Thread: jcb 4cx help needed

jcb 4cx help needed

been working in it today been fine just pushing ruble seems to stoped drive

lift all wheels of floor they turn change gear ect put weight back on stops engine doesn't die just seem like clutch gone but far as i know doesn't have one
    its a 1994 where do i start
    all oils ok far as i can see

Re: jcb 4cx help needed

Quote Originally Posted by valtrarule View Post
    been working in it today been fine just pushing ruble seems to stoped drive

lift all wheels of floor they turn change gear ect put weight back on stops engine doesn't die just seem like clutch gone but far as i know doesn't have one
    its a 1994 where do i start
    all oils ok far as i can see
    are they turning with drag? cause they will do that anyway just about. if so it could be electrical. so check fuses, relays and forward/reverse lever, power supply to transmission ecu and the earth to ecu assuming its a powershift which I think they all are? if not then sounds like you may have lost main pressure assuming drive is lost in all gears inc reverse?

Check the suction screen in the bottom of transmission? check the wire is on on the transmission pressure switch as if you have lost all pressure then that should be on?

Torque converter drive plate on flywheel gone? although you will hear that banging around in the bell housing normally?

Proberly just electrics

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    are they turning with drag? cause they will do that anyway just about. if so it could be electrical. so check fuses, relays and forward/reverse lever, power supply to transmission ecu and the earth to ecu assuming its a powershift which I think they all are? if not then sounds like you may have lost main pressure assuming drive is lost in all gears inc reverse?

Check the suction screen in the bottom of transmission? check the wire is on on the transmission pressure switch as if you have lost all pressure then that should be on?

Torque converter drive plate on flywheel gone? although you will hear that banging around in the bell housing normally?

Proberly just electrics
    no drives when up in air has can speed wheels up ect with gears when put it back down trys a little bit then just sits there reving

no drives when up in air has can speed wheels up ect with gears when put it back down trys a little bit then just sits there reving
    if it does it in all gears and directions then it sounds like a main pressure problem, so check oil level, check suction strainer. then i'm afraid it'll be a recon box as will be internal I would think. it may be worth replacing the worm gasket on the top of transmission under the solenoids but its a long shot.

it may be torque converter pump failure which would still mean you will have to take trans out, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    if it does it in all gears and directions then it sounds like a main pressure problem, so check oil level, check suction strainer. then i'm afraid it'll be a recon box as will be internal I would think. it may be worth replacing the worm gasket on the top of transmission under the solenoids but its a long shot.

it may be torque converter pump failure which would still mean you will have to take trans out, good luck.
    thanks for help just been looking at manual think going start with suction plate dropped the oil about 5 mouths ago and it was brown only had it 7 mouths didnt do suction plate
    if its ok in morning when cold would you say thats pressure rather than suction plate

on dropping oil seems to be pink rather than red so dose that mean water if so were from

on dropping oil seems to be pink rather than red so dose that mean water if so were from
    prob water from engine, trans cooler mite be leaking!

just took 4wd unit of no strainer in box like manual said ?the one strainer pipe what i can see is two 13mm bolts and then pulls out not from inside just on outer of box full of what looks like red rust were is the transmission radiator and dose it have water running thru it

Trans cooler is behind front grill, looks like a round tube with a water pipe on either end and 2 hydraulic pipes coming off it too!

Like this one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-PARTS-...item3a83958d2a

thanks so if thats gone water would get in is that about right for price

just took 4wd unit of no strainer in box like manual said ?the one strainer pipe what i can see is two 13mm bolts and then pulls out not from inside just on outer of box full of what looks like red rust were is the transmission radiator and dose it have water running thru it
    Suction filter is the one behind the plate with 2 bolts that you have found.

Pink oil would indicate water in oil if its got standard red ATF oil in the box.

If it had the proper JCB special trans oil EP10 which is clearish, then who knows? you say rust on suction strainer? friction material from clutch packs would normally be black/brown?

you could have a oil cooler like the link in one of the above posts these would be common to fail and let water in from the engine coolent and rust if coolent is rusty coloured.

How ever the 4 cx that I look after for a chap which is not far off the age of yours? has separate rads for water/transmission and hydraulic oil, his 4 cx is one with the variable displacement hydraulic pump not the standard gear pump though.

Long term water in the transmission will cause the friction material on the clutch plates to disintergrate and come unstuck due to steam building up in side the box.
    As well as not doing the pump/converter and bearings much good, If been left a long time but not worked hard enough to get hot and cause steam then the top of the gearbox could be rusty inside too?

Clean it all out and flush it though by removing the return pipe from the cooler until oil runs clean for starters then get it pressure tested.

there is also this type of cooler too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-Oil-Co...item4aaa1e922a

The bits on the strainer are brown looks like rust but could be clutch plates if it was the plates would it not be all the time once gone rather than when it's warm the cooler is rusty but don't no if that bad quit a bit on strainer shore when did it last time it waS clean

If clutch as gone what the sighns.

i recently loss 1st 2nd and 4th in a 2011 3cx eco , fuse was blowing leaving me with only 3rd , also had got stuck in 4wd

removed 4wd fuse and that disengaged ,then replaced trans fuse and got 4th back
    jacked machine up and wheels tried to turn in 1st and 2nd and you could hear a noise coming from the trans like it was trying

pressure test showed low pressure in those gears , ended up being the ECU for the trans ,good job they sussed it before striping the gearbox down
    quoted 11k for a new box

for it to just go like that i would be checking electrics first ,then pressure tests

EDIT long shot but i think that machine is too early to have the trans cutout when the handbrake is applied

Quote Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
    i recently loss 1st 2nd and 4th in a 2011 3cx eco , fuse was blowing leaving me with only 3rd , also had got stuck in 4wd

removed 4wd fuse and that disengaged ,then replaced trans fuse and got 4th back
    jacked machine up and wheels tried to turn in 1st and 2nd and you could hear a noise coming from the trans like it was trying

pressure test showed low pressure in those gears , ended up being the ECU for the trans ,good job they sussed it before striping the gearbox down
    quoted 11k for a new box

for it to just go like that i would be checking electrics first ,then pressure tests

EDIT long shot but i think that machine is too early to have the trans cutout when the handbrake is applied
    it dose have the handbrake cut out but like said when of floor worked in every gear seems ok now cold again so swaping oil filters new cooler and will let you all know what happens next

The bits on the strainer are brown looks like rust but could be clutch plates if it was the plates would it not be all the time once gone rather than when it's warm the cooler is rusty but don't no if that bad quit a bit on strainer shore when did it last time it waS clean
    not necessarly all the time no just depends how far gone it is and more importantly how much oil pressure getting to the packs as when hot even on a good transmission the pressure will drop slightly, and a old worn transmission can have normal pressure about 160psi ish for yours and then drop back to less than 100psi when hot which is when you will start to see problems as less than 100psi and the packs will start slipping.

it really does sound like a recon job to me some times if the bits on the strainer are big enough and are clutch pack material you can see the oil groves that would have been on the surface of the disc etc if its clutch pack material it won't stick to a magnet either where as if its rust it should so you should find it all stuck to the magnet too.