort of dirt, what sort of jobs are we hoping to do with it, and most importantly, what grass weeds are you up against?

Sumos, topdowns, Solos, if you have blackgrass you don't want to be using them every year.
    Fair bit of sand, bit of clay in places. Be nice to get an air seeder and drill rape straight into stubble, rip up maize ground as well. Usual grass weeds but nothing too serious, no plans to sell the plough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post
    Swindon and South West aren't things that I would normally associate together
    Good couple of miles south west of Swindon mind

Some may remember quite a long thread on here back in 2011 when we were demoing machines like this, none really impressed enough to persuade me to change from our ancient Simba cub discs and press and 22yo Shakerator. However, I have to confess this one gets a bit nearer. Tractor not well shod, dynoed a month or so back at 176hp, shes ready for a set of injectors. Field was spring barley stubble after taties last year, and b hard, as mentioned above.

The good bits: Low draft legs, dont take anything like as much pulling as some of the competition;
    Multiple easy to change wear parts, with tungsten where its needed
    Easier to adjust than some
    No danger of tyre damage
    Much kinder to tractor than at least two others we tried
    Effective discs
    Good consolidation, without been so heavy it would compact too much when a bit damp
    Very strong build, finished off very nicely, impressive atention to detail in manufacture
    Build by a good company with a strong reputation for good quality products

The less good bits: I still dont like individual leg adjustment, too easy to avoid the job
    Like almost every other machine of its type, barely goes deep enough. The legs are long enough and strong enough, but the discs restrict tine depth.
    Not the cheapest to buy, but quite likely the best value.

Video attatched.

What machine are you talking of, spud? I can't see the video link.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    What machine are you talking of, spud? I can't see the video link.

maybe this is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfubGK6N80

simba x-press with st toolbar on front

Mr Peckitt is working hard demoing that plowman omnitil , We had it for half a day alongside a trio. A fairly even match I'd say, The NG points do seem a very good design, smaller packer than on our 2008 trio but did just as good a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    Sumo trio or horsch (can't remember the name, not the joker)
    Terrano?

are they painting trio's green now then

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

Thats it James, the very video. I must of pressed a wrong button or summat!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim shiny View Post
    Terrano?

are they painting trio's green now then
    don't think theres much chance of the sumo's changing colour itt'll be the simba stuff your thinking of that is going green, yup the horsch thing i was thinking of is terranoFX

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Some may remember quite a long thread on here back in 2011 when we were demoing machines like this, none really impressed enough to persuade me to change from our ancient Simba cub discs and press and 22yo Shakerator. However, I have to confess this one gets a bit nearer. Tractor not well shod, dynoed a month or so back at 176hp, shes ready for a set of injectors. Field was spring barley stubble after taties last year, and b hard, as mentioned above.

The good bits: Low draft legs, dont take anything like as much pulling as some of the competition;
    Multiple easy to change wear parts, with tungsten where its needed
    Easier to adjust than some
    No danger of tyre damage
    Much kinder to tractor than at least two others we tried
    Effective discs
    Good consolidation, without been so heavy it would compact too much when a bit damp
    Very strong build, finished off very nicely, impressive atention to detail in manufacture
    Build by a good company with a strong reputation for good quality products

The less good bits: I still dont like individual leg adjustment, too easy to avoid the job
    Like almost every other machine of its type, barely goes deep enough. The legs are long enough and strong enough, but the discs restrict tine depth.
    Not the cheapest to buy, but quite likely the best value.

Video attatched.
    Great reply, anyone would think you were on commission

Anyone any experience with Weaving Subdiscs or any of the Quivogne stuff?

How can Mr Plowman make such a blatant copy of a Trio and get away with it ? Shaun must be well peeved.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotty Dog View Post
    How can Mr Plowman make such a blatant copy of a Trio and get away with it ? Shaun must be well peeved.

Yes he is,

I'm amazed spud hasn't noticed it's exactly the same as the '12 model proto trio he tried ???, only the soil conditions are different

I'll say no more for legal reasons, just hope that common sense and fairness wins through in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    Yes he is,

I'm amazed spud hasn't noticed it's exactly the same as the '12 model proto trio he tried ???, only the soil conditions are different

I'll say no more for legal reasons, just hope that common sense and fairness wins through in the end.
    the cousins patriot is another very similar and excellent machine.is the trio patented Shaun
    nick........

Yes he is,

There are some similarities between machines for sure. The Dalbo supermax, for instance, uses older type sumo legs, in a similar configuration to the Trio, and sumo discs, with a different packer.
    The Omnitil legs, and their configuration is quite different to the 12 model proto Sumo that I demoed, as is the job it does. That's not to say the 12 Trio is an inferior machine, just not right for us.
    the discs are the same (as are virtually every machine of this kind) and the packer is very similar, though it doesn't seem to thump the soil down as aggressively as the Sumo (important in wetter conditions after spuds)
    Every machine has its own idiosyncrasies, and these two are no different. The way that they operate in the soil, and interact with the tractor, is very different, IMO.

To answer Gazry's question above, (and no im not on commission(!), merely an honest farmer giving an honest, unbiased, and accurate opinion, warts and all (MY opinion, fwiw) as a member of this ere forum.
    Back in Nov 2011, the Quivogne and Weaving subdisc were among the machines compared, and as above, both have their merits. Weaving cheaper to buy and run, though suffered as most did with the inability to do as deep as our existing machine. We could drill straight behind it though, because it made the best of tilth produced, and didn't slam the soil down back into lumps. IMO with a row of discs in front of the legs as well as behind, and the ability to run at 18" deep where necessary, it'd be brilliant.
    Quivogne good tool, but we felt it was more of a stubble cultivator than a subsoiler in our situation.
    One notable machine not tried yet is the Cousins Patriot, and there have been more come to the market since 2011, not least the Terratech variation.
    Disc and tine combinations are nowt unique to any one manufacturer, nor is it a recent phenomon, when did the original Solo's appear? (Mono as it was back then), 1970's?

best regards, Spud.

Quote Originally Posted by nick... View Post
    the cousins patriot is another very similar and excellent machine.is the trio patented Shaun
    nick........
    No doubt excellent Nick...., but surely quite different, in that its just about the only one with fixed legs but adjustable discs, opposite to the majority, which tend to fix the discs and individually adjust. As I said though, I can't speak from experience on this one, merely from observation.

Spud

There are some similarities between machines for sure. The Dalbo supermax, for instance, uses older type sumo legs, in a similar configuration to the Trio, and sumo discs, with a different packer.
    The Omnitil legs, and their configuration is quite different to the 12 model proto Sumo that I demoed, as is the job it does. That's not to say the 12 Trio is an inferior machine, just not right for us.
    the discs are the same (as are virtually every machine of this kind) and the packer is very similar, though it doesn't seem to thump the soil down as aggressively as the Sumo (important in wetter conditions after spuds)
    Every machine has its own idiosyncrasies, and these two are no different. The way that they operate in the soil, and interact with the tractor, is very different, IMO.

To answer Gazry's question above, (and no im not on commission(!), merely an honest farmer giving an honest, unbiased, and accurate opinion, warts and all (MY opinion, fwiw) as a member of this ere forum.
    Back in Nov 2011, the Quivogne and Weaving subdisc were among the machines compared, and as above, both have their merits. Weaving cheaper to buy and run, though suffered as most did with the inability to do as deep as our existing machine. We could drill straight behind it though, because it made the best of tilth produced, and didn't slam the soil down back into lumps. IMO with a row of discs in front of the legs as well as behind, and the ability to run at 18" deep where necessary, it'd be brilliant.
    Quivogne good tool, but we felt it was more of a stubble cultivator than a subsoiler in our situation.
    One notable machine not tried yet is the Cousins Patriot, and there have been more come to the market since 2011, not least the Terratech variation.
    Disc and tine combinations are nowt unique to any one manufacturer, nor is it a recent phenomon, when did the original Solo's appear? (Mono as it was back then), 1970's?

best regards, Spud.

Jeez, it's exactly the same, to the mm, believe me, I drew it

we've made quite a few improvements since then.

the only differences are paint colour and the Metcalfe feet.

We have a 3m Trio so I can recommend one of those as we are very happy with it and its been out working some heavy land for a neighbour last week and it took all 200 ponies up front but made a hell of a job and has now been drilled with wheat. You will manage a 2.5 on your hp but for 3m with our varied land 200hp seems a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    don't think theres much chance of the sumo's changing colour itt'll be the simba stuff your thinking of that is going green, yup the horsch thing i was thinking of is terranoFX
    think he meant slimey green not dark green

Jeez, it's exactly the same, to the mm, believe me, I drew it

we've made quite a few improvements since then.

the only differences are paint colour and the Metcalfe feet.

I assume you drew the Sumo trio? By my observations, the legs in the Trio are closer to the tractor wheels than the Omnitil, hence my comment about configuration. The legs are quite different, particularly re wear parts. What have you changed since the 2012 trio? (How many variations are they?)

best regards, Spud.
    I was only pulling your leg, not very often you get such an in depth review of a machine - shame we don't see a few more like it!

Thanks for the bits on Weaving and Quivogne.