Thread: Turnip help

Turnip help

Hey all.
    I will have 2 acre of early spuds next year, and farm shops are mad for me to supply turnips. Which isnt a bad idea sowing them after i harvest the spuds.

I have no idea about turnips, whether its better sowing them on ridges or on the flat.
    Can anyone tell me about the sprays and chemicals involved? I mean its 2acre i will have, picking them by hand. I have no idea about cost of seed nor cost of the spray.

Re: Turnip help

Sow them on the ridge it makes for easy pulling. 3-5cwt 10 20 20, 1.25l Butisan at sowing prescision drilled 6 inch centres. They like Sulphur and need Boron, some say a whiff of Proline or Amistar keeps disease away. Cabbage fly beetle a real pest when at Cotyledon stage.

For weed control try 1lt ha butisan and 100 mls ha clomazone . Check with an agronomist first.

Fella called Coles grows Swedes all over the south west, I believe they use a fine mesh net over the beds on the swedes, I think it's to do with some fly protection ?? To be honest he is a " huge" grower grows 100s, acs probably 1000s,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster